Do You Still Use Internet Cafes?

Stroker

With the abundance of tablets, smartphones and small laptops does anyone still use Internet cafes while travelling and if not when was the last time you did?

Personally I don't think I have used one for a couple of years and that was just to print a document from a PCs.

I bought myself a Samsung Ace Duos smartphone off Ebay a week ago in the hope of doing away with using Internet Cafes while Im on holiday next month, unfortunately Im not so smart so probably wont have a clue how to use it  :crazy:

So my answer is Yes I use Internet Cafes all the time when Im away, the one I use in Manila is about a twenty minute walk from the Hotel and the one in Angeles City is across the road from my Hotel on Fields Avenue.

As for Thailand they are in abundance but fortunately my room at the Chow Soy comes complete with its own desktop computer which comes in very handy indeed. B)

I will ask one question if I may, do I need a sim card in my smartphone to be able to connect to WiFi? My phone was bought from Portugal and did not come with a manual, thanx in advance  :hi:

I will ask one question if I may, do I need a sim card in my smartphone to be able to connect to WiFi? My phone was bought from Portugal and did not come with a manual, thanx in advance  :hi:

You probably won't need a SIM if your phone can do regular WiFi and where ever you are there is usable WiFi hot spot. In Thailand with a AIS SIM, and other brands I'm sure, you can get 3G internet on your phone for something like 79B a week. So you can have internet anywhere you go. So the practical answer is yes you need a SIM if you want to do internet most everywhere.

I haven't used an internet cafe in years. In years gone by many places I stayed didn't have internet/reliable internet. So I used them back in the day.

• Upvote 1

I don't know about just using the WiFi...But its a new rule in Thailand you can't use your mobile without registering it..

http://tech.thaivisa.com/sim-card-registration-starts-today/3627/

I don't know about just using the WiFi...But its a new rule in Thailand you can't use your mobile without registering it..

http://tech.thaivisa.com/sim-card-registration-starts-today/3627/

Just take your passport with you to 7/11 and buy a SIM. They have the equipment now to take a picture of your passport.

Will my Commodore 64 work when I am in LOS?

Yes but the CRT monitor may result in airline overweight baggage fees... :biggrin:

I bought myself a Samsung Ace Duos smartphone off Ebay a week ago in the hope of doing away with using Internet Cafes while Im on holiday next month, unfortunately Im not so smart so probably wont have a clue how to use it  :crazy:

So my answer is Yes I use Internet Cafes all the time when Im away, the one I use in Manila is about a twenty minute walk from the Hotel and the one in Angeles City is across the road from my Hotel on Fields Avenue.

As for Thailand they are in abundance but fortunately my room at the Chow Soy comes complete with its own desktop computer which comes in very handy indeed. B)

You shouldn't need a sim card to connect to wifi as long as you know the password, or if it is not secured. However, keep in mind if it is not secured, it is possible to have your passwords for other sites, e-mail, banking, etc, hacked, so be aware of that when you connect.

You should be able to find and download the manual for your phone from Samsung. It will help you a lot!

Back to the topic at hand - no, I don't use internet cafes and anyone who does should be aware it is common for these places to be infected with malware/viruses that will hack your passwords. Don't do anything on internet cafe computers that involve financial transactions or passwords that are common to any of your sites where you value privacy.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

I use an internet cafe when I need something printing-out, which is usually once a year.

On those annual visits it should take no more than 5 minutes, but inevitably the PC's OS is setup in Thai, including the browser. After I've eventually logged into my email and printed off my three sheets of shit I want to delete those personal files from the cache. Not necessarily as easy as it sounds on one of Johnny foreigner's locked-down boxes.

I know it's Thailand and all that, but you'd think they'd have the common sense to setup one or two computers properly for the farang with proper languages on it. Otherwise every option on every menu is just a succession of undecipherable squiggles.

What I should start doing is taking only the files I need on a memory stick and printing them off from there.

Now why didn't I think of that before?!   :rolleye0012:

• Upvote 2

I bought myself a Samsung Ace Duos smartphone off Ebay a week ago in the hope of doing away with using Internet Cafes while Im on holiday next month, unfortunately Im not so smart  so probably wont have a clue how to use it  :crazy:

I ended up giving my smartphone away  :rolleye0012: