List Of Aeon ATMs (No 150 Baht Service Charge)

DownLoLarry

Here's a link with a list of Aeon ATMs. When using your home country's credit or debit card there is no 150 baht service charge assesed by Aeon, unlike other banks in Thailand.

However, there will still be other charges by your home bank.

You can sort this list by Province. What's seems a bit confusing is you must choose either Cash Dispenser or Cash Dispenser/Deposit but can not choose both. So you have to check twice to get the full list of ATMs for a particular area.

http://www.aeon.co.t...m_depositor.php

• Upvote 1

CITI Banks also don't charge an ATM fee (or didn't). But I've heard questionable things about their exchange rate. In BKK there is a CITI Bank at the corner of Asoke and Sukhumvit. Maybe someone has better/recent details.

In BKK I've used the ATM at AEON Branch Terminal 21. Click on Larry's link and then click: Branch Network It is #7. It's about 1000 feet farther up Asoke in a skyscraper just off Asoke. It's a regular branch bank and the ATMs are inside. Unsure about availability at night. Is there one closer to NEP?

The AEON ATM at Big C Extra (formally Carrefour) on Pattaya Klang (Pattaya) is a Cash Dispenser/Deposit machine. Which means Thais use to to make deposits and all manner of banking transactions. You can be in line at that one for quite a while on occasion. Follow the signs to the bathrooms on the ground floor and it is the 4th ATM down the hall.

Are the ATM's easier and cheaper?

If you can buy traveler's checks in $500 denominations without any fee that's the most most cost effective option for a holiday maker. Traveler's checks get a slightly better exchange rate than cash but there is a 33 baht fee per check on the Thai end so the fee would be 33 baht for a$500 check but 165 baht for five $100 checks. If you have to pay a 1% fee on the Anerican end it negates what you save by the slightly better exchange rate for travelers checks.

Guys who come to Thailand frequently should open a Kasikorn account. That's the green bank and the easiest for a guy on holiday to deal with. That way if you are out of money one night you can go to a Kasikorn ATM (or any ATM for a 20 baht fee).

Guys who come to Thailand frequently should open a Kasikorn account. That's the green bank and the easiest for a guy on holiday to deal with. That way if you are out of money one night you can go to a Kasikorn ATM (or any ATM for a 20 baht fee).

However, be aware that if you transfer money from your home bank in baht, your home bank will use a really bad exchange rate (meaning that you will pay around 4-8% commission). If you transfer in your home currency, Kasikorn use a low rate which is about 2% worse than you will get for cash (plus the transfer fee of around $40/£25).

What I do is bring cash and use TT Change (which gives a consistently higher exchange rate than anywhere else) in second road, then rush over to Kasikorn to deposit the money in my account. Henceforth, all ATM withdrawals within Pattaya are free and outside Pattaya cost a flat rate of 10 baht.

However, be aware that if you transfer money from your home bank in baht, your home bank will use a really bad exchange rate (meaning that you will pay around 4-8% commission).

This is extremely important. If doing a wire transfer or Swift transfer you want the currency exchange to take place in Thailand, not your home country.

Here's a website that gives you access to the current FX rate of most Thai banks.

http://www.bankthail...changeRates.htm

On most sites TC is the travelers check rate and the TT rate is Telex Transfer such as a Swift transfer. There are some fees involved with TC and TT though.

For exchanging cash. I find the antique store on 2nd Road near Soi 16 gives a better rate than the banks. It's a good rate to begin with but if you ask can they do better they just night. It's also a good place to get USD if you're headed to Cambodia.

Aeon outside Homeworks near Pattaya Tai and Sukhumvit has 24/7 access and no lines.

Yes I've used this one before but it is pretty far out of the way for most tourists types. Which is why I didn't mention it. There is a branch in Naklua somewhere but I never figured out exactly where.

However, be aware that if you transfer money from your home bank in baht, your home bank will use a really bad exchange rate (meaning that you will pay around 4-8% commission). If you transfer in your home currency, Kasikorn use a low rate which is about 2% worse than you will get for cash (plus the transfer fee of around $40/£25).

My bank charges $40 for foreign transfers. Yes always transfer money in your local currency. However best I can tell last time I transfered to Kasikorn I got the TT rate or close to it.

Here is another site where you can see the rates of a number of banks:

http://bankexchanger...et/default.aspx

Nice link xyzzy!

The FX rates of these banks apply when you bring cash or travelers checks to ther window or do a telex transfer with the currency exchange being done in Thailand.

These rates do not apply if you are putting your credit/debit card into that bank's ATM. When using your credot card the rate used is an interbank rate with a service fee of a couple percent tacked on.

Nice link xyzzy!

The FX rates of these banks apply when you bring cash or travelers checks to ther window or do a telex transfer with the currency exchange being done in Thailand.

These rates do not apply if you are putting your credit/debit card into that bank's ATM. When using your credot card the rate used is an interbank rate with a service fee of a couple percent tacked on.

