Band Names

SiamSam

Yes, The Doors took their name from a book title "The Doors of Perception" by Aldous Huxley. (and I believe even that came from a quotation by someone else).

There is an Australian blues band THE BONDI CIGARS, who took their name from the sewage outflow at Bondi with reference to the turds floating in the sea from said outflow.

Interesting idea for a thread Sam.

• Upvote 1

i remember a TV host asked John Lennon if Ringo Starr was one of the best drummers in the world.

Lennon replied " hes not even the best drummer in the Beatles" . i loved Lennon i must say ...

Anyway the early music they played was partly/mainly " Beat" music so my guess is thats the answer

Could that be based on the hour clock which was supposed to tell us how close we were to nuclear war? 

In a similar vein, there is Van Halen album called '5150'......what is that number based on?

In the earlier 19th century the US and Canada disputed where the border should be between the two terrorities of Oregon and Columbia district. Both countries laid claim. 54-40 comes from "Fifty-Four Forty or Fight" which was the slogan US president James Polk used in his campaign to push the border from the 49th parallel to the parallel of 54-40 which would have taken it to the Alaskan border. He was unsuccessful.

The Canadian band 54-40 is from Tsawwassen, British Comlumbia which happens to be on the 49th parallel.

Here's another one; Malcolm McClaren became famous as the manager of a bunch of snot-nosed kids from the housing estates outside London, right when punk was getting started.

What was the name of his clothing shop on the King's Road in London at that time? Vivienne Westwood was also involved in that store and all the punks used to hang around there circa 1976.

OK, this one was at quiz night, and I nailed it......but so did Rte 67, not surprisingly;  which U.K.  band got their name based on an English agricultural scientist, the man who invented the automatic seeding machine in the 1700's?

Jethro Tull. Saw them in concert years ago, fantastic show. Was going to buy VIP tickets for a later tour which was cancelled when Ian Anderson fell off the stage in New Zealand (think it was NZ) & broke his ankle. They've never been back!