Patpong

DownLoLarry

Patpong is the name of the original girly bar area of Bangkok. Or rather what's left of it. At one time there were some 400 bars, clubs, restaurants, etc spread between 4 streets. Today there are about a dozen bars remaining. At least that's all there were the last time I visited which is a few years ago now.

The demise of the original Patpong came about in the 80's after a group of Buddhist monks gained the balance of power in the Thai government & moved a motion to close the place down. Overnight the bulldozers levelled most of the bars leaving what we can see today. The Kings group were allowed to stay & they still operate their 3 eponymous bars.

I'm so glad I got to experience the original Patpong. It was the most exciting place I have ever been to. 1000's of village girls dancing every night in their G strings. I can still remember names & faces. Of course back then I never thought it would end but like anything too good to be true, it had to finish.

Footnote: The reason why the monks wanted Patpong closed was because of the acute embarrassment felt by them & the Thai establishment that Bangkok had earned the reputation as the sex capital of the world. The reputation lingered on but a major source of employment & tourist dollars was killed off by their silly decision.

Patpong for beginners by a beginner:

I went to Patpong last night, for the first time, solo. I did some research on the internet and looked at the area on Google Earth/Maps. Also printed out a couple of Patpong bar maps. I caught the skytrain at Nana at 6 PM. The plan was to get there, stake out the area and then grab some dinner. As it turns out I should have waited a bit later. The skytrain was crowded from Nana to Siam where I had to change trains. Siam station was a sea of humanity at ~6:10 PM. I didn't think I would be able to get on the first train to Sala Daeng but the Thais behind me had other plans and I was pushed along in the mosh pit. I made the train but only one more row of people at the door were able to get in. If anyone could move their arms on the train this would be a real good place to lose your wallet/phone/whatever. It is at the very least a bit of a helpless feeling. I felt sorry for the short girls that where mashed down in there somewhere. Get on the Silom line train that isn't going to National Stadium. I had changed trains at Siam before but it was a different ballgame with the crowds.

http://www.bangkok-maps.com/bts.htm

I wasn't totally sure what to do when I got to Sala Daeng station. Just knew I needed to find Silom Road. But I turned right after I got off the train and found an exit that said something like Silom 56 - 58. I went out that exit and it dumped me right on the sidewalk on Silom. Knew I wanted to turn left (east-ish) but tried to talk myself into going the other direction for some reason. A simple "Patpong?" to a vender insured I was right in the first place. The sky was still fairly light and I expected that to help me more in finding east than it actually did in the concrete jungle.

I walked not very far when I found the first Patpong soi. Although the soi was so small thought I must be in the wrong place. It is only about one car width wide. The the next soi is larger but the nightmarket takes up most of the soi. At least it is pedestrian only. Well except as always for the odd motorbike. I arrived at something like 6:27.

I went to Pat Pub? in Patpong Soi 5 (I think) to eat. Not really much of a pub layout but they do have decent pub grub and a pretty good happy hour until 8 PM.

I started in some GG bars that were recommended as safe on some GG forums. I avoided going to any bars that were upstairs with touts trying to get me to enter. Compared to what I had heard the touts were relativity well behaved. I only had one obnoxious tout and after saying no a few times a mai khup sent him away.

Now for the bad news. I went into KC2, which I read recently was the place, and there wasn't a LB to be found anywhere. There were LBs and GGs in King's Corner and KC3. But judging from the vertical smile seen in crotches these weren't my type of LB. I also went to KC1. This is apparently where they send the ugly girls to dance. :bad:  Perhaps I didn't hit the right spots or the bars operate differently during the weekend?

I also went to GG bars Club Electric Blue, Pink Panther and Bada Bing. IMO there were only one or two stunners in each bar. And quite likely they could be coyotes that don't go out. There weren't very many customers in any of the bars although it was picking up later (mostly Asians). King's Corner and KC3 seemed to have the most customers.

I left to go back to Nana station around 10:30. Admittedly kind of early but I just wasn't finding much here for me and really the whole purpose was just to experience Patpong at least once. Siam station was still a bit crowed at that hour although everyone was able to get on the train and it wasn't horribly crowded.

FWIW

• Upvote 1

Patpong for beginners by a beginner:

I went to Patpong last night, for the first time, solo. I did some research on the internet and looked at the area on Google Earth/Maps. Also printed out a couple of Patpong bar maps. I caught the skytrain at Nana at 6 PM. The plan was to get there, stake out the area and then grab some dinner. As it turns out I should have waited a bit later. The skytrain was crowded from Nana to Siam where I had to change trains. Siam station was a sea of humanity at ~6:10 PM. I didn't think I would be able to get on the first train to Sala Daeng but the Thais behind me had other plans and I was pushed along in the mosh pit. I made the train but only one more row of people at the door were able to get in. If anyone could move their arms on the train this would be a real good place to lose your wallet/phone/whatever. It is at the very least a bit of a helpless feeling. I felt sorry for the short girls that where mashed down in there somewhere. Get on the Silom line train that isn't going to National Stadium. I had changed trains at Siam before but it was a different ballgame with the crowds.

http://www.bangkok-maps.com/bts.htm
I wasn't totally sure what to do when I got to Sala Daeng station. Just knew I needed to find Silom Road. But I turned right after I got off the train and found an exit that said something like Silom 56 - 58. I went out that exit and it dumped me right on the sidewalk on Silom. Knew I wanted to turn left (east-ish) but tried to talk myself into going the other direction for some reason. A simple "Patpong?" to a vender insured I was right in the first place. The sky was still fairly light and I expected that to help me more in finding east than it actually did in the concrete jungle.

