Jump to content

Thai cost of living


Mabulox
 Share

Recommended Posts

I 've been in Thailand few years ago, so I would like asking you how much has the cost of living increased in the past three years?

From 2019 the prices of foodstuffs such as milk, coffee / cappuccino at Starbucks, tomatoes, pasta, apples, gasoline, diesel, cigarettes, electricity, beer, ham, cutting hair, has it increased or decreased?

Eating in an Italian restaurant or in a Japanese Fuji its  more or less expensive than in 2019?

Thanks you in advance

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cigarettes have increased effectively doubled in price (L&M's were 50 baht and in 2019 they were 100 baht). I believe the price has gone up again to 110 baht.

Fuel has gone up. I saw in the BKK Post the transport companies are trying to get the diesel price capped.

I did post fuel prices a few weeks ago. But the cost of goods and services will increase and that increase passed to the consumer.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, blind boy grunt said:

be careful that you are comparing the same things L&Ms standard finecut are 60 baht.

Well I mean LM red (tobacco is from Indonesia) & LM blue (tobacco is from the Philippines). Its the Import duty then?. It is confusing because they use the green packets now.

Yes I understand what your getting at BBG, but the more expensive brands such as Marlboro have shot up as well.

Well the point being, fuel has increased so essentially everything in time will eventually cost more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mabulox said:

I 've been in Thailand few years ago, so I would like asking you how much has the cost of living increased in the past three years?

 

Pattaya has experienced extreme deflation, most notably in the housing sector.  Condo prices, condo rents, and hotel prices have plummetted.  

I've also noticed more and more foot massage joints on Buakhao lowering their price to 100 baht.

More restaurants seem to be offering budget breakfasts.

Harder to measure is he price of girls, but from what I hear prices have not gone up.

The primary driver of lower prices at businesses that cater to farang is sharply curtailed demand.  The mix of expats and tourists has also dramatically changed.  Tourists are low information consumers who may not be aware where the best deals are located. Moreover many tourists couldn't give a flying fuck about finding the best deals as they don't want to think about money on holiday.

OTOH expats tend to be extremely price conscious and are also aware of where the best deals can be found.  Most tourists would find a daily budget of 2000 baht to be so absurdly low that they would just stay home if constrained to that amount while 2000 would be a fairly standard budget for farang although many farang live on much less perhaps as low as around 15K or 20K baht per month.

So businesses have to adjust if they want to ride out the pandemic resulting in lower prices in some service establishments.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Fenton said:

Well I mean LM red (tobacco is from Indonesia) & LM blue (tobacco is from the Philippines). Its the Import duty then?. It is confusing because they use the green packets now.

i understood what you meant, no worries... it's just the 'doubled price' i wondered if you were getting confused with. The packs at 50 baht last year are now 60.

L&M do 60baht packs in red, blue and green. Basically strong,mild and menthol. They also do premier packs, i guess imported, in king size, they are indeed 100+ baht.

i had a quick look in 7-11 this morning and prices for ciggy's range from 60 to 190 baht.

Great... a subject that interests me! mind you i would happily smoke hoss shit...

as a matter of interest [ to me] how much is a bog-standard brand in the UK now? or golden virginia hand-rolling stuff?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

i understood what you meant, no worries... it's just the 'doubled price' i wondered if you were getting confused with. The packs at 50 baht last year are now 60.

L&M do 60baht packs in red, blue and green. Basically strong,mild and menthol. They also do premier packs, i guess imported, in king size, they are indeed 100+ baht.

i had a quick look in 7-11 this morning and prices for ciggy's range from 60 to 190 baht.

Great... a subject that interests me! mind you i would happily smoke hoss shit...

as a matter of interest [ to me] how much is a bog-standard brand in the UK now? or golden virginia hand-rolling stuff?

Its expensive BBG, I will check for you. Most people have it from abroad ( fell off the back of the lorry from Europe ;-) ) the last time I bought a pouch it was Amber leaf (big pouch) £10 and that was years ago.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Fenton said:

ts expensive BBG, I will check for you. Most people have it from abroad ( fell off the back of the lorry from Europe ;-) ) the last time I bought a pouch it was Amber leaf (big pouch) £10 and that was years ago.

don't go to any trouble, it's not as though i'll be coming back to get any! interesting though to see how much it is now.. if you remember hand-rolling stuff was very much left alone at budget time, increase wise. i guess that has changed though?

Golden Virginia is available here, last one i bought was around 400 baht, that's the big pack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, blind boy grunt said:

don't go to any trouble, it's not as though i'll be coming back to get any! interesting though to see how much it is now.. if you remember hand-rolling stuff was very much left alone at budget time, increase wise. i guess that has changed though?

Golden Virginia is available here, last one i bought was around 400 baht, that's the big pack.

That is a bargain BBG. My personal favourite was Drum lite (Dutch) white packet, not blue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...