Three somewhat obscure movies, everyone should see

Lefty

Yes, QT himself thought he(himself) nailed the casting. Nothing was lost in translation.

Ahh, I see. Unfortunately the big ego goes with the precocious talent. You can't have one without the other. Or you can, just not in QT's case. I must say it didn't bother me what he said, I was more jealous of the tall blonde he had sitting next to him. The bastard...         :biggrin:

Gervais is one of the funniest men alive.

He can be. Gervais epitomises that very British comedy style that isn't obvious. He tells a straight story with a sting in the tale. You know he's going to be funny but he deliberately holds back, then right at the end, he gives the punch line. And it isn't forced, it's almost an afterthought. The longer he rambles on, the funnier you know he will be. And it is that anticipation combined with the almost apologetic delivery that makes him so effective.

I have seen him where he hasn't gone over as well as expected but I have also seen him funnier than any other working comedian. IMO.

Ted was a movie about a talking bear.....obviously one I will pass on.

Wise move. It was just irritating. Watching Mark Wahlberg trying to decide between his beautiful girlfriend who's everything he ever wanted & his childhood toy Ted, a debauched alcoholic, who wants Mark to leave his girlfriend home & come out clubbing & drinking with him, & Mark can't make up his mind because he really loves his teddy...   I have never seen a film where I wanted to scream at the screen more than that pile of crap. 

Whoever thought that was funny & whoever decided to sink umpteen million dollars into making it, they all need their heads read. And the creator Seth MacFarlane thought it was worthy to include in his Oscar presentation. And it was just as unfunny there as it was in the movie. How the hell do these guys ever get in control of such big budgets? They have all the comedy smarts of someone who thinks it's funny to throw rocks at passing cars.

Compared to that pile of shit, Looper is a masterpiece.

Part 2 proves why there is chocolate and vanilla; I have yet to find even one thing Gervais has said to be even remotely funny, ever.  But then again I can say that about most Brit comedians; I just don't get their 'humour'  :biggrin: 

I keep noticing irony popping up in American 'humor' * boom-tish * but I think you're still a decade off embracing it in the way we do & the Brits do. (And the Swedes...  hello Seven) And funny enough, the Thais get it too. I am still surprised how much their humour is deeply ironic & how my repartee needs no translation (most of the time) when I share some banter with one of the better English speakers. Those uneducated Thai girls have the same humour as I would see from a local chick, mostly better. 

And while you don't get Ricky, I watched Letterman for years wondering who wrote his jokes. Occasionally one would get through but most of it was childish to me. A "sophisticated New Yorker" who has to keep repeating his punch lines for those who don't get that he is joking. Sad...       :(

My choice for Oscar host would be Bill Maher, but their goal is to bring in MORE viewers, not turn more away, and he is way too polarizing. If he hosted I may be able to handle a couple hours of that Hollywood fluff. For the record Tina Fey [who is actually pretty hilarious as the self-deprecating Liz Lemon in 30 Rock] has said she would never do it.

I love Bill Maher. He's a brilliant satirist who makes fun of some of the most important issues on the planet. He is too political & too divisive to ever get the gig IMO. But he would be fun. 

I can't comment on Tina, people say they won't do lots of things, then turn around & do them. She may change her mind if she sees enough support for her doing it.

I think the best man for the job & the next Billy Crystal IMO is the host they just had. Give him some better joke writers & he would be perfect. If you haven't seen his presentation you will be surprised at how polished he was. I know I was. And not all his jokes flopped. My favourite was his synopsis of Daniel Day-Lewis. He talked about how committed Day-Lewis was to getting inside the head of Lincoln in order to capture the soul of the man. So far so good. Then Seth said he thought another actor had gone much further with getting inside Lincoln's head - John Wilkes Booth. 

And when the crowd groaned, he replied "150 years ago...   what? Too soon?" 

Clever joke & brilliant comeback. My type of 'humor'.          :happy0065: 

And while you don't get Ricky, I watched Letterman for years wondering who wrote his jokes. Occasionally one would get through but most of it was childish to me.

Letterman is the 2nd-best talk show host in history, IMO.....of course no one could ever supplant the great Johnny Carson, he was one of a kind and died way too soon because of those damn butts. Anyone else is a distant third.