I walked not very far when I found the first Patpong soi. Although the soi was so small thought I must be in the wrong place. It is only about one car width wide. The the next soi is larger but the nightmarket takes up most of the soi. At least it is pedestrian only. Well except as always for the odd motorbike. I arrived at something like 6:27.

I went to Pat Pub? in Patpong Soi 5 (I think) to eat. Not really much of a pub layout but they do have decent pub grub and a pretty good happy hour until 8 PM.

I started in some GG bars that were recommended as safe on some GG forums. I avoided going to any bars that were upstairs with touts trying to get me to enter. Compared to what I had heard the touts were relativity well behaved. I only had one obnoxious tout and after saying no a few times a mai khup sent him away.

Now for the bad news. I went into KC2, which I read recently was the place, and there wasn't a LB to be found anywhere. There were LBs and GGs in King's Corner and KC3. But judging from the vertical smile seen in crotches these weren't my type of LB. I also went to KC1. This is apparently where they send the ugly girls to dance. :bad:  Perhaps I didn't hit the right spots or the bars operate differently during the weekend?

I also went to GG bars Club Electric Blue, Pink Panther and Bada Bing. IMO there were only one or two stunners in each bar. And quite likely they could be coyotes that don't go out. There weren't very many customers in any of the bars although it was picking up later (mostly Asians). King's Corner and KC3 seemed to have the most customers.

I left to go back to Nana station around 10:30. Admittedly kind of early but I just wasn't finding much here for me and really the whole purpose was just to experience Patpong at least once. Siam station was still a bit crowed at that hour although everyone was able to get on the train and it wasn't horribly crowded.

FWIW

You went to the wrong bar. Kc2 is not same as king corner 2. Kc stands for king castle. T
  • Upvote 1

They changed the name once already and it is confusing

I think its called KING KORNER 2 or just King Korner. its opposite the old King Korner mixed bar which i think has also changed its name now . ( KC2 is a GG bar or was the last time i looked)

The Entrance is in the Link way between Patpong 1 and Patpong2 but the Bar itself is on the Corner on Patpong 2 side. it was a open pool hall/ Live band bar in the past

it is the only Pre Op LB bar in Patpong. KC3 is mixed but posties only.

also GGs

Most of the GG lookers are long gone IMO and Pattaya or Nana is better for GGs... or maybe the PI even

Had a look here last Saturday and was impressed about 50 girls all hab cock and quite a few lookers.

I would say its not to far behind cascades and obsessions.

Not too sure if its supposed to be called Kings garden or Kings corner as it had both names on the outside.

The worst part is the walk you have to go on to find a meter taxi when you leave.

post-3440-0-58600400-1361170048_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

I think its called KING KORNER 2 or just King Korner. its opposite the old King Korner mixed bar which i think has also changed its name now . ( KC2 is a GG bar or was the last time i looked)

The Entrance is in the Link way between Patpong 1 and Patpong2 but the Bar itself is on the Corner on Patpong 2 side. it was a open pool hall/ Live band bar in the past

In the past, I believe King's Garden was in the cut-through between Patpong 1 and Patpong 2 and it was not a go-go, but it was a place with live music. Kings Corner was right across (also on the cut-through) and was a place with mixed GGs and LBs (post-ops from what I remember).

TC, so now, the place with pre-ops is the location that used to have the live band? And across the way is still the gogo with mixed GGs and post-op LBs?

Who's on first, what's on second!!

Thats correct. Spot on. The entrance is not so big so easy to miss although there's usually some sweety sitting on the stool as a flag in

Although the old place( the old K Korner) across the way has been renovated some time ago and is now smaller and no side Entrance . 

Some day time shots from the area.  Patpong 1, the wider soi does not look anything like this in the evening when it is jammed with market stalls.

post-106-0-66788400-1361298640_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-29555700-1361298647_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-90739000-1361298599_thumb.jpg

Patpong 2 has a narrow entrance and is easy to miss.  Bar Bar the BDSM joint is on that soi, along with Electric Blue and Star of Light.

post-106-0-73450700-1361298651_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-30396100-1361298611_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-69422300-1361298624_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-60469500-1361298635_thumb.jpg

The location directions here are a little confusing but the bar Kings whatever is on a corner almost straight over the road from a large Foodland store. There's an array of quite stunning LBs there including Nit who speaks English extremely well and knows her business!  I have spent a fair amount of time in Patpong with a LB friend who likes to visit her friends in Pinocchi's(another LB bar there) and eat at one of the many Japanese restaurants. It seems Japanese  guys are still very regular visitors to the area.

I agree with J as one of the drawbacks in just making a nightly visit if you are staying near Nana is to negotiate a reasonable taxi fare to get you out of there.

I actually like the area and may contemplate staying a night or two nearby sometime this year . Can anybody recommend a 4/5 star hotel within walking distance?

Nice pics as usual BB!

The taxi fare back to Nana is 60 baht if you cross Silom Rd to the other side and walk up towards Skytrain. You soon come to a road that turns right and you will see loads of taxis and few farangs . All the taxis are normal meter and this is where the Thais hail there cars

I been using this point for 20 years and no problem. The real reason i use this is because its quicker to get back to nana

travelling clockwise is not an option