Roll Those Tanks!

Guest route67

Guest route67

It seems that the Russian government is ramping up the rhetoric now that their boy has been ousted and an arrest warrant issued for him.

Of course, it's all a plot by 'terrorists' and the West to 'destabilise' the region.  Natch.

So, how long will it be before the tanks roll in order to 'protect' the Russian minority in the Ukraine?

Will this be Hungary ('56), Czechoslovakia ('68), & etc., all over again?

Or might Czechoslovakia ('38) be closer?

Of course, the tanks may NOT roll.  Fingers crossed, anyway.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I wouldn't put any money on it one way or another.

Russia already grabbed one Russian region from Georgia years ago,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia%E2%80%93South_Ossetia_relations

And they really would like to control the Crimea where their Black Sea fleet is ( rumor has it Khrushchev gave Crimea to Ukraine when he was drunk one night ). http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21596941-west-must-take-tough-stand-government-ukraineand-russias-leader-putins?spc=scode&spv=xm&ah=9d7f7ab945510a56fa6d37c30b6f1709

I'm actually really surprised just how far the Ukranian uprising has gone already; Stalin and Khruschev would have crushed that shit a long time ago. But I fear 67 may be right;  could be just a matter of time before Vlad rolls in the tanks, especially now that the Olympics are over.

From Snick's link; "South Ossetia" ......weird, that was one of the final 5 questions at quiz night last night. The capital?  Tskhinvali!

Here is a photo of Kiev from last week, looks like a screen shot from a movie.

post-107-0-37574100-1393318004_thumb.jpg

And, of course, the country who proclaims the most outrage over this [besides the people of Ukraine] has a history of doing the same exact shit in......wait for it.......  Chile, Vietnam, Iraq, Guatemala, Grenada, Afghanistan, Iran, Nicaragua, etc......

post-107-0-36893400-1393756576_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Russia is basically a Gas Company with Tanks.. If Putin turns the tap off the EU would badly suffer. Energy is the only game in town and he holds the Aces.. the E Bomb

Europe wont get involved with sanctions. 

Couldn't agree more despite all his posturing Cameron won't get involved , the super rich of London who buy up all the big properties are almost exclusively Russian he won't want to upset them .

Many of the left still seem to carry a bit of a soft spot for Russia as if Russian Imperialism is some how a lesser evil than the US version , this is misguided in my opinion whilst not having the power and influence of the US Russia is a thoroughly corrupt state will little semblance of democracy and a shocking human rights record .

Its right to condemn them but the US and Britain certainly are hypocritical when it comes to invading other countries .     

Many of the left still seem to carry a bit of a soft spot for Russia as if Russian Imperialism is some how a lesser evil than the US version , 

Many old Trotskyites are still upset by their discovery that Soviet Communism was not Nirvana & was simply a front for a Totalitarian system of government run by thugs. Those old Commos rarely ever speak about their dreams due to their shame at having been deceived for most of their life. Here in Australia our war effort during the Second World War was actively undermined by Communist Union leaders who thought they were laying the groundwork for the Russian takeover they truly believed was coming after the war was "officially" over. There's a new book been published here that reveals the extent of their actions & many of the servicemen affected are still alive today & are very angry.

All those pro-Russian supporters back then had been completely brainwashed. Stalin found it highly amusing that free westerners were stupid enough to rally in support of his regime. While he couldn't fathom their mindset, he did coin a perfect name for them, he called them "useful idiots".

It's all horseshit. We should all move to North Korea. 

Sam, always be careful when posting under the influence...        :flirt2:

Ahh sarcasm! From the ancient Greek "to tear the flesh". Sorry I missed it, perhaps it's Canadian style sarcasm, i.e: sarcasm-lite. (A little sarcasm there of my own...     :hi: )

There's nothing to be pissed off about, no one is going to do anything & the Crimeans appear to want to re-join Russia, I would think it's a fait accompli. The Europeans won't say anything, neither will the UK. Putin has threatened to cut off their gas if they interfere. I doubt the US will do more than speak loudly plus there is feeling among the Russians that Obama lacks balls. I believe the Chinese are lending support because they want to see how far the US will go.