Some guy from Nebraska called in one time and was on the air, a rarity for sure.  Dave says "Hey, do you get us there in Nebraska?"  The guy replies in his slow, midwestern drawl; "Oh yeah Dave, we watch you all the time!".   Dave doesn't skip a beat and says "No, do you GET us there in Nebraska?"   That was classic and describes his show perfectly; you either get the humor or you don't.

The same can be said, of course, with comedians from any country; people from outside their borders just will not 'get' their type of humor.....doesn't mean the people from other countries are stupid or not sophisticated, it just means they don't find their style of comedy funny, and that's perfectly fine. Some people think Russell Brand is hilarious; same as Ricky Gervais, I have literally never heard one funny thing come from his mouth and the 2 of his movies I absolutely suffered through were beyond horrible.

A Brit on another message board once said; "There are no funny American comics".  Of course that shocked me, he obviously forgot people like George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Bill Maher, Dennis Miller, Rodney Dangerfield, Bill Cosby, Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, Bill Hicks?  Or, more likely, he just didn't find those people - whom to me are all absolutely hilarious - funny.   Again, to each their own.....chocolate and vanilla.

And I still will never watch a movie with a talking teddy bear, unedited or not.....I don't need a review from anyone here or anywhere else to tell me that would be a complete waste of my time.

Multiquote won't play for me, my apologies.

I fully understand some people don't find Gervais and brit humor funny.  Personally i love it. Theres a new The Office revisited out  in 2 weeks.

Billy Crystal was my fav Oscar host.  Letterman was misunderstood. Jon Stewart could be good?

I´ve been watching Late show for 25 years, and Letterman is my fav. One of his writers Gerard Mulligan, sometimes came out on stage doing his jokes, and was very very funny. He quit a few years ago.

Letterman was better 20 years ago. I´ll  never forget when Cher came on, and left 2 mins later.

L

A Brit on another message board once said; "There are no funny American comics".  Of course that shocked me, he obviously forgot people like George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Bill Maher, Dennis Miller, Rodney Dangerfield, Bill Cosby, Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, Bill Hicks?

...Will Ferrel, Adam Sandler, Don Rickles, Dennis Leary, John Candy.

..Don Rickles

One of the funniest MOFO's ever!

I agree also that Letterman at his best was a long time ago.....I'd even go back 25 years.  He's getting a little long in the tooth now and even though I still try to catch his monologue most nights, the lustre has surely worn off. He's more one of those "lifetime achievement award" kind of guys by this point.

A Brit on another message board once said; "There are no funny American comics".  Of course that shocked me, he obviously forgot people like George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Bill Maher, Dennis Miller, Rodney Dangerfield, Bill Cosby, Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, Bill Hicks?

No funny American comics?           :blink:

What a ridiculous thing to say! All those guys are great. (Who's Bill Hicks?)

Multiquote won't play for me, my apologies.

The second you touch the 'delete' key it stuffs up. Highlight the part you want, copy it, then highlight the complete post & while it is still lit up blue, hit paste. Once you have done the first box, the others all work like they should. (i.e. you can delete, etc)

Billy Crystal was my fav Oscar host.  Letterman was misunderstood. Jon Stewart could be good?

Crystal is very likable, Letterman not so much. I was not surprised in the least when it came out that female staff sued him for harassment. It's just history repeating itself, another sanctimonious prick hassling the girls when he thinks he can get away with it. 

I 'get' John Stewart, I just can't stand the way he screams all the time. When he does speak, his voice is very hoarse from all that yelling. Someone should tell him there's no need, he can be funny & sane at the same time.

...Will Ferrel, Adam Sandler, Don Rickles, Dennis Leary, John Candy.

Will Ferrell's self deprecating style resonates strongly in Australia. I really enjoy him even if I haven't seen many of his films. He was a guest on a TV panel here in Oz recently when they interviewed our Prime Minister. Will jumped in & called her Jules, asked her for some hair advice, openly joked with her, I'm sure he wouldn't get away with it most places, here, they loved him.

Adam Sandler... funny? On SNL yes, in his latest movies, no way.

N Letterman not so much. I was not surprised in the least when it came out that female staff sued him for harassment. It's just history repeating itself, another sanctimonious prick hassling the girls when he thinks he can get away with it. 

That was Stephanie the intern. I think she had a crush on  Dave :biggrin:

The second you touch the 'delete' key it stuffs up. Highlight the part you want, copy it, then highlight the complete post & while it is still lit up blue, hit paste. Once you have done the first box, the others all work like they should. (i.e. you can delete, etc)

Test.

