Amsterdam Tells Male Tourists From the U.K. To Stay Away

Pdoggg

The next time a British man between 18 and 35 types search terms looking for a cheap trip to Amsterdam for himself and his friends, he may see an unusual advertisement: “Stay away.”

In one such ad, a young man is slumped over a bench before he is taken into an ambulance by medical personnel. Another shows close-ups of a man being handcuffed and fingerprinted by the police. Overlaying text warns those who are “coming to Amsterdam for a messy night” that they could incur fines or hospital stays as well as criminal records or permanent damage to their health.

Those videos, which are prompted by search terms like “pub crawl Amsterdam,” are part of advertising by the city aimed at deterring young British men from coming to the Dutch capital for a rowdy weekend. The warnings come even though Amsterdam is partly known for access to marijuana and legal prostitution in the city’s red-light district.

Tourist destinations seem to view British tourists as at risk of overindulging in alcohol. The British government has even studied the phenomenon. In 2013, research showed that more than half of young people were likely to drink more on vacation than at home. “Some young Brits on holiday are putting themselves at risk of serious harm such as hospitalization, arrest or detention,” the British government said at the time.

The campaign is aimed at “nuisance tourists” who are planning to “go nuts,” according to Amsterdam’s announcement. It started this week and is initially focused on British men between 18 and 35. The city may expand it to other tourists, from the Netherlands and other European Union countries, later this year, according to the announcement.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/29/world/europe/amsterdam-uk-tourists-stay-away.html

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

The next time a British man between 18 and 35 types search terms looking for a cheap trip to Amsterdam for himself and his friends, he may see an unusual advertisement: “Stay away.”

In one such ad, a young man is slumped over a bench before he is taken into an ambulance by medical personnel. Another shows close-ups of a man being handcuffed and fingerprinted by the police. Overlaying text warns those who are “coming to Amsterdam for a messy night” that they could incur fines or hospital stays as well as criminal records or permanent damage to their health.

Those videos, which are prompted by search terms like “pub crawl Amsterdam,” are part of advertising by the city aimed at deterring young British men from coming to the Dutch capital for a rowdy weekend. The warnings come even though Amsterdam is partly known for access to marijuana and legal prostitution in the city’s red-light district.

Tourist destinations seem to view British tourists as at risk of overindulging in alcohol. The British government has even studied the phenomenon. In 2013, research showed that more than half of young people were likely to drink more on vacation than at home. “Some young Brits on holiday are putting themselves at risk of serious harm such as hospitalization, arrest or detention,” the British government said at the time.

The campaign is aimed at “nuisance tourists” who are planning to “go nuts,” according to Amsterdam’s announcement. It started this week and is initially focused on British men between 18 and 35. The city may expand it to other tourists, from the Netherlands and other European Union countries, later this year, according to the announcement.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/29/world/europe/amsterdam-uk-tourists-stay-away.html

So should I wear a sign that says, "IM not British"........But then of course I am not in the targeted age group, so perhaps its a mute point.......lol

• Like 1
On 3/31/2023 at 5:32 PM, Zeppie said:

So should I wear a sign that says, "IM not British"........But then of course I am not in the targeted age group, so perhaps its a mute point.......lol

It might be good. I had already commented about English tourists who behave on vacation as if they're in a conquered land. I'm not talking of hooligans but of middle and upper class  people who engage in provocative behavior and create tensions when they are in larger groups and feel emboldened. They see and want to rule the world at their own rules and uses but never understand that other people, particularly local people may see situations differently. 

• Like 1

The only time I have seen rowdy/ unsocial behaviour in Pattaya it has involved our UK friends. You know, the 19 to 29 age group getting pissed because that is what a "man" does. It was I think in the Robin Hood bar on Beach rd. There seems to be this attitude that the louder you talk and act, the more of a "man" you are.

My gf and I left the bar.

• Like 1

You know it is/was a bit of a coincidence, a while back was i was reading a message or form, with pictures, and the statement said another typical british fighting in the street, as the writer was essentially posting a pic as he was leaving the area.  It is rude to cause disturbances in someone else's country.

Speaking of which Pdoggg, anymore news on the Thia that shot the Btit in the back four times.  I would like to know how justice was administered.  

Americans are less common in Europe, and I have rarely seen them in Southeast Asia, so it's difficult to compare. Outside of Thailand, I find that tourists are more polite and easygoing, with the exception of Russians in Vietnam (though I've never had any issues with Russians) and Chinese tourists.

If I could offer one piece of advice to everyone, particularly those from English-speaking countries, it would be to acknowledge the local language and apologize not speaking the local before communicating in English. Also, it's important not to take advantage of your English proficiency to catch locals off guard. Each country has its own customs, so it's best to be respectful and keep a polite distance, rather than trying to correct locals, even if they may be difficult to deal with.

It's also important not to provoke people from other nationalities when you are drunk or unfamiliar with them. 

• Like 3
On 3/31/2023 at 4:32 PM, Zeppie said:

Well I ain't gonna wear a fucking sign with " kiss me, I'm Irish" or any other type of label just to prove I'm a lovely Irish gobshite,

If they understand 'pog no thoin' then I be fine :sign0006:

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2023 at 8:47 PM, Pulci Gorgon said:

Americans are less common in Europe, and I have rarely seen them in Southeast Asia, so it's difficult to compare. Outside of Thailand, I find that tourists are more polite and easygoing, with the exception of Russians in Vietnam (though I've never had any issues with Russians) and Chinese tourists.

If I could offer one piece of advice to everyone, particularly those from English-speaking countries, it would be to acknowledge the local language and apologize not speaking the local before communicating in English. Also, it's important not to take advantage of your English proficiency to catch locals off guard. Each country has its own customs, so it's best to be respectful and keep a polite distance, rather than trying to correct locals, even if they may be difficult to deal with.

It's also important not to provoke people from other nationalities when you are drunk or unfamiliar with them. 

Isn't that just common sense?  it's called manners.

• 3 months later...