BRITISH SLANG

duke007

have you ever noticed that this message board has a "British version" of Windows?

check it out.......spell color like this and it tells you it's wrong!

same with favor and theater and I am sure many more...........

And so it should, probaly the same with center & humor hopefully

There should be a sound version too, then I wouldnt have to hear the USA version of "Semi" & Debris" too :biggrin:

check it out.......spell color like this and it tells you it's wrong!

That's because it is wrong.

It's bad enough for Windows to make a complete horlicks of starting routinely and quickly and to have an lazy fair attitude to viruses, but it would be beyond the pale for it to tell us to drop the "u". Where would a Thomas Crapper be without a "u" (apart from smelly, obviously)?

You're the only guy who can get the spellcheck to work JaiDee.

I can't or I don't know how.

How do you do it and what browser you using??

Not sure why it happens, PD......I am using google chrome right now but it happens with Firefox also......not sure if it's my browser or Windows XP?

favorite, color, savior, theater, many more.......all telling me I am misspelling!

You're the only guy who can get the spellcheck to work JaiDee.

I can't or I don't know how.

How do you do it and what browser you using??

Sorry for continuing the OT, but actually the spell check does work for me too, only it considers the British spellings as incorrect. So I'm not sure it's the forum software, per se. I'm using Opera, but have it set to mask itself as Internet Explorer (it seems to get along with the site better that way)

To wit:

post-442-0-94437700-1346210651_thumb.jpg

it happens with Firefox also.....

favorite, color, savior, theater, many more.......all telling me I am misspelling!

Works a treat for me in proper American, without that extraneous "u" rubbish...

I thought I would open a thread on British Slang to help out you non-British types from getting confused with our language

... but I lost interest in this thread long ago, as it hasn't lived up to its OP. You fookin' coonts haven't shown us fuck all that's useful, or at least interesting.

To wit, Lung's little exposition a while back on what it means to be a (London) geezer -- that was edifying. This thread, like most others before it, is basically guys alienating more than educating.

FB, the idea of this thread was meant for those who didnt comprehend our "Slang" words, sayings like "dogs bollocks" or "chuffed" for example and "IF" they so desired could come here and look them up

It wasnt meant to be interesting, educational, about the "U's" or any other bollocks for that matter, just helpful :hi:

• Upvote 1

It wasnt meant to be interesting, educational,

Success.

just helpful

Failure. You gents have been hoist with your own petard.

So, I appeal to you guys to take a moment to think about it. Is what you've put forth so far really representative? Is there nothing better being said on the streets of London or in the back parlour [sic] rooms?

Your most humble and obedient servant,

farangbah the fooker