Interesting article about Ladyboy sexworkers in Patts

zaronxas

http://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/11/thailands-transsexual-workers-seek-empowerment-not-pity/

I don't know if this is the right place for this but thought it was an interesting read.  They interviewed Alice who used to work in La Bamba back in the day.

Great article!     :happy0065:

Lots of Alis fans here; article says she's 34 now.

Alis said:

“I like sex work because… it makes me feel good,” she said. “I can choose [the man]. It’s up to me. I can do my way. I can dance and have music, drinking [and] relax.”

Another interesting bit of information is that approximately 5,000 lbs are in Pattaya with 75% of them in the p4p scene. That means there are around 3750 p4p lbs in p4p Pattaya scene. I think this likely includes part-timers, but that is a large number - a punter couldn't meet them all even at a clip of 10 lbs per day for a year!

• Upvote 1

Yes, good article.  Anything that in anyway humanizes LBs is a good thing.

I'm not entirely convinced of the 5,000 LBs in Pattaya figure, though, although it is a mecca for LBs whether they are actively in p4p or not - the critical mass of other LBs, the social support network, etc.  I've always had the gut feeling that there were around 1,000 "full-time" p4p LBs active in Pattaya.  Al Gore's invention of the interwebs has changed things, though, so "part-time" p4p has come into existence. 

I've also always thought that if decent (i.e., 40 hour week) jobs for high school grads were readily available that paid a minimal living wage of 15,000 baht per month the number of GGs and LBs in p4p would be cut in half.

• Upvote 2

I've also always thought that if decent (i.e., 40 hour week) jobs for high school grads were readily available that paid a minimal living wage of 15,000 baht per month the number of GGs and LBs in p4p would be cut in half.

I'm not so sure. Thailand has near full employment and any one that wants a "regular" job can have one. At least Alis is honest and freely admits that she likes working in P4P.