Moving To Thailand?

pdogg

Lung, are you saying that for 6K a month you can get a new, furnished, two bedroom, one livin roo, kitchen, plus pool and wifi in Chiang Mai.?

Maybe it is less expensive up there!

Guess you would need a motobike. How much for a place like that an an area where u can walk most places?

Lung, are you saying that for 6K a month you can get a new, furnished, two bedroom, one livin roo, kitchen, plus pool and wifi in Chiang Mai.?

Maybe it is less expensive up there!

Guess you would need a motobike. How much for a place like that an an area where u can walk most places?

No, I've just fucked up, I meant 4/6 million to buy, sorry... It's Saturday morning, easy done I suppose.

I'll go back & edit it.

[/color]

I fully concur, you've given my answer for me mate! Glad you got to your computer before I got to mine... However, although you said you could have done it cheaper you're still talking about a 1,500.00 pound Sterling/75,000 baht per month lifstyle, you've still been doing 350 pounds Sterling per week, but of course your digs was coming out of that. You should of been able to have an absolute ball on that ammount.

Edited 10-6-11, edits in red

Yes ,I did have an absolute ball,and the accomodation was more expensive during the high season,but there were quite a few extras thrown in there,such as a trip to cambo,siam reap snookyville and PP.....I also spent 10,000+ baht on dental work,I travelled around a lot,so I didnt have the benefit of long stay cheap accomodation,and I spent another 25k baht furnishing a place for a friend,and 18k baht on a return flight home....as I said I could have done it at least 50k cheaper without really trying to economise....I reckon I could live fairly well on 40-45 k per month....many people spend that in a week in pattaya...if I had to I could live on a lot less,probably 25-30k per month,but I hate watching my pennies.

• Upvote 1

Willy, I shall use up my allocation of +1's for today & tomorrow on your post & if the machine only wants to let me do one per day I shall +1 this every single day for a week... If Rossco can can get +33 squillion or however fucking much it was for making life in Pattaya sound like the fucking 'Channel Islands' then you can at least have a handful from me!

Thanks for not having the courtesy to bother replying Rossco & has Deepthroat said, 'we find it easier to make our assessments as the thread progresses', don't we?.. And Rossco, perhaps maybe you do need all that money, something tells me you're rather a fragile character.

Consensus of most of the lads in the bars around here is that if you're 'studio/condo man' living 'in town' then you should be able to keep your spending to within 700/1,000 baht per day. IE. You shouldn't have any room to moan if you can't live for 25/30K, up here! Anything above that is gravy.

Personally, outside of the North & North East of the country, has I 'back tracked' & stated in my last post, you could live in Pattaya for the same type of amount, but you won't be having very much sex with passing strangers! I know a couple of lovely old boys who live in Pattaya under 30K & they have a good enough time of it, but their days of seeing a lot of action are well & truly over now, other than that you'd need a lifestyle like PDogg's, which I'd be happy with, if it was with the right partner! :hair:

The only place other than that, in my personal opinion, would probably be Rawai at the very bottom of Phuket, I reckon that could be done for under 30K & you'd still have a good time of it, but it's very bohemian, so it wouldn't suite everyone!

As for Samui or BKK forget it!!! JMHO!

I've practically got 'UNESCO standard' views where I am & I enjoy what I personally would call an 'incredible' quality of life up here, half the Bangkok rich & elite are currently paying a fortune to have their second homes here & I'm part of a huge, creative, educated & vibrant community too!!! Not the fat, illiterate, ill mannered, nasty, wallowing cunts with shaven heads you've got lumbering around Pattaya! (so you want to pay BIG BUCKS to live cheek by jowl with these moronic, monstrous creatures)???

Only my humble opinion again, but I really think a lot of people need their fucking heads tested! :nurse: :judge:

And if it wasn't for the fact that I've been doing up & trying to beautify a cheap rental house & a classic car I could 'just about' be living here under 30K per month (If I had too)!.. But 40/50K per month is much more realistic, especially nearer the 50K end of the bracket... And especially running a car & especially as things do go wrong!.. But don't forget I get a lot of perks too... So I work it & get a lot of VISIBLY added value! Plus I get the odd big job in every now & then too! :money:

If any of you ever make it up here, which I know a few of you are meant to at some stage???.. You'll see exactly what I mean :hi:

Anyway, as I'm only writing for PDogg & Willy I shall stop now & go outside & smell the roses for a bit!

the fat, illiterate, ill mannered, nasty, wallowing cunts with shaven heads you've got lumbering around Pattaya!

