Crazy Drivers in Thailand

Ashoka

I would go along with that. I cant comment on Africa or South America as they are two continents/ areas that I have not been to.

Although it hurts me to say it, I would say UK drivers are as good as any.

I must add that after my usual entry to Thailand at Swampy and then taxi down to Pattaya. After I arrive and exit the taxi I almost get to the point of kissing the ground after having survived the trip down. The number of drivers,(usually driving SUV's, Land Cruisers etc), exhibiting suicidal tendancies astounds me.

Having said that, it seems to be a universal thing that those same vehicles are often driven in a similar manner all over the world. 

47 minutes ago, Woodie said:

I must add that after my usual entry to Thailand at Swampy and then taxi down to Pattaya. After I arrive and exit the taxi I almost get to the point of kissing the ground after having survived the trip down. The number of drivers,(usually driving SUV's, Land Cruisers etc), exhibiting suicidal tendancies astounds me.

A safer alternative is the Jomtien Bus from the airport (143 baht) which is direct except for brief stops at on Sukhumvit at Pattaya North Road and Pattaya South Road.  It's a bit slower than a taxi but that's because the bus drives at the legal speed limit.  You buy your ticket on the ground floor level near Door 8 by the food court.  While waiting all the way back on your right at the food court you can get a cup of coffee for 15 baht.

https://airportpattayabus.com/

At the Jomtien bus station you can then either take a baht bus or a Bolt. (10 baht or about 60 baht for a Bolt depending where you go)

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Pdoggg said:

A safer alternative is the Jomtien Bus from the airport (143 baht) which is direct except for brief stops at on Sukhumvit at Pattaya North Road and Pattaya South Road.  It's a bit slower than a taxi but that's because the bus drives at the legal speed limit.  You buy your ticket on the ground floor level near Door 8 by the food court.  While waiting all the way back on your right at the food court you can get a cup of coffee for 15 baht.

At the Jomtien bus station you can then either take a baht bus or a Bolt. (10 baht or about 60 baht depending where you go)

Yep always used the Jomtien bus except once when Aero Flot put me down in swampy at 2:30 AM. Didn't feel like waiting for hours but I should have.

Just now, Woodie said:

Although it hurts me to say it, I would say UK drivers are as good as any.

You have obviously never been to N.Ireland then Woodie. Christ on a bike, some of the worst drivers in the world, I swear. It takes me an hour each day to calm down after my daily commute. Like fookin Whacky Races out there most days. I reckon some people got their licence in a lucky dip. Of course the road system doesn't help, in fact it adds to the madness. For a so called developed country, we have a third world road set up.

56 minutes ago, ciobha said:

You have obviously never been to N.Ireland then Woodie. Christ on a bike, some of the worst drivers in the world, I swear. It takes me an hour each day to calm down after my daily commute. 

I thought you were very good and calm when you drove me around the Capital that time. :biggrin:

11 hours ago, ciobha said:

You have obviously never been to N.Ireland then Woodie. Christ on a bike, some of the worst drivers in the world, I swear. It takes me an hour each day to calm down after my daily commute. Like fookin Whacky Races out there most days. I reckon some people got their licence in a lucky dip. Of course the road system doesn't help, in fact it adds to the madness. For a so called developed country, we have a third world road set up.

I would imagine Christ on a bike would be a bit dangerous?. Wouldn't be used to the traffic. I have spent some time in Ireland, but only a little in Nth Ireland when I played golf at Royal County Down.

16 hours ago, Pdoggg said:

At the Jomtien bus station you can then either take a baht bus or a Bolt. (10 baht or about 60 baht for a Bolt depending where you go)

I have tried the bus to Nth Pattaya, but for some stupid reason there were no taxis to take me to the hotel. Had to bribe a baht bus driver to take me. No other passengers!!.

Just now, Woodie said:

when I played golf at Royal County Down.

Bet you didn't get in to the clubhouse without a jacket and tie? Great course, probably better than Royal Portrush where they held The Open a few years ago, but the most hateful members in the world of golf. Sunningdale Golf Club in England has a sign in their doorway stating "all members of golf clubs are welcome in this establishment, except the members of Royal County Down".

• Like 2