Election 2 Feb 2014 - Bar closures?

premier

So the Thai elections are scheduled for Sunday 2 February.  I believe it will be a farcial event with the Democrats likely to boycott it, nevertheless it looks set to go ahead. 

I was wondering if anyone has some thoughts on what the situation will be regarding bar closures.  Will all bars be closed? Will some be open and serving grog on the sly? If bars are closed will it be all weekend, or just the Sunday, will they open at midnight on Sunday?

Interested what other BMs' opinions are here, the reason I ask is that I arrive in BKK on 30 January, and I'm thinking of heading to Phnom Penh over the election weekend if it's going to be shitfight just trying to get a beer.

• Upvote 1

If there are elections the bars will be closed. I remember a few years ago in Pattaya when they had elections on back to back weekends and closed the bars two weekends in a row. Often (usually?) things are closed the day before the elections so Thais can travel home to vote. There will always be places selling beer on the sly. It kind of depends on how serious the police are about the whole thing. I use to make a game out of finding places to drink. But by the end of that two weekend affair the game was getting old and difficult.   

• Upvote 1