That's the reason I could not live in Pattaya. After my most recent visit I was so down I thought I might never go back. But the LBs will win out, and I will.

However, I'd like to find a way to avoid contact with those loud fat shaven headed singlet wearers and their hairy backed ilk.

Yep you guys have pretty much summed up the stereotypical Pattaya ex Pat .

Luckily our types rarely mix with the great unwashed in our type of bars , much too dodgy for their "hard man" ego's , they resort to taking ladyboys on the quiet .

In my mind the worst Pattaya types are the long term prophets of doom and Walter Mittys who sit in bars and cafes all day just waiting to capture normal happy people to fill them full of their made up stories .

When approached by these bores it is best to pretend to be a French man :hi:

• Upvote 2

That's the reason I could not live in Pattaya. After my most recent visit I was so down I thought I might never go back. But the LBs will win out, and I will.However, I'd like to find a way to avoid contact with those loud fat shaven headed singlet wearers and their hairy backed ilk.

Go to Chiang Mai Ken.

Yep you guys have pretty much summed up the stereotypical Pattaya ex Pat .Luckily our types rarely mix with the great unwashed in our type of bars , much too dodgy for their "hard man" ego's , they resort to taking ladyboys on the quiet .In my mind the worst Pattaya types are the long term prophets of doom and Walter Mittys who sit in bars and cafes all day just waiting to capture normal happy people to fill them full of their made up stories .When approached by these bores it is best to pretend to be a French man :hi:

I'm actually half Italian & I've used the same ploy myself, the last time being in Stringfellow's about three years or so ago now. Anyway, a bunch of really rough English lads came piling through the door one night & they plonked themselves down right next to me & when one of them started talking I just became Italian... I remember sitting there with my head tucked into my shoulders, gritting my teeth while they kept taking the piss out of the girls & going on about this fucking 'Wap', 'Dago', 'Spikkie', pervert, 'C...' sat next to them!?.. Luckily they pissed off after one drink, phew!

I call the Walter Mitty types Mr. Ben's (remember him)?.. Or it's sometimes called the James Bond syndrome & I've got to go immediately if one of them turns up!

I mentioned something before on another thread about your 'SoulBoy' avatar, maybe you caught it, maybe you didn't, maybe you just didn't want to respond, dunno?.. But anyway, I've noticed you've got 'The 100 Club dancefloor' down as your location, that wouldn't be the '100 Club' in Oxford Street, by any chance?

I agree that there can be some incredibly ignorant ass holes in the bars.

But that applies to all bars in all cities all around the world.

Would I choose to live in Sydney's King Cross, Hamburg Raperbahn, London Soho - absolutely not. There is hardly a city in the world whose 'downtown' area would appeal to me. Chiang Mai is a lovely old city but I would still not live in the centre.

Pattaya centre is for the tourists and sadly few visitors manage to stagger out of this zone. Too far, what for? etc etc.

Just 3 Kms from Sodom Central you leave the Bar Zone. Venture further and you arrive in normal Thai villages with their own markets, shops, salons, food carts etc - and, please do not tell anybody, beer is 50 Baht for a Large bottle of Leo AND there are NO macho men in singlets.

Of course it means that should you wish to engage in conversation with a singlet individual, or go mongering for a LB, you are 10/15 mins away. The up side is Pattaya has large supermarkets, shops, shopping malls, some great restaurants (not in the bar zone), cinemas, dental clinics and even good beaches (10 Kms South of Jomtien)

If you really want peace quiet and personal karma go live in Issan central - plenty of LBs and no bars!

Go to Chiang Mai Ken.

I mentioned something before on another thread about your 'SoulBoy' avatar, maybe you caught it, maybe you didn't, maybe you just didn't want to respond, dunno?.. But anyway, I've noticed you've got 'The 100 Club dancefloor' down as your location, that wouldn't be the '100 Club' in Oxford Street, by any chance?

