Long Stay In Thailand - How Do YOU Do It?

Hoot

I'm looking for insights on how those of us not old enough to qualify for an expat/retirement visa spend extended periods of time in Thailand (6mo to 1yr +). I've heard from a travel blogger who spent 6mo living in Chiang Mai doing visa runs every two months, another who enrolled in a Thai language school for a year and got an edu visa.

I realize there are drawbacks and advantages to various methods. What do you do, or know of what others are doing?

As a little background...

I've have come up with many plans to spend more time in Asia, Thailand in Particular, over the last few years. Most have not panned out, or more accurately I've made the decision to stay and work than taking the plunge of traveling for an extendend period of time.

Even though I have my concerns, I'm finally ready to make the plunge within the next year. I'm doing it for more than just the mongering, though it would still play a part, I want to live and travel in Asia for a year.

I'd like to make Thailand my home base (probably not Pattaya) to explore Cambo, Lao, Vietnam, Phill, and Burma. Though I want to travel cheap and not jetset everymonth to a new country and back to Thailand agian to gain another visa.

I'm not packing it all in, I'm lining up some remote work that I'll be able to do from overseas. It may not bring in much or it might be a full on western salary....I'll just have to wait and see what I can work out. But I'm not looking for a job teaching english. Just looking for your thoughts on ways to make Thailand my home base for a large stint - 6+ months in a row.

I know this post is a bit verbose. But it any of you guys have been there, done that, and got the t-shirt I'd appreciate your advice.

Cheers.

• Upvote 2

Just looking for your thoughts on ways to make Thailand my home base for a large stint - 6+ months in a row.

As far as I'm aware spending anymore than 3 months in Thailand on the bounce is not possible unless you get the relevant visa, such as the ones you mentioned yourself above.

I am currently in Phnom Penh, Cambodia and almost 5 months into a probable 24 months away. House rented (not sold), all homeland issues dealt with as best as possible and I'm finally free having been building up to this extended trip for some years.

Although I turned 50 this year I have no plans, certainly currently, to pursue a retirement visa in Thailand, for several reasons. Firstly, there is no way I wish to go through the rigmarole of applying for a retirement visa and presenting my bank statements to Thailand's bureaucrats trying to prove my worthiness. Secondly, I wouldn't want to stay in Thailand for more than 3 months at a time anyway. Two months at a time has so far been just about right for me.

Moving from country to country periodically may seem a bit of a bind but it has numerous advantages and I do not mind doing it. It adds to the feeling of travelling rather than being stuck in one place for too long. It also makes for an interesting existence for me in general. Sometimes flying, sometimes overland. Another reason I like moving countries is that it gives me an excuse to move on if I end up with a clingy girl (which has happened already).

So far I have only been bouncing between Thailand and Cambodia but will likely include Laos early next year as a diversion for a month, probably overland from Thailand, which I've done before. Then back down into Cambodia overland, which I haven't done before. I am currently waiting to pick-up my 60 day Thai visa which I will probably extend this time to give me 3 months in Thailand in total because there'll be many guys to catch up with and it is the season to be jolly, something I need all the help I can get with, but that's just me.

For me the important factors in the planning were not to burn bridges at home and to have contingency money in place for emergencies or a fast exit home. There is no way we can read the future or know how an extended trip will feel to each of us until we are actually doing it. But I have been building up to this 24 month plan for years with trips getting longer each time. Last year I had 6 months away, 2 in Thailand and 4 in Cambodia. This has been a way for me to test myself to see if I'd commit to a more permanent life outside of Farangland, whilst maintaining the ability to return to life back home should it not work out or I don't like it for the longer term.

So far I'm extremely contented and the excuse to move on and leave a country every month or two is a very welcomed one, which I can either use to my advantage or not.

During an extended trip you will have long periods of time alone so you need to be comfortable with that. I like my own company very much but also look forward to meeting other guys when they travel too. Currently here in Phnom Penh I am regularly sharing time with KenW who has made this particular Cambo trip an extremely enjoyable one. Several months ago, last time here in Cambo, it was PDogg who made that one a trip to remember.

Meeting other guys becomes important. Which is why in Thailand I'll probably be doing a three-monther this time (60-day with a 30-day extension) in order to meet up with the many BM's who will pass through during the high season and also to stretch it out to include the GOTC II in early February 2013.

As you can see by the length of this post I do have some time on my hands. But of course it is a subject that is of high interest to me too.

Good luck with your plans Hoot, perhaps I'll see when you're on your trip too B)

• Upvote 2

For me the important factors in the planning were not to burn bridges at home and to have contingency money in place for emergencies or a fast exit home. There is no way we can read the future or know how an extended trip will feel to each of us until we are actually doing it. But I have been building up to this 24 month plan for years with trips getting longer each time. Last year I had 6 months away, 2 in Thailand and 4 in Cambodia. This has been a way for me to test myself to see if I'd commit to a more permanent life outside of Farangland, whilst maintaining the ability to return to life back home should it not work out or I don't like it for the longer term.

