Name that country

JaiDee

, pretty much  half of France was under British rule around the 1100s and ended mid 1400s, after the 100 year war

It wasn't ,

Britain did not exist then as a Sovereign State maybe only a place , in fact there were no Nation states then if you take the meaning as Historians use it... just Kingdoms , Empires and probably City States. I think around 1100s Henry the 2nd was in charge and although he was based in England he spoke only French. 

In fact Scientific Historians ( yes them) would probably claim that France was the first Nation state in born in1798 (when in fact only 12% of the population spoke French. This claim was made recently in a New Scientist article..)

When Italy became a Nation state only 2% spoke Italian.

• Upvote 1

The Article was in New Scientist some weeks back and i lost the copy...Wikipedia has some info but its out of date as the Scientists are becoming the Historians now. The whole idea is that Nation States are finished . Actually i might be be able to get the archive

Anyway this is Wikpedia

QUOTE Wikpedia 

In France, Eric Hobsbawm argues, the French state preceded the formation of the French people. Hobsbawm considers that the state made the French nation, not French nationalism, which emerged at the end of the 19th century, the time of the Dreyfus Affair. At the time of the 1789 French Revolution, only half of the French people spoke some French, and 12-13% spoke it "fairly", according to Hobsbawm.

UN QUOTE

Sam

re Nation States and France etc

These were the two articles i was refering to but i dont subscribe and just buy the magazine and throw it away after a month. To get the full archive you have to cough up the $$

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22329850.600-end-of-nations-is-there-an-alternative-to-countries.html

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22329851.500-in-our-world-beyond-nations-the-future-is-medieval.html