Sorry Lung I must have missed it , yes the main passion in my life is soul music Northern Soul in particular (for anyone wondering what that is it is just rare American soul music that was played in the north of England hence the term northern )

And yes the 100 Club is the very one you mention ,a mecca for the rare soul crowd , now the longest running soul club in the UK , just bring your own talc to spin on . :hi:

Sorry Lung I must have missed it , yes the main passion in my life is soul music Northern Soul in particular (for anyone wondering what that is it is just rare American soul music that was played in the north of England hence the term northern )

And yes the 100 Club is the very one you mention ,a mecca for the rare soul crowd , now the longest running soul club in the UK , just bring your own talc to spin on . :hi:

I was a spinner man, known for it, no shit!!.. No one's gonna know what the fuck we're on about here??

I've just downloaded the film & I'll give it a whirl tonight!.. I'm a Londoner so obviously the scene was different down my way & there was a fictional film made about the scene & the clubs we used to go to back in the mid to late 70's too, but I've forgot to bloody name of it.

Ah, the old 12" soul, funk & jazzfunk import singles, brings memories flooding back. I remember the young Pete Tong (well his a year older than me actually) when he first started at one of our local discos & we used to bring him our jazzfunk imports to play, because he didn't really have a clue at the time & that's the absolute truth! My lot were all the dancers & he sort of became one of the crowd & then within no time at all he was doing The Alexandra Palace all dayers, the Castor weekender's & all that stuff. From that he then started writing for Blues & Soul magazine & the rest is history.

I've been out of London since 2000, but I remember the 100 club really well, but saying that, the last time I went there was to see the UK Subs when it was becoming a bit of a punk venue somewhere around about 1978/79. They had soul nights them days too, but they weren't all that, the scene was more in clubs like the Global Village, Sundown, Lacy Lady, Room at the Top & Crackers back then. In fact the scene was based more out in the suberbs to be honest. Anyway, I could go on about this for hours, so for everyone's benefit I won't!

I dance like a black boy me! :hi:

Ah, the old 12" soul, funk & jazzfunk import singles, brings memories flooding back.

Sorry to turn this into a stroll down memory lane for the soulboy funkateers amongst us, but I was one too. Still got stacks of 12" singles in my loft, including numerous white labels, plus a wooden beer crate (as you did) full of 7's.

In the mid eighties I loved Radio London, with Robbie Vincent, Tony Blackburn and Steve Walsh and went to many 'Radio London Soul Nights Out' at the Lyceum.

I recall getting a lump in my throat when I heard big Steve Walsh had complications following a car crash in the late eighties and ending up dying.

Call me a weirdo if you wish but if someone offered me the sexiest ladyboy in Thailand for a night or a rare single I'd been after for a while the piece of vinyl would win out every time .

Another reason why I couldn't live in Thailand I'd miss my tunes B)

Sho nuff.

Didn't help,me posting that pic.

Back onto the main topic.It seems that about 95% of people who moved to LOS(as discussed on various forums)wished they'd done it sooner.

As regards what to budget for a monthly spend....everyone's got their own ideas.Probably best to refer to the Thai Visa forum,where there are stacks of threads on "How much do I need to live in Thailand".Wide range of theories there,from"Bones of your arse" to "SUV millionaires".

Always beware of currency fluctuations(Look what happened to the GB pound),and interest rate fluctuations(Again,see UK/offshore bank interest rates).

Finally ,and very importantly,make sure you have (good) health insurance.

Just my 2 satang :drinks:

I've noiced that the +1 facility on Willies post that I wanted to hit every day is no longer avilable to me?.. Is that a 'Mod' thing or a computer glitch, I can +1 any other post?

I don't know if we're only allowed one hit per post?

I agree that there can be some incredibly ignorant ass holes in the bars.

But that applies to all bars in all cities all around the world.

Would I choose to live in Sydney's King Cross, Hamburg Raperbahn, London Soho - absolutely not. There is hardly a city in the world whose 'downtown' area would appeal to me. Chiang Mai is a lovely old city but I would still not live in the centre.

Pattaya centre is for the tourists and sadly few visitors manage to stagger out of this zone. Too far, what for? etc etc.

Just 3 Kms from Sodom Central you leave the Bar Zone. Venture further and you arrive in normal Thai villages with their own markets, shops, salons, food carts etc - and, please do not tell anybody, beer is 50 Baht for a Large bottle of Leo AND there are NO macho men in singlets.

