As you can see the Reputation system is now enabled.

However, there seems top be a glitch. One member who received points does not have the points appear in his totals.

You can see if a post got points at the bottom right of a post which is also the place where u can give a point.

You can see a Member's total points underneath his avatar.

If you give a Member a point, then refresh the page, and you don't see his Reputation increase under his avatar or where the avatar would be if no avatar, please PM with the Member's name and which subforum the points were given. Thanks.

I am trying to isolate whether the problem is with a Member's settings or a sub forum's settings.

Btw, I have very mixed feelings about the Reputation system but a few guys were asking to have it enabled and we try to comply with our Member's requests.

I feel the same way about this "reputation" thing as I did with another forum's "rating" system which by the way has since been eliminated. I dislike the idea and fail to see the purpose. It is interesting to note that when asked the majority of the BMs from the other forum preferred to have the rating practice deleted.

We can always express our appreciation of a particular post or BM either openly on the forum or through a PM.

I would like to know what others think. If most feel the same or don't care I would then recommend dumping it.

I've never been into 'rep' & at this stage I would agree with you, but I'm sure that WHEN the site grows it will be a handy tool... OK, people are going to keep repping their mates & there's going to be a lot of, "One for me & one for you" going on... But when you've got thousands of members I think the newbie who feels a bit lost will really appreciate some kind of public acknowledgment from his peers when & if he says or does something deemed to be of consequence or is just plain funny?

I’ll probably change my mind later, now I come to think of it I seem to recall some cheeky bastards actually asking for other members to bash the green button for them!.. That should constitute a month’s ban, in my view!!

:growl:

This is not a big issue for me, but gut feeling is that I think it's OK as an idea.

I agree with Lung that for those feeling their way (ha! aren't we all?) it's good to get such feedback. Nice to know your fellow FMs feel good about your contributions.

I vote +1 for +1.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

In a way as an idea i think also that is not bad,as long as the rating comes

from other fellow members as an appreciation for the good work they do for this forum.

Sometimes we men like that,it boost up our ego, but again if the forum decides to remove it its ok with me.

The only thing i didnt like its the word "Newbie"...most of the bms if not all

knows who is a "newbie" or "oldie"

So i hope that one day the "newbie" thing will go away from my name.

The only thing i didnt like its the word "Newbie"...most of the bms if not all

The default settings for Member Rank are:

Newbie 0 Posts

Member 10 Posts

Advanced Member 30 Posts

I can easily change these default seetings. Takes less than a minute. Am open to ideas.

I can also give a personalized Member Rank. For example, Dixon Cox is Lovely Monkey and Farangbah is Big Member. Just let me know what you want as a personalized Member Rank and I'll do it.

The Reputation system seems to working OK and most people like it. If you like a particular post for whatever reason then you as a member can give that poster one repuatation point by clicking the little green box at the bottom right hand corner of a post.

• Upvote 1

I have very mixed feelings about the Reputation system

So do I Larry.

We all like to be rewarded, and having any little worth acknowledged chuffs self esteem.

But - at risk of sounding like a preaching fucking school prefect or someone of equally revolting station - I do think +1s should be justified.

I saw some new FM come onto the site recently (no names, no pack drill), make an opening statement first post of "Here I am guys" kind of thing, 2 short sentences, and get 3 X +1s for that. I thought that a bit rich.

I suppose it's nice if you're well known around the traps from way back and have lots of mates as a welcoming committee, but hey...

If the Rep system is to work it has to mean something, surely.

Otherwise: a complete joke.

(End of rant) :blush:

• Upvote 2

In a way as an idea i think also that is not bad,as long as the rating comes

from other fellow members as an appreciation for the good work they do for this forum.

Sometimes we men like that,it boost up our ego, but again if the forum decides to remove it its ok with me.

The only thing i didn't like its the word "Newbie"...most of the bms if not all

So i hope that one day the "newbie" thing will go away from my name.

Sorry, but not a chance Panicos!.. And it's such a shame too, because the principle of 'rep' is a really brilliant one & has I've stated earlier it's great for 'newbies' (I hate that word too, it makes me feel vomitty) to help them feel like part of a group & then from that hopefully spur them on to post more, it's acceptance & all that sort of stuff... But the plain, sorry truth of it is that it just doesn't work that way. I reckon about 70 to 85 % of the time, mates 'rep' mates, pure & simple!.. I takes a very 'special' post for BM's/FM's anywhere to break out of the habit of 'mate repping'!

Also, it can never be a fair reflection, especially on a mongers site because the guy picking up all the rep points will be the one posting the photos. The guy making the earth shattering statements that make everyone sit up & listen will get repped too, for sure... But he will only ever get a fraction of what the guy who knows how to put together a good photograph of a 'nob' in a g-string will get!!!? :hi:

I really hate the word newbie, it's one of these 'new speak' baby talk abbreviations that are meant to sound cute... It's a hateful word. =@

BTW, great post Ken! :hi:

Where's the damn "-1" button when I need it?