No, thats not working either.

I saw ARGO this evening. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Excellent piece of work. Ben Affleck did a tremendous job as director however he should have cast someone else for the lead other than himself. The rest of the cast was dead on as was the recreation of the era and events. Very impressive. 

Sam, as a Canadian, were you bothered that it is no longer a story about Canada's role in coming up with the plan & the part they played in getting it done? The rescue mission has been presented as an American idea.

Jimmy Carter came out & said he enjoyed the film but it veered wildly away from what actually happened. He acknowledged the Canadians were instrumental in setting up the whole thing.

I've led a sheltered life...          -_-

I googled Bill & I like what I found. Here's a few quotes of his:

“I can't watch TV longer than five minutes without praying for nuclear holocaust.”

“I'm sorry if any of you are catholic. I'm not sorry if you're offended, I'm actually just sorry by the fact that you're catholic”

“I ascribe to Mark Twain's theory that the last person who should be President is the one who wants it the most. The one who should be picked is the one who should be dragged kicking and screaming into the White House.”

“I was in Nashville, Tennessee last year. After the show I went to a Waffle House. I'm not proud of it, I was hungry. And I'm alone, I'm eating and I'm reading a book, right? Waitress walks over to me: 'Hey, whatcha readin' for?' Isn't that the weirdest fuckin' question you've ever heard? Not what am I reading, but what am I reading FOR? Well, goddamnit, ya stumped me! Why do I read? Well . . . hmmm...I dunno...I guess I read for a lot of reasons and the main one is so I don't end up being a fuckin' waffle waitress.”

“...I just want to be free of the fears and anxieties and the superstitions of religion. An 'avenging GOD'? One who created Hell for those who don't believe? I thought we were the perfect and holy children of GOD? How could any limits possibly be put upon us? Hell.. really? I'm sorry, but... no. Wrong. You're wrong. That's an insane GOD and therefore not mine. Because, see, GOD would be very sane, don't you get it?”

A shame he passed away 20 years ago. The world needs people with his insight & wit. I like his sentiments & I will never overlook his contribution to comedy again. Thanks Willie...       :hi: 

One of my favourite American comics is stand-up man Steven Wright. He's got dryness down to a tee. 

He certainly is dry. Very laconic. I just spent the last 10 minutes watching him on Youtube. He's one very funny dude.

How did this thread get so off-topic? Nevermind, it's all good.

I'm waiting for Dixon to post his opinion on Soraya, that'll get it back on track.

Sam, as a Canadian, were you bothered that it is no longer a story about Canada's role in coming up with the plan & the part they played in getting it done? The rescue mission has been presented as an American idea.

Jimmy Carter came out & said he enjoyed the film but it veered wildly away from what actually happened. He acknowledged the Canadians were instrumental in setting up the whole thing.

I know they took some liberties with the facts but from my research they weren't far off the mark. Who originated the plan and what actually went down in 1979 has been classified up until recently. Frankly I don't know what to believe from either government but I don't think it matters. Argo was great filmic story telling and very entertaining. The only weird fact was the 7 posed as Canadian film makers but were representing a Hollywood company with a US address. Surely that would have raised some serious suspicion with the Iranians.

Pacman-you've never heard of Bill Hicks?....hard to believe......maybe the greatest comic ever!

Funny thing is, Willie....he was bigger in the U.K. than he ever was in the states!  And he came from Georgia.....never made it past cult status here, and likely never heard of in Australia;  just before he died way too young of cancer at age 33 he was selling out concert  halls in England while still playing small comedy clubs in America.  R.I.P. to one funny bastard who still had a lot of years ahead of him.

One of my favourite American comics is stand-up man Steven Wright. He's got dryness down to a tee. He gets almost zero airtime in the UK but I was lucky to catch him once as a guest on a show years ago and that was that.

Actually comes from very close to my home and I met him briefly once at his parents house; off-stage he has that exact same, dry persona, so it's not so much an act as his real personality, or so it seems.

One of my favorite Steven Wright lines;

"So I went to the store down the street which I know is open 24 hours. I know this because there is a sign out front which says "Open 24 hours".  When I get there the guy is closing up and locking the doors. I say to him "Aren't you open 24 hours?".  The guy looks at me and replies "Not in a row."