I only quoted part of your text DC, but I appreciate everything said and that one paragraph hit home. The contingent planning has been one thing keeping me anchored at home. And as it's a finite amount of time, I do have to worry about what awaits me when I return home. It's also something I had to be comfortable with before makeing the move.

I was hoping you'd be around to weigh in. You give some solid advice and solidify a lot of what I've been thinking about. Plus I really loved your recaps of your adventures in SEA you posted on another forum.

I think in the back of my mind I know I'd be moving from place to place, country to country - that's what it's all about. But a part of me wants a place to call 'home'. Even though I'd be in Thailand, I'd still be moving from city to city. Sometimes it's just good to hear it from someone who's been there.

Thanks for taking the time for writing such a comprehensive response. It's much appreciated. I hope we do get to meet up again, if you're still on your 24 month adventure when I arrive I'll make sure to track you down :search:

I'd like to make Thailand my home base (probably not Pattaya) to explore Cambo, Lao, Vietnam, Phill, and Burma.

Hey Hoot, what springs to mind is consider finding a home base that will store your stuff when you're off on a jaunt to a different city/country.

It gives you flexibility. The things you leave behind can probably fit in one big bag.

... a part of me wants a place to call 'home'.

Thank you for your very kind words Hoot :hi:

Regarding calling a place 'home', I understand what you mean. I am currently working on my next home-from-home in Cambodia.

Over my many trips to Thailand and Cambodia I have stayed in many guesthouses and hotels. Over a period of time you find that you've whittled down your options to just one favoured venue in each country (or city) that you feel most comfortable with. For me these can and do begin to feel like home, especially when returning from another country. Overall I prefer guesthouse or apartment styled accommodation as opposed to a hotel room, certainly in Thailand.

In Thailand I now have this sorted with a good solid relationship with a main member of staff who I can talk to from overseas and she will arrange a room purely based on my word to return. Naturally as much advance notice as possible is best, but you know what it will be from going by your time allowed in each country according to your visa.

In Cambodia this time I still found myself doing a little room searching. But my current place of residence has worked out very well and I'm very happy with it and hope to build a good relationship with them here. It will take several visits for the trust and familiarity to develop so I can circumnavigate their normal booking procedures and become preferential. Each visit cements the relationship further by always arriving on time and being reliable.

Just a few further thoughts ...

PDogg mentioned storage and lightening your load, this is a very valid point. I brought too much with me and it has grown. I now need to get ruthless and dispose of some items I now know I will never need or use, probably before returning to Thailand. Certainly in Thailand you can buy almost anything, so better to travel lighter than over pack, especially when it comes to clothing.

From a personal perspective you may require medication or other special items. If so, you will need to plan for those. I stock-piled meds back in Farangland leading up to my trip and carried enough for 24 months (all expiry dates monitored) and all officially boxed with a pharmacy label with my name and address attached, just in case I am questioned at immigration.

Another requirement for me is contact lenses. The same brand supplied in Farangland are readily available in Thailand at better than Farangland prices, but far more expensive in Cambodia. So I always ensure I have more than enough before leaving Thailand.

I'm glad you started this thread and I will continue to contribute whenever I feel I have something to add. I look forward to hearing ideas and thoughts from others too.

Hoot, as you may or may not know I live in Vietnam and have done so for the past 8 years.

My home base is in the southern suburbs of Saigon, VN's largest city and commercial centre. I have a thread going in the Asia section called Life in the Village, where I have tried to recount various aspects of what it's like living day to day in a southeast Asian context. That thread has no info about LBs or bars etc. It is intended to merely give readers some nitty gritty about living in this part of the world (as well as some personal reflections on what it all might mean).

I am retired from formal work, but still do enough in my line to keep me interested. However, I do not look to, nor need income from that. It's done for pleasure basically.

I have never spent more than 3 weeks at a time in Thailand, and have no interest in doing so. Hence I can't advise on that front, but am not needed anyhow with the wise words of dixon cox and others more than adequately filling that role for you.

Good luck, and if there's anything you ever want to ask just raise it. There's heaps of good guys here willing to help.

My house situation is underpinned by an arrangement whereby I do not have to pay rent. I am also free to travel when I desire, such as the Phnom Penh trip I am currently on.

• Upvote 1

The difficulty in giving any advice is that we are all different. Age, financial stability, friends/family in our home country.

Personally I went for the retirement visa - it looks like a pile of paper work but is actually quite simple. The major point is that you must 'show' that you have had 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account for a period of up to 3 months prior.

This may seem a nuisance but after the first year you just make your necessary annual transfer, into Thailand, and it becomes a rolling credit.

I bought a house here - personally pleased I did as the exchange rate at the time was 75 baht to a GBP. Not 50 as it is today.

