His Bobness

Lefty

Slight deviation - onstage  - Van Morrison - another man of few words - however times I have seen him his shows have been excellent. Many years ago I was seeing a girl from Scotland and she went to see Van at the Glasgow Apollo. As the show started 'His Grumpyness' bounded to the edge of the stage to greet his fans. However he had either forgot or didn't know that there was a steep drop into the orchestra pit. He immediately retreated behind the piano for the rest of the show. The hard/witty Glasgow audience were unforgiving - "Hey come out Elton - show us yer legs " !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm sure I am not alone at least on this thread feeling a lot of frustration with people who say he can't sing. It's usually the reason why many say they can't listen to him. O alright.....he can't sing 555. Not in the conventional sense. But like a few so called non-singers he still turns in great vocal performances (Tom Waits, Lou Reed, Shane MacGowan are others who come to mind) ...

So a question to the Dylan fans - What are your favourite Bob vocal performances? I guess mine is Lay Lady Lay. Others are Song For Woody, Don't Think Twice It's Alright ... (curious to know 'cos i'm far from a Dylan 'complete-ist' familiar with all his work). 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Jimmy Cargopants said:

So a question to the Dylan fans -

depends what you mean Jimmy. Live or recordings? either, i couldn't begin to choose. There has been so many singing styles through the years.

Have a listen to the original 'Like a Rolling stone' on Highway 61, then compare to the utterly majestic live version with The Band on 'Before the flood'

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, blind boy grunt said:

depends what you mean Jimmy. Live or recordings? either, i couldn't begin to choose. There has been so many singing styles through the years.

Have a listen to the original 'Like a Rolling stone' on Highway 61, then compare to the utterly majestic live version with The Band on 'Before the flood'

I guess I meant studio recordings. Bugger, I should have said 'Like a Rolling...'  Like you say, so many to choose from. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

Well said, BBG. I couldn't choose either.  I saw him live 2 years ago and he sang 'better' than he's done in ages. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Not crazy about the songlist but then again he needs to move forward, so that's fine.

Charlie Sexton no longer in the band, I think he is great, but the new guys are of course  as good. Bob Britt has been on board before.

( A bit dodgy filming  here but I know how harsh his crew is on filming, I was almost thrown out a few years ago during the encore Blowing in the wind).

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

This stuff is so amusing. The Cult of Bob who needs to analyze every move Bob makes. Here's a lady who every year has taken upon herself the task of interpreting Bobs Christmas decorations at his residence in Pacific Palisades, California.

She promise its the  last time she's doing it this year though. Hope so, pretentious silly lady.

Bob probably isn't aware of any of this, but his gardener found some shit in a shed at the estate and threw it up.

https://consequence.net/2021/12/bob-dylan-2021-christmas-lights-merrill-markoe-interpretation/

Bob Dylan Gives Our Half-Assed Year a Half-Assed Christmas Light Show

Writer Merrill Markoe continues her annual interpretation

As the neighbor of Bob Dylan, author and journalist Merrill Markoe has become a celebrity reporter of sorts. For over a decade, she’s documentedand analyzed the folk singer’s Christmas lights outside his Malibu home, and this year’s interpretation — Markoe’s last ever — has finally arrived.

Bob-Dylan-photo-by-Dave-J-Hogan-and-his-Christmas-lights-photo-via-Twitter.jpg.webp

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/art-industry-news-other-stories-may-12-2113539

Art Industry News: Bob Dylan Unveils His Largest Sculpture Ever, a Gigantic Train of ‘Serenity and Stillness’ + Other Stories

Bob Dylan Unveils Largest-Ever Sculpture – It’s a busy time for Bob Dylan. On the heels of the opening of the Bob Dylan Center in Tulsa, the artist and musician has unveiled Rail Car, a monumental sculpture built from about seven tons of iron and installed on train tracks at Château La Coste in Provence. Dylan said the artwork “represents perception and reality at the same time … all the iron is recontextualized to represent peace, serenity and stillness.” of railway is a frequent motif in Dylan’s work, including his 1979 song Slow Train. (Guardian)

The monumental piece, entitled Rail Car, is built from about seven tonnes of iron and installed on train tracks at Château La Coste in Provence. Exposed to the elements, it features motifs of ladders, wheels and tools.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/may/11/bob-dylan-unveils-his-largest-ever-sculpture-of-a-railway-freight-car

GettyImages-1240553983-1024x683.jpg

5000.jpg.webp

• Like 1