Thanks. Sorry you slightly confused me there. I always get a better rate with my debit card than with cash exchange. Typically the TT rate at the link I posted. About 0.2+ baht per dollar better than cash. That of course if one doesn't have to pay the damn 150 baht AM fee,

The TT rate looks good but when you physically stick your credit card into an ATM,with almost every American credit/debit card, there is an FX service charge from your home bank typically 1% and also a FX service charge form Visa or Mastercard also typically 1%.

I've never seen these clearly explained on any bank's website and when I've called up Customer Service, the rep often doesn't know and just makes something up. He might know his bank's charge but not know the charge form Mastercard.

When doing a Swift transfer there will not be these charges but instead the approx $40 buck fee that you mentioned.

The nice thing for Yanks in Cambodia is these fees are avoided because there is no currency exchange. But I still get hit with a small service charge from my bank about 2 bucks per withdrawal, varies by bank and could be no charge. And of course in Cambo as u know I use Canadia Bank which like Aeon in Thailand has no service charge on the local end.

The TT rate looks good but when you physically stick your credit card into an ATM,with almost every American credit/debit card, there is an FX service charge from your home bank typically 1% and also a FX service charge form Visa or Mastercard also typically 1%.

I've never seen these clearly explained on any bank's website and when I've called up Customer Service, the rep often doesn't know and just makes something up. He might know his bank's charge but not know the charge form Mastercard.

When doing a Swift transfer there will not be these charges but instead the approx $40 buck fee that you mentioned.

The TT rate shown on the link I posted is very near what you will get when you use your foreign debit/credit card and is higher than the cash exchange rate at the same bank. What fees are taken out I have no idea but one will still receive more than the cash rate. I almost always use an ATM during the day, go home put my cash in the safe and then go online to figure out my exchange rate. It is typically 0.2+- baht per dollar. Disclaimer: I haven't been to Thailand in six month.

Back when the Thai ATMs didn't charge a fee I had a debit card that charged no fees at all. So I was always getting better than the cash exchange rate at any Thai ATM. When the banks started the ATM fee I was still able to do the same at AEON ATMs. Although AEON ATMs are generally harder to find unless you are lucky and have one nearby.

About a year ago my financial institution was taken over by another that created a 1% foreign conversion fee. The difference between the cash exchange rate and the TT rate almost makes up for that 1% if I use a free ATM. It doesn't make up the total difference but makes it close enough I don't take cash. However that means seeking out an AEON ATM which can be a PITA. In reality, these days, I usually transfer what I think I will spend to my Kasikorn account and then when that isn't enough I use my debit card. :biggrin: But the transfer costs $40, plus I think, a little fee on the Kasikorn end. So unless I transfer at least $4000 I'm still above 1%. Ya just can't win (I would have to pay for travelers checks).

The nice thing for Yanks in Cambodia is these fees are avoided because there is no currency exchange. But I still get hit with a small service charge from my bank about 2 bucks per withdrawal, varies by bank and could be no charge. And of course in Cambo as u know I use Canadia Bank which like Aeon in Thailand has no service charge on the local end.

Not so fast my well traveled friend. :-) I carry two debit cards. The second one use to charge a 2% foreign exchange fee. I could use either card in Cambodia with no fee as the ATMs dispense US dollars. However the bank that owns the second card got clever and changed the wording from "foreign exchange fee" to "foreign transaction fee". So now they get their 2% regardless of what type of currency I get. But that is mostly my emergency card so generally doesn't get used.

I also had to use Canadia ATMs in Phnom Penh to avoid a basic ATM fee. There is a Canadia bank branch (with ATM) inside the Sorya Mall and an ATM outside. Most of the other ATMs charged $2 except ANZ that charges $4. And some ATMs don't warn you there will be a fee. Disclaimer: It's been about 18 months since I was in Cambodia.

Sorry for the diatribe. As you can tell I'm rather anal about the subject. High ATM fees is one of my pet peeves. But you are there and I am not so maybe it has all changed.

High ATM fees is one of my pet peeves.

One of mine too.

Another is lack of transparency in bank fees.

These posts prompted me to check my account and see the fee my bank accessed me for my Phnom Penh withdrawals was 2 bucks per withdrawal which I think is the same as if I used an ATM of a different bank back home in the States.

07-10 Beginning balance $961.53

07-16 'ATM Withdrawal -480.00 481.53

CASH WITHDRAWAL TERMINAL 00101100

CANADIA S.S ATM 01 PHNOM PENH

07-14-12 3:00 PM SEQ # 565281

07-16 'Service Charge For -2.00 479.53

ATM FEE

• 2 weeks later...

Update for those staying in the Nana/Sukhumvit area. There is now an Aeon branch located right in the Terminal 21 shopping centre on Asoke. The branch is located on the lower ground floor and has 2 cash dispenser/depositors. The branch is open 9 am - 9 pm seven days a week including holidays! So you no longer have to walk down Soi 19 to get to the Aeon ATM.

