Testosterone Therapy

It's not my opinion, and if you bothered to check they found a 2-fold increase in cardiac events in 7500+ men under 65 using testesterone supplementation.

I advised you should know the risks when proceeding, so if you chose to ignore the risks, it is your choice. In your opinion (if you bothered to read it), a medical study conducted in collaboration with UCLA and published in the New England Journal of Medicine carries less weight than a bunch of guys posting on the internet about their use of testosterone.

Rxpharm is a licensed pharmacists and has been for a long while...He speaks with a great deal of knowledge and authority on testosterone and most all drugs and pharmaceuticals.  I would seriously doubt if you have any knowledge in this field that approaches his...

Rxpharm is simply offering his best professional advice to all of us...Take it or leave it...Up to you...Medical doctors sometimes don't completely understand the effects of drugs they prescribe...Often they turn to the experts - the pharmacists - to correct their mistakes...

Pease be civil and please stick whatever you want into your body...It is the one thing you truly own in this world...

Finally, in my opinion,and please understand that I am not attempting to make this personal, if you are 54 years old and are trying to recapture 24 years, you might need a bit more than testosterone therapy...But just my opinion........

rxpharm,

What is your opinion of DHEA as a non prescription natural supplement?  I have purchased and been taking DHEA in 100 mg capsules, and seem to notice some energy improvement. Though not enough to say it is anything more for sure than a placebo effect. 

Lefty, DHEA is dehydroepiandrosterone, which you already probably know. It is a "master" hormone that leads to the production of androgen and estrogen. It is produced primarily by the adrenal glands and also in the brain.

It can cause the following adverse effects from Natural Standards a primary reference for herbal and natural medications:

DHEA may cause side effects related to other hormones. Women may experience symptoms such as oily skin, increased unnatural hair growth, a deep voice, irregular periods, smaller breast size, and increased genital size. Men may experience breast tenderness, urinary urgency, aggression, or reduced size of the testes. Other side effects that may occur in either sex include acne, sleep problems, headache, nausea, skin itching, and mood changes. DHEA may also affect levels of other hormones, insulin, and cholesterol. Safety information is lacking on the long-term effects of DHEA. DHEA may increase the risk of prostate, breast, and ovarian cancers. I

It is also one of these medications that should be used with a workup/assessment and also monitoring. One of the challenges is determining the proper dose for a patient. Since this is taken orally, there is a large variation on how much can be absorbed by various people. For example a person who has low stomach acidity, may absorb more than a person with normal stomach acidity. Also the percentage absorbed would be low. A hormone is also a protein, which will break down in stomach acid, then passes to the small intestine, where it is absorbed and then the blood flow will take it to the liver, which has several enzymes that can further metabolize and break it down more.

Monitoring levels is the best way to determine the most effective dose for a patient. There is some debate going on to move the classification of this from OTC to prescription medication because of problems arising due to unmonitored use.

I would say that it's good you are experiencing some benefit, but would suggest a workup to determine what your DHEA levels are, and periodic monitoring to make sure you don't overdose and experience some adverse effects.

• Upvote 2

strocube, thanks for sharing your experience. A lot of people think if it's on the internet with many positive experiences posted, it must be true. They forget that few will post of their adverse experiences. That's why looking at well set up published medical studies is a more reliable way to determine what the risks are.

This is a risky thing to do with medications/herbals/naturopathic remedies, etc. Some people learn the hard way, and it's good you didn't have any more serious adverse effects from using DHEA.

• Upvote 1
  • 8 years later...
On 4/8/2012 at 8:11 AM, deepthroat said:

testosterone

Massachusetts Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D) and Ed Markey (D) are calling on the Biden administration to lift certain barriers that make it difficult for transgender people to access gender-affirming medical care.

In a letter sent last week to top administration officials including Attorney General Merrick Garland, Health Secretary Xavier Becerra and U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Administrator Anne Milgram, Warren and Markey argued that testosterone – currently a Schedule III controlled substance – should be rescheduled to make it more accessible to transgender men and nonbinary transmasculine people.