It's just another game of bluff played out with big stakes. And Russia wouldn't be in this position if Yeltsin hadn't got drunk during the negotiations following the break up of the USSR & mistakenly handed over Crimea to the Ukraine.

Remember that the next time you wake with a hangover. You might have lost a girl's phone number, Boris woke up & found he had given away his country's southern seaport. Bet that made him popular in the Duma...       :biggrin:

One of Putins advisors flies to London every weekend in a 30 Million Jet and sends his sons to the best Public School and yet he mouths off that western books should be banned in Russian Schools

Politics is all bullshit in the main , that's just how it is IMO. 

And all the palaver about the Right Wing..

If you want to find right wing Nazis go to St Petersburg where you will find plenty.. they are not even allowed to have Black Players in the Football team. ...the hypocrisy is amazing  . Russia even had a punk rock group called Mein Kampf

• Upvote 1

Many old Trotskyites are still upset by their discovery that Soviet Communism was not Nirvana & was simply a front for a Totalitarian system of government run by thugs. 

That's not exactly true Paccers Trotsky was expelled from the Soviet Union and subsequently most of his family and later himself murdered for standing up against the totalitarianism of Stalin's regime and the betrayal of the ideals of the revolution .

Followers of Trotsky had no illusions in the USSR you are confusing them with Stalinists who would typically be members of the various Communist Parties throughout the world including Australia . 

• Upvote 1

Yes you are correct Jim. I referred to the western supporters of Soviet communism as "Trotskyites" because that's what the media refers to them as. So when I write about those followers whose illusions were shattered following the revelations about the USSR I used the same name. I know Trotsky had an ice pick put through his head in Mexico so I knew his writings put him offside with the Soviets but in choosing an appropriate epithet I still went with "Trotskyites" despite all the differences. 

I can't recall hearing the term "Stalinist" to describe members of our Communist Party but I'm sure you're right. Here they were simply referred to as Communists. I wonder if there's anyone in the west today who identifies himself as a Stalinist? Even Putin would get a laugh out of that.

• Upvote 1

s. I wonder if there's anyone in the west today who identifies himself as a Stalinist? Even Putin would get a laugh out of that.

i think the clown in charge of Belarus is accused of this from time to time , whether he himself thinks so im not sure

I wonder if there's anyone in the west today who identifies himself as a Stalinist? Even Putin would get a laugh out of that.

The term was coined a long time ago to describe those who blindly followed Moscow's line or for those who cared little for democracy .

Given Stalin's past record of genocide I doubt if anyone who relish being labeled a Stalinist now day's .

• Upvote 1

The term was coined a long time ago to describe those who blindly followed Moscow's line or for those who cared little for democracy .

Given Stalin's past record of genocide I doubt if anyone who relish being labeled a Stalinist now day's .

Theres plenty in Russia who are still happy to call themseves Stalinists......at the war museum in Moscow,you can still buy Stalin calenders /wristwatches,busts/portraits...etc....he hasn't been airbrushed out of Russian history the way Kruschev has for instance.....

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

And Russia wouldn't be in this position if Yeltsin hadn't got drunk during the negotiations following the break up of the USSR & mistakenly handed over Crimea to the Ukraine.

Correction to my previous post. Crimea wasn't lost following the break-up of the USSR. It happened in 1954 during Khrushchev's time & it was he who fucked up. Official reports mention nothing of his judgement being affected by drink, the real story goes that he was pissed as a newt & signed over Crimea during late night negotiations. 

I blamed it on Yeltsin when I couldn't find the specific reference & I will always remember Boris for being a world class drunk. Plus Nikita wasn't around when the USSR broke up & Boris was. My bad.

• Upvote 1