I have a different belief. First, let me say that I LOVE the rep points system. It's easy to say it's all about friends giving you points, but I don't think that's true in the long run. Another forum I'm on uses this system and I have a very high rep point total despite really knowing no one on the board. There are many cliques on that board, and I have never felt welcomed or interested in being in any of them. In fact, I think I've only met one hardcore member of that board, and he was removed from an Admin position there a few months before I actually met him and has been sorta incognito there ever since. So I certainly don't think it's friends that are awarding me points.

People like to award points for photos and trip reports, that is the single best way to get rep points. If you don't post those, it's probably not something that's of much interest or value to you. But I will tell you that the rep points system is one thing that encourages some people to post interesting stuff here (or over there) that might otherwise get posted elsewhere. It certainly doesn't discourage people from posting, but some folks with lower rep points often gripe about the system.

I've never seen people stop posting because a rep point system is in place. But having a rep point system is just another thing that differentiates one forum from another, and to me it's an incentive to remain active and try to provide something that's different and interesting. I no longer post on pattaya-addicts since they removed their rep points; 99% of my posts are on this board or ladyboyspattaya both of which use the rep point system very successfully.

Where's the damn "-1" button when I need it?

I have a different belief. First, let me say that I LOVE the rep points system. It's easy to say it's all about friends giving you points, but I don't think that's true in the long run. Another forum I'm on uses this system and I have a very high rep point total despite really knowing no one on the board. There are many cliques on that board, and I have never felt welcomed or interested in being in any of them. In fact, I think I've only met one hardcore member of that board, and he was removed from an Admin position there a few months before I actually met him and has been sorta incognito there ever since. So I certainly don't think it's friends that are awarding me points.

People like to award points for photos and trip reports, that is the single best way to get rep points. If you don't post those, it's probably not something that's of much interest or value to you. But I will tell you that the rep points system is one thing that encourages some people to post interesting stuff here (or over there) that might otherwise get posted elsewhere. It certainly doesn't discourage people from posting, but some folks with lower rep points often gripe about the system.

I've never seen people stop posting because a rep point system is in place. But having a rep point system is just another thing that differentiates one forum from another, and to me it's an incentive to remain active and try to provide something that's different and interesting. I no longer post on pattaya-addicts since they removed their rep points; 99% of my posts are on this board or ladyboyspattaya both of which use the rep point system very successfully.

Where is that '-1' button when you need it. Go wash your mouth out with soapy water Deepthroat, all that '-1' talk's really nasty, I thought much better of you than that! :p

Are you trying to tell me that those little clicks on PLB don't spend most of their time poking +1's up each others arsholes & peeing up in the air like excited little puppies every time one of their pitiful 'Alpha male' buddy speaks?... I was on that site DT, watching that sort of behavior was a constant source of entertainment for me!!!.. And anyone who knew me from that site will tell you that I openly told the admin to remove any status that I had... Just leave me as a 'zero'!.. I even rejected their advanced level too!.. That's how farcical I thought their whole system was... BTW, do you know someone's been tampering with my rep meter since my demise?... I've had it on good authority from a handful of BM's!

I do agree with you about the trip report thing & a the general gist of it inspiring more interesting posting ... And OK, Deepthroat, over the long term it balances out, but you've got to admit that chucking rep around in the way that many FM's have been doing here just makes a mockery of the whole system. :hi:

+1 KenW

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I too have mixed feelings about the reputation system, but overall I guess I'm fairly indifferent and have no real objection to it. My thoughts are more targeted at how it is used as opposed to it's existence.

As others have also mentioned, when you see an obviously unworthy post with several plus points next to it, to me this is a clear sign "the buddies" are at work.

But my main point of irritation is when someone actually states that they have given a plus point.

Reputation point givers should remain anonymous out of courtesy in my opinion, as to me it gives the impression of a hidden agenda, i.e. the giver is fishing so the recipient feels obliged to return the favour in the future, as now they know the identity of the giver. Recruiting new rep point buddies perhaps.

As SiamSam said previously, you can credit a person's post by responding to it in the written form, as opposed to the lazy "+1 for you" style. The original poster can see his post getting a few points but he doesn't need to know the identities of those to whom he may now feel obliged.

:judge:

As a final thought - If 'post count' doesn't register for certain parts of the forum, then perhaps the same should apply for 'rep points' too.

• Upvote 1

When LBF introduced the point system I seriously considered not renewing my membership. I think the whole process is silly and it is interesting the whacky stretches people go through to justify it. Weird logic in my opinion. I simply think it serves no useful purpose and does more damage than good. If someone is really taken or move with another person's post then they should acknowledge that either publicly, privately, or both. Giving someone a fucking +1 in the wake of a good post pales in comparison to writing the person back with a hardy bravo and merci beaucoup.

• Upvote 2