I am attaching a couple of photos so you can recognize the branch.

post-289-0-22324900-1346765259_thumb.jpg

post-289-0-37920300-1346765262_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

The AEON branch that XYZZY mentions in Naklua is I suspect the branch that is in Tesco Lotus on North Pattaya Road, Some parts of Pattaya Nua have a Naklua postal address.

having said that, I can't see myself ever choosing to join one of those queues to save 150b. Way way easier just to open an account and swift transfer large amounts in and then use ATM's to draw out. Don't know about kasikorn for swift rates, but both SCB and BKK bank which I use offer much better conversation rates for TT than they do for cash.

I think all banks offer a much better rate for TT than cash.

Bangkok Bank has a good scheme for Americans as they can make a ACH transfer from their bank to Bangkok Bank of New York. The total transfer fee is 10USD plus 500 baht for transfers up to 50K USD. This is a bit less expensive than typical Swift transfer fees from the States.

http://www.bangkokba...ndsfromUSA.aspx

There might be a simialr scheme for Brits with Bangkok Bank of London.

Bangkok bank is now one of the most difficult banks for a tourist to open an account at. If you don't have a work permit for Thailand, I would not even waste your time going there. Even if you do have a work permit its still not smooth sailing - much easier options out there.

• 4 months later...

There is now another bank that does not charge the 150 Baht foreign ATM card fee. This is CIMB http://www.cimbthai.com/CIMB/en/home/ , which is a Malaysian Bank recently expanded into Thailand.

Unfortunately they do not have that many ATMs yet, but on the homepage you can check out their locations throughout LOS.

Hopefully CIMB and AEON will put some pressure on the Thai public banks to lower or reverse their fees.

• Upvote 1

There is now another bank that does not charge the 150 Baht foreign ATM card fee. This is CIMB http://www.cimbthai.com/CIMB/en/home/ , which is a Malaysian Bank recently expanded into Thailand.

Unfortunately they do not have that many ATMs yet, but on the homepage you can check out their locations throughout LOS.

Hopefully CIMB and AEON will put some pressure on the Thai public banks to lower or reverse their fees.

Here is the ATM finder link. Doesn't look too good in Pattaya:

http://www.cimbthai.com/CIMB/en/locate_us/atm/5/20/136/

Although the address confuses me:

66/38 Moo 9, Soi Bua Khao, Pattaya Klang Road, Nong Prue,,  Bang Lamung,  Chon Buri

Click on the pic to make it bigger.

post-345-0-95171400-1358659902_thumb.jpg

I did a bit of investigating tonight and found 2 ATMs in good locations around Pattaya.  One is on Second Rd, almost opposite the Baht bus rank to Jomtien.  The other is beside Central Festival on beach road.  Now here is the rub.  

The guy in the Central Festival one said they charge 100 TB to withdraw money with a foreign card.  The ladyboy in the one on Second road, said there is no charge for withdrawals using a foreign Visa car, but other cards are charged the 150 TB.

Maybe they are unaware of a rule change, TIT after all. 

The Beach Road branch.

post-106-0-10989300-1358692493_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-76551800-1358692496_thumb.jpg

Second Road 

post-106-0-96071500-1358692510_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-23989800-1358692515_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Read this on Stickman tonight.

"Don't be confused by the large advertisements from CIMB Bank which say in large letters in perfect English, "Free withdrawals at CIMB ATMs across the region." It would appear that this is not fee-free ATM withdrawals from foreign bank accounts at CIMB ATM machines, but free withdrawals from CIMB Bank ATMs in the region if you have a CIMB account. For foreign account holders, the 150 baht withdrawal fee still applies."

For foreign account holders, the 150 baht withdrawal fee still applies."

Thanks for the heads up bb. It's a pity because the CIMB website shows a ATM in central Hua Hin,, which would have been handy. 

Still there is an Aeon ATM not too far away in the Market Village on Phetkaseam Road:

Market Village Hua Hin Branch #2

234/1 Market Village

Hua Hin Department

Room A 302, FL.3 rd

Phetkaseam Rd, Tambol

Hua Hin, Amber HuaHin, Prachuabkhirikhan

77110 3rd Floor next to Body Shape shop   

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the heads up bb. It's a pity because the CIMB website shows a ATM in central Hua Hin,, which would have been handy. 

Still there is an Aeon ATM not too far away in the Market Village on Phetkaseam Road:

Market Village Hua Hin Branch #2

234/1 Market Village

Hua Hin Department

Room A 302, FL.3 rd

Phetkaseam Rd, Tambol

Hua Hin, Amber HuaHin, Prachuabkhirikhan

77110 3rd Floor next to Body Shape shop   

This is it, it's at the back of the mall on the right on the 3rd floor.

post-106-0-17994700-1377006103_thumb.jpg