Rentals have gone up around Pattaya and recently friends, who tried to extend their lease, got a shock as the lease had risen +25%. No it is not a Thai scam - property rentals are up. Renting outside of the town is much better value and discourages you from going to town/bars every night!

As you are under 50 I would consider the Edu Visa as the school handle all the paperwork and no need to show 800,000 Baht on account. the cost of this visa, including all your classes and books, is 23,000 Baht per annum.

I also understand that you are permitted to do some 'part time' work with this visa - I suppose they recognise that to improve your language skills - practice makes perfect.

It really depends how long you want to stay. One friend of mine, under 50, reckons the 90 day visia suits him as he needs to return home every 3 months or so. Depends on your planned travel schedule. The 90 visa does not require funds on deposit but does require you leave (by Air) after 90 days.

Certainly at your age I would be thinking about some other issues - your own retirement planning. When travelling and living in SE Asia will you continue to contribute to your Pension/401K etc?

Impact on your career. Maintaining your core skill set.

My best advice would be to NOT make a leap fo faith but really consider all implications of a move.

• Upvote 1

As Khun Rossco aptly points out "..we are all different. Age, financial stability, friends/family in our home country"

It might also depend on your country of origin...

If you are from the USA you can stay for 9 months on tourists visas...A tourist visa is valid for 60 days plus you can get a 30 days extension while in country..The extension costs about 1800 baht...The Thai Consulates in the USA will stack three tourists visas at a costs of $35 USD each....That means you can stay for 270 days...The downside...at the expiration of each visa you must leave the country to activate the next visa...which means that you have to travel outside Thailand every 90 days...You can do that be leaving and going to another country for a spell or by simply making a border run...a day trip to the border and reenter on a new visa...After the expiration of the final visa, you will have to leave the country to obtain a new visa or visas...That can be done in Laos, Cambodia, Viet Nam, etc., etc., wherever there happens to be a Thai Consulate...The Tourist Visa costs about 35 USD...So for 105 USD for 270 days plus whatever your other travel costs are plus 1800 baht for each in-country extension...

If you are a USA citizen you can get a retirement visa in-country and you will not be required to show a Thai bank account with 800,000 baht...Simply go to the USA Consulate in BKK and they will provide an affidavit acceptable to the Thai authorities verifying that you meet the financial requirements without actually having the required bank account...Although it is important to open a bank account with a Thai bank..

I know nothing about a visa for eduction purposes but I suspect that it is not as easy to obtain...

Many different ways to stay long time in Thailand...The tourist visa is the easiest for me...

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys for all the input on visa and travel information. It gives me a lot to chew on. I'm still in the planning phase and there's a lot to figure out and squared away. Thinking about and planing how to uproot your life for a year is a daunting task.

Certainly at your age I would be thinking about some other issues - your own retirement planning. When travelling and living in SE Asia will you continue to contribute to your Pension/401K etc?

Impact on your career. Maintaining your core skill set.

My best advice would be to NOT make a leap fo faith but really consider all implications of a move.

I appreciate the concern Rossco, definitely good advice. As I mentioned in my OP I'm not packing it all in, or taking a leap of faith as you put it. I'm planning on - counting on, working while I'm there. Without it the plan is a no-go. Without giving away too many details on a public forum, I'll just say I'm fortune that I can work anywhere I have a high speed internet connection.

A lot of things can change between now and when I'm planning to depart, as well as after I get there. And If the option to work remotely is no longer available I'll be changing my plans accordingly.

• 1 year later...

If you are a USA citizen you can get a retirement visa in-country and you will not be required to show a Thai bank account with 800,000 baht...Simply go to the USA Consulate in BKK and they will provide an affidavit acceptable to the Thai authorities verifying that you meet the financial requirements without actually having the required bank account...Although it is important to open a bank account with a Thai bank..

This is what I have done for the past 10 years, go to the US embassy and get a "Verification of Income' letter. As I understand, Aussies can do this as well and perhaps the Brits (Don't quote me but I think the Brits may have to provide financial documentation to their Embassy.)

After 10+ years in Thailand I'm returning to the USA and will probably set up a home base there.

For younger guys, spending two or three months in a country, then moving on is a very doable plan. I saw many expats set them selves up in East Pattaya or Chiang Mai, 'buy' a house, car and make Thailand their new home. That's all well and good, but IMHO, your posessions are your jailer.

Do you control your stuff or does it control you?

post-4587-0-11298900-1411615938_thumb.jp

My first five years in Thailand, I didn't own a motorbike. My next five years I owned four and had a blast exploring different areas of the country. Now I'm bike free again and its liberating in a perverse sort of way, in that I can stay in any hotel I want and not have to consider secure parking for my bike, I can sky up at a moments notice and live in a new country when it strikes my fancy.

In general, my advice is to stay for a few months in several locations and see where you like best. Some guys like to put down roots, others 'No Where for Very Long...' YMMV :)

OP, all the best to you and let us know how it works out.

• Upvote 2