Levon

Hefe

The world lost a great musician & spirit today. I saw him way back in the day & last year & many times in between & he always delivered the goods. His band last year kicked as much as The Band did in '69 & he was obviously having the time of his life while battling on. I had actually noted on my calendar his next gig here in a few months, so I'm glad I caught him in recent years.

• Upvote 1

Bernie Taupin, who wrote the lyrics for "Levon", was inspired by The Band's co-founder, drummer, and singer Levon Helm to name the title character after him. The Band was apparently Elton John's and Bernie Taupin's favourite group in those days. The "Alvin Tostig" mentioned in the song (Levon's father) is, according to Taupin, merely fictional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vke6sYTxgJA

Shamefully being a big Dylan fan I never really listened to The Band .

I had The Basement Tapes album for years and never really played it but gave it a go a few years ago and now its one of my favourite Dylan albums , after that I gave the band a listen too and watched The Last Waltz movie .

A very underrated band for sure and great musicians all .

Lefty, I can exactly remember the first time I heard "the Weight" on the radio.... in between Hendrix & Cream & Floyd & Blue Cheer (???) suddenly came this subdued, but soulful & righteous tune that sounded like a rock band from the 19th century. It really jumped out as something completely contrary to the trend & fashion of the time.

In recent days one eulogist said that The Band was the American version of The Beatles & the more I consider that the more I think it's true.

I had just started reading Levon's autobio last month as well, a good read, recommended. He grew up in a small cotton farm on a dirt road near the Mississippi River, no electricity or indoor plumbing, family all sang together for fun... Makes a case that the old blackface minstrel shows that would show up occasionally in the nearby big town on a Saturday night were the first real influence on that first generation of rockers in the 50s.

In recent days one eulogist said that The Band was the American version of The Beatles & the more I consider that the more I think it's true.

I cannot agree and definitely do not think it's true.

The Band was/were not the American version of anybody. They just were. And for a man of my tastes they were, for a while at least, the best in the business. With Dylan, the bootleg albumn Sam mentioned, I think, Music from Big Pink, is superb; the parallel one, The Basement Tapes is even better. These guys were musicians, real musicians. That other mob from Liverpool the eulogist mentioned couldn't play more than 3 chords when they began. None of them could ever sing. Now, I think even those with a bias would have to admit that Helm could really sing, and Manuel and Danko weren't bad either.

OK, maybe L&McC have them covered for productivity in songwriting. And maybe even Harrison wrote as much as Robertson. But was much of their stuff quality, really? Or kids' pop? I mean, again subjectively, did they ever come up with a song like Cripple Creek, or The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down?

But then I've got into hot water on these airwaves before for suggesting the Beatles are the most over-rated band in popular music history. O well, looks like another stoush on my hands...

Ken,

Just for the record (no pun meant) "Music From the Big Pink" was not a bootleg album but The Band's first commercially released album. It was recorded in a pink house they were renting in upstate New York not far from where Mr. Dylan was staying when he was convalescening after his famous motorcycle accident. It was during this period and I believe in that pink house where Dylan and the band recorded "The Basement Tapes". Then again, given my age I could be wrong about all of this and my feeble recollection of events. :fool:

While I can't agree with (and in fact wholeheartedly object to) Ken's easy dismissal of the Beatles--cue the hot water as expected--I totally agree with his dismissal of the wrong-headed (and kindly unnamed) eulogist.

These two uniquely great rock bands are no more the English vs American version of anything than would be the Dead and Pink Floyd (both great) or the Stones and Grand Funk RR (both rock) or the Dave Clark Five and the Southern California Marching Trojans (both bands).

Not their musical backgrounds, their reasons for uniting (or separating), their approach to music and performance, and not even their vastly different areas of influence could properly compare.

Can you imagine the Beatles' last live performance together being as the house band for a historic parade of independent rockers, rather than on a rooftop with no guest performers and barely visible to the outside world?

Nope. No way. No fucking way.

I agree Ken. I don't like when people simplify a singer or group by saying they are this version of that, or whatever.

Some say Leonard Cohen is the Canadian version of Bob Dylan. Back in the 60s/70s some said Donovan was the English version of Dylan.

All nonsense as far as I'm concerned.

Uhh, another case of not being in touch with the rest of the world when in Thailand. I didn't know Levon passed. How sad. Manuel, Danko and now Helm. The Band is one of my favorite bands ever . To watch them on dvd back up a young cocky Dylan in Royal Albert Hall, London, England the year i was born is just.....larger than life.

May you rest in peace, Levon.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rP7r12Rg490" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

from the last waltz. They don't make em like this anymore.