My 3 month trip to Cebu.

Topcat72m

Hi Top Cat 

few of us consider how to go about starting new friendships or even meeting other expats, once` we move to our new and permanent  overseas abode.  I'm just wondering how you factored this requirement into your plans for moving to Cebu ?

In any event, I hope your plans work out and you really enjoy your new life in the Philippines !!

I'm at least a year away from a possible permanent move. This is a first step towards future planning.

With regard to making new friends I have been using a forum for expats in Cebu to make some introductions but to be honest I have moved to new areas a few times where I knew nobody and made friends fairly quickly so I'm not really worried about that side of things.

If it turns out to be a place that is unwelcoming and difficult to find friends then I won't be moving there.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

OK a week to go. I have nearly all I need. I have bags packed tickets, maps, phone numbers.

I have divided my budget in three parts.

First is accommodation in Cebu for 3 months. Even though I will not spend all my time in Cebu I like to have the security of a fairly permanent base of operations. This works out approximately $2000 for the trip.

Second is travel and resort accommodation. This is also $2000 and should be enough to spend time travelling to Bohol, Dumaguette, Moalboal, and a week or two in Thailand. When its gone its gone.

Lastly my entertainment and living budget. This is about $400pw.

I know its not lavish but should be sufficient for a good time.

Lastly is an emergency fund of $1000. If its not needed it will be spent towards the end of the trip.

I have used US dollars as most people can relate to them.

I think this might be the kind of information people are interested in.

I also have phone numbers for several girls. Two I will definitely be meeting and a few others just in case.

Three months of planning and chatting online to many girls. Hoping that it bears fruit.

• Upvote 5

Greetings Topcat !!

Hope your 3 month trip to Cebu goes well, and you have a fantastic time, hope you stay in touch on the forum and keep us all informed of any useful information that any of us may need for future trips, and lastly have a safe journey !!!

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the breakdown, seems like more than enough $$$, that emergency fund $1k might be invested in Immodium AD & toilet paper but who knows :biggrin:    I like to bookend my trips with a short stay at a 4-5 star property, the Shangrila on Mactan or Makati for example, if you have funds to spare, it's a nice 1-2 day buffer before & after a long flight. 

I've never stayed 3 months though, 3 weeks is my record up to now, but I have the option next year for a long stay & I'm eyeing Cebu, Davao & Dumaguete. You should probably schedule a trip to Boracay sometime, it will never be less developed than it is now. 

Sounds good tho.... :happy0065:

• Upvote 2

Ok last check in here before I leave home.

Its 5pm hehe and ill be leaving the house at midnight. I will get a bus to the airport and relax there for a an hour or s before my flight.

First stop Amsterdam then hongkong then Cebu about midday Tuesday.

I think it will be about Wednesday before I check in here again.

I'll give you mu first impressions then.

• Upvote 1

:hi:

Ok last check in here before I leave home.

Its 5pm hehe and ill be leaving the house at midnight. I will get a bus to the airport and relax there for a an hour or s before my flight.

First stop Amsterdam then hongkong then Cebu about midday Tuesday.

I think it will be about Wednesday before I check in here again.

I'll give you mu first impressions then.

Have a great trip you lucky bastard.  :biggrin: Wishing you all the best and very safe travels/adventures. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Bon Voyage.

Not really what I expected. It's kinda like a poor Mediterranean city.

I got into mactan/cebu airport at 1145 yesterday. I was very tired from the journey. Getting through the airport was painless enough. Got money from the ATM outside and got a taxi to my hotel. I thought the taxi driver was nice he pointed out some landmarks as we were going.

The hotel is not the best but OK. I found it difficult to sleep with the noise of the aircon so I rested a while then I went to buy a local phone and eat. I thought I'd walk for a while and try to get my bearings but felt lost straight away so I stopped a taxi so I wouldn't look like the lost stranger in the wrong side of town in the dark.