Of course it means that should you wish to engage in conversation with a singlet individual, or go mongering for a LB, you are 10/15 mins away. The up side is Pattaya has large supermarkets, shops, shopping malls, some great restaurants (not in the bar zone), cinemas, dental clinics and even good beaches (10 Kms South of Jomtien)

If you really want peace quiet and personal karma go live in Issan central - plenty of LBs and no bars!

Rossco, thanks for responding, I'm glad to be wrong, you're obviously not quite so fragile! And you still hold the majority view too & I do see the sense of living on the outskirts of the Pattaya & skipping in & out for the freak show, at will (I've done it myself, house sitting for friends & such)... And I wouldn't want to live in the polluted centre of Chiang Mai myself either, but I just can't see what you gain by having an expensive 'hallway house' type living experience on the incredibly dull outskirts of Pattaya with its (in spite of what you indicate) witless inhabitants, flat uninspiring vistas & industrial estate backdrop? The difference is that the outskirts of Chiang Mai are internationally renown for being picture postcard beautiful & with a hell of a lot going for it with regard to lifestyle! CMX hasn't been out of 'The National Geographics' worldwide list of top cities to live in for about the past 10 years now.

You strike me as a really civilized & intelligent bloke & that's what's baffling me? I just can't get my head around this? I don't understand why anyone would want to pay 'bucks' to live there!!? I'm not trying to be horrible to you & your lifestyle's your business & if you enjoy it then full credit to you too, who am I?! And the last thing I want to do is criticize some bloke who's no doubt worked really hard all his life for his pension.

Anyway, I'll just carry on not understanding.

Glad your getting your Leos nice & cheap Rossco, 50 baht per bottle's great value anywhere!.. And I'm glad you're happy with your lifestyle too!.. God knows what you'd be spending if you was on expensive imported red wine???!!

So good luck to you, even if we're never going to agree on this subject.:hi:

• 2 weeks later...

Now, I've searched back through the thread but I can't find what I want buried between all the hoohaa about soul music, personality clashes and other things.

What I'd like to know is simply concerned with living in Thailand, which is what this thread is supposed to be about. If one chose to explore the possibility of dwelling on the outskirts of P like Rossco or of CMX like Lung, what would you be likely to pay rent per month and what would you get for that?

Forget replying about a full range on offer including villas with car garage, pool and all that stuff. Were I so to choose I'd merely be looking at a small clean semi-modern joint big enough for me and the occasional LB lover.

And please, pals, just this once, talk to me in US dollars. I am so sick of reading you in-club guys sharing info in Thai baht that outsider dumbos like me have to do time consuming arithmetic on every bloody time to work out value.

Apologies for quoting in Baht but that is the local currency and that is what property is quoted in. As currencies go up and down as quickly as an LBs Bikini it makes no sense to convert to USD. Currently the rate is circa 30 Baht = 1 USD.

I am happy to help with info but I am not a Realtor. When you say a small love nest do you mean a studio or a 1 bed or a 2 bed? A friend rents a new 1 bed in central Pattaya for 15,000 Baht per month. Do you want a communal pool, fitness centre? Do you want centre of town or not. Do you want to buy or rent. Prices vary by a large extent.

Try "google" Pattaya+property for actual information that you can peruse and select the ideal property for your personal requirements.

I would recommend renting for 3 or 6 months initially - a good friend of mine did this and tried 3 different locations before selecting a village 15 Kms (about 9 miles) south of Pattaya. He is interested in Yacht sailing and has a permanent Thai girlfriend so does not need to visit Pattaya. Everyone is unique just as you are.

I usually quote in baht instead of dollars to make it easier for Brits, guys from the Eurozone, and other non-Americans.

I'm not so sure living far out of town is worth it if yoou will be in town quite a bit.

I think the sweet spot is just west of 3rd Road which is still an easy walk to the bars.

Or east of 2rd Road if you are close to the baht busses on Pattaya Tai or Pattaya Klang.

If you can avoid having to rent a motobike you also avoid being liable for accidents when driving under the influence.

There are plenty of rooms for $300 dollars/month and for a little more you can get extra rooms. Price will vary based on how nice a place is and location.