Say that to yourself in his slow, laconic drawl and you will laugh out loud :biggrin:

Quick catch up:  

Carson & Letterman the best? Absolutely true, but I put Steve Allen's introduction of anarchy & beatnik culture onto American early 60's TV a reasonably close #3 jaidee.   These days I skip Letterman for Jon Stewart & Stephen Colbert, but I wince at the day he retires.

Argo was really good, but was it really the best film of the year? Pretty conventional year then.

I follow comedy pretty much but Bill Hicks was an unknown to me until after he passed on. And then the first few clips I saw was of a really angry guy ranting at the audience in self-righteous anger. While I have come to appreciate him for what he is, & he was excellent at that, a comedian should ultimately make people laugh, not just be lectured at, albeit cleverly, imho.

Don't really remember Steve Allen, Hefe.....but the consensus seems to be he was Carson's role model so he must have been good!  I have seen some black and white clips of him but they looked pretty dated, of course.

I grew up with Carson, my mother had him on all the time in the 70's when I was a teenager.  Letterman got jacked when Johnny quit, he should have filled those shoes and he is a helluva lot funnier than Leno.  To this day Letterman won't let that go, he knows he was screwed over by NBC.

...and he is a helluva lot funnier than Leno.

:blink:      He is?

I have a theory that Dave being overlooked had something to do with his personality. He can barely hide his contempt at times while Leno has a big smile at least. I'm sure Jay can be objectionable when he wants to but he comes across as a nice guy. Dave doesn't.

CBS were no better when some genius decided Conan would make a great replacement for Leno. I was incredulous at the time & predicted that he would be a spectacular flop. Letterman may be flawed but Conan is an idiot. A fool of a man.

I have a theory that Dave being overlooked had something to do with his personality.

Of the 3 'chat show hosts' mentioned I think Letterman outshines the rest by a country mile. Leno is streets ahead of Conan, who I find to be almost unwatchable and doubt I could ever warm to him.

I'm waiting for Dixon to post his opinion on Soraya, that'll get it back on track.

Regarding Soraya M. ~ I did watch it a few days ago but my mind needs to settle as a knee-jerk opinion may not be best thing. Especially where a racist comment may be made by me without reasonable forethought. I'll do it soon.

I've led a sheltered life...          -_-

I googled Bill & I like what I found. Here's a few quotes of his:

“I can't watch TV longer than five minutes without praying for nuclear holocaust.”

“I'm sorry if any of you are catholic. I'm not sorry if you're offended, I'm actually just sorry by the fact that you're catholic”

“I ascribe to Mark Twain's theory that the last person who should be President is the one who wants it the most. The one who should be picked is the one who should be dragged kicking and screaming into the White House.”

“I was in Nashville, Tennessee last year. After the show I went to a Waffle House. I'm not proud of it, I was hungry. And I'm alone, I'm eating and I'm reading a book, right? Waitress walks over to me: 'Hey, whatcha readin' for?' Isn't that the weirdest fuckin' question you've ever heard? Not what am I reading, but what am I reading FOR? Well, goddamnit, ya stumped me! Why do I read? Well . . . hmmm...I dunno...I guess I read for a lot of reasons and the main one is so I don't end up being a fuckin' waffle waitress.”

“...I just want to be free of the fears and anxieties and the superstitions of religion. An 'avenging GOD'? One who created Hell for those who don't believe? I thought we were the perfect and holy children of GOD? How could any limits possibly be put upon us? Hell.. really? I'm sorry, but... no. Wrong. You're wrong. That's an insane GOD and therefore not mine. Because, see, GOD would be very sane, don't you get it?”

A shame he passed away 20 years ago. The world needs people with his insight & wit. I like his sentiments & I will never overlook his contribution to comedy again. Thanks Willie...       :hi: 

Good for you looking him up paccers......my avatar on another forum is the late great Bill Hicks.....he took the piss mercilessly out of Bush snr,Rus Limbaugh et alI.I would have loved to hear the abuse he would have dished out to Bush snr's imbecilic son.

I first saw him on late night channel 4 tv in the uk......he reckoned MC Hammer only got where he did thru sucking the devil's cock,and that crazy dancing he did was the Devil's jizz eating thru his intestines....he also wanted to launch a "hunt down and kill Billy Ray Cyrus " Party......The only comic who comes close to him IMO at the moment is Frankie Boyle.......have a look for his 10 most outrageous jokes on you tube.....