Stopped at Ayala mall. I read this place was big. It open big but after walking around it it was pretty easy to find everything. I picked up some price guides and went for something to eat while I looked through the various models. I ended buying a cherry mobile cosmos s. Very similar to the iphone6 but Android. I needed to charge this so got a taxi back (taxis are cheap here). I decided to go out for a beer while the phone was charging and as I. Irish and passed an Irish bar on the way to the hotel I decided to find it. Again I decided to walk. This time I didn't get lost. Found marshals bar and orderd. Pretty soon I had a British guy and a phil/american sitting next to me. The British guy was about 28yo and was back packing around. The American was an exconvict avoiding jail in the US about 50yo. Pretty entertaining. We were joined later by a couple of cute girls who made it obvious that they were available I however wasn't in the mood. There was a guy playing guitar and singing and I was just happy to chill.

I lefty 2am and walked back to the hotel. I was approached by a girl and her friend who offered a party but again I was just thinking about sleeping.

Lying in bed now 7.50am thinking about getting up. I missed a call and texts from a ladyboy I am to be having breakfast with but I think she is sleeping now.

I'll update soon.

• Upvote 1

Given that you've got a long and winding road ahead of you TC your pacing is just fine. Slow and easy. Reminds me of an old joke I heard:

An old bull and a young bull are on top of a hill looking down at a herd of cows. The young bull jumping up and down with excitement says to the old bull: "Lets run down there and fuck a cow!!". The old bull looks at him and calmly says: "No son, lets walk down there and fuck them all." 

Pacing...  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Your internal clock needs time to adjust to the almost opposite time there + the heat/humidity + different culture adjustment. As Sam says pace yourself & get the lay of the land. In a lot of ways you have to burrow in since there is very little in the way of touristic activities there as in other places except for the beaches.

The expat bar is always a good place for local info, try Drifters in Banilad (Gaisano Country mall) or El Gecko near the Mango Ave bars.

• Upvote 2

I think you're right Hefe. Its now 3pm and I'm wrecked. But I have things to do. I got invited to a get away this weekend to a beach resort. At least 2 ladyboys will be going. Also was contacted be another who wants to meet up soon in cebu. Decisions. Hard to choose.

As much as I'd like to go to the beach resort I have to get my accommodation sorted for next week so I think I'll give it a skip. Even though the probability of being the filling in a ladyboy sandwich is high.

• Upvote 3

Update

I left the hotel. I'm now staying at a condo/studio apartment. Its in mobolo and costs p20,000 pm. I found places from p13,500 all the way up. For something in a good location someone should budget for between p20,000 and p35,000 per month on a 3 month lease.

If you stay longer than a year you can signicantly reduce this. I found a place within walking distance of ayala mall.

If your looking for girls go there in the evening. They're usually in the terraces TGIs BOs or just walking or eating. You won't be looking long before you see some. Just say hi. They will do the rest.

• Upvote 2

Yes, I found trolling malls in the PI to be fertile grounds. Even had waitresses volunteer to meet me after work when I asked questions about the town, etc... Of course I am an irresistably hansum man!   :biggrin:  

Especially the food court areas where they hang out.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Stealth.

There are very few typical days. Much of the time I'm going on an adventure planning my next one or recovering from my last. I'm not getting any younger lol.

My medium plan is to return home next month and start planning my next trip.

My longterm plan is to prepare for a decent retirement while I'm young enough to still enjoy it. Maybe in 2 or 3 years.

• Upvote 1

The purpose of the trip was to see was this a place I could retire to on my modest pension. With a view to enjoying a few ladyboy companions at the same time.

Today I find that my pension is enough to live here. However I won't be ready for about two years. As for the ladyboy question. This place exceeded my expectations hugely. There is an abundance of very attractive girls with most wishing for someone who will just treat them nice and not play them.

So overall I would say it exceeded my expectations.

As a caveat I have to say there are many things frustrating about the Philippines. The service industry is very poor by international standards. But the people you meet make up for it.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...