Ulster Boy

JaiDee

Fantastic energy in that brogue!

A long time ago I worked for several years with a contractor who came from a village on the north end of No. Ireland & had what sounded like a Scot's accent. My mother is from the Republic & I grew up surrounded by brogues but I never heard one that sounded like his... it's amazing all the regional variations in such a small island, I guess isolation fostered this. 

• Upvote 1

Goodness me that is a strong accent, almost as though he's playing to the camera. I've a number of good friends from Northern Ireland and while one of them can be quite difficult to understand on the phone, this fella's dialogue goes to another level.

Be interesting to read what our members resident in NI think of this characters screenplay.

Yep, some of the errr, "country folk" from our small and pleasant land, may as well come from a different planet.

I used to work with 2 guys from Portadown, which is about 35 miles south of Belfast. I can tell you without fear of contradiction, there were times when they spoke I just had to nod my head and pretend I knew what they were saying, such was the rarity of their brogue.

Same of people from Ballymena, which is about the same distance North of Belfast. A whole language of their own, bless 'em.

• Upvote 1

The first Northern Irish guy I ever met was actually from Portadown as well; this was way before I ever started traveling in Asia and met all sorts of people from there as well as lots of other Euro countries, which really broadened my horizons.   He pronounced it "Porta-doon." 

He was rather easy to understand for the most part, but when we used to have some chats about The Troubles and the true cause of them, it would get really confusing.....once he gave me a book, a novel but based on fact from around 1380, and said "JD, read this book and you will understand everything."  Unfortunately, after reading I was more confused than ever :-)

The very first Belfast accent I ever heard was from Jake Burns, talking to the crowd in between songs and telling us "you people are lucky, you have no idea what it's like growing up in a war zone."  That was back in1980, the Nobodies Hero tour.

Goodness me that is a strong accent, almost as though he's playing to the camera. 

Yes I think he is, apparently he has a YouTube page where he does impersonations of that Irish legend Daniel O'Donnell .

It is a cracking accent though and yes people do talk like that especially in the Derry direction , when someone from there say's the word one as in " I'll have one please " it is pronounced waaaannn .

Speaking of  Daniel O'Donnell I remember reading a few years back that Barack Obama planned to acknowledge the part he had played in American history when he visited Dublin .

I had to do a double take but he was in fact referring to Daniel O Connell  who was a strong advocate for abolishing slavery and not the County Donegall warbler . 

Yes I think he is, apparently he has a YouTube page where he does impersonations of that Irish legend Daniel O'Donnell .

It is a cracking accent though and yes people do talk like that especially in the Derry direction , when someone from there say's the word one as in " I'll have one please " it is pronounced waaaannn .

Speaking of  Daniel O'Donnell I remember reading a few years back that Barack Obama planned to acknowledge the part he had played in American history when he visited Dublin .

I had to do a double take but he was in fact referring to Daniel O Connell  who was a strong advocate for abolishing slavery and not the County Donegall warbler .

nice one jim.....reminds me of the joke about dan o

D,maggie thatcher and the rev ian paisley....and.the hitman with only 2 bullets.....who does the hitman shoot?