Beer Prices

Pdoggg

Qatar has the most expensive beer in the world, with an average price of US$11.26 per 33cl (330ml) bottle.
The cheapest beer is in South Africa, where the average price is $1.68 per bottle.

The Czech Republic has the highest consumption rate, with 468 beers per person per year.
Germans spend an average $1,907.78 per year on beer, the top figure in our study.

Qatar Wins World Cup for Expensive Beer
A beer in Qatar is expensive. The mostly Muslim country introduced a 100% tax on alcohol imports ahead of the 2022 World Cup, and visitors need a special permit to drink alcohol. China looks pretty expensive too, but consider that we averaged the price of a hotel beer ($13.61) and a supermarket beer ($1.81).

It’s clear the steep prices are aimed at visitors. Beer is cheapest in South Africa, where a culture of buying in bulk tends to keep prices down.

The ten countries with the highest average annual beer bill each have beer that costs upwards of four bucks. However, second-placed Poland is notable for its 62¢ carry-out beer, suggesting that much of Poland’s $1,738 average beer bill is built up by hotel-faring bachelor parties.

Bosnia is an outlier among the big drinkers: the country is in eighth place for beer consumption by bottle (331/year) but 30th for overall spend ($647.21), thanks to an average price that comes in under two bucks.

Germany Spends the Most On Beer
Haitians just aren’t that into beer. Spirits account for a whopping 97% of booze consumed in Haiti, where people drink fewer than four beers per year on average, with an annual beer bill of $10.02. That’s the lowest beer consumption and spend in our study.

At the other end of the scale, Germans spend just shy of $2k/year on beer. We found 15 countries with more expensive beer than Germany, but the nation sinks 411 bottles per person annually, so it pays the most in total. Germany is known for its beer culture and a stringent (delicious) beer purity law that has stood for over 500 years.

Czechia and Spain Lead Drinking Contest
So, who’s drinking all the beer? The Czech Republic takes the title, with 468 beers per person per year. However, capital Prague is the fourth most-visited city in Europe and infamous for its bachelor parties (for now at least). Like sunny Spain, in second place, Czechia’s beer consumption may be significantly swelled by visiting merry-makers.

Haiti drinks the least beer, counted per bottle or per spend. Most of the countries with a low beer intake can credit their predominantly Muslim populations for the abstinence. Armenia is an exception. The west Asian country drinks just 40 beers per person annually, with locals favoring brandy, vodka, and wine.

beer1.jpeg

beer2.jpeg

https://www.expensivity.com/beer-around-the-world/

20 hours ago, Woodie said:

They are changing the name to The New Zealand Cup!

Just poking a little fun at you. The America's Cup used to be sort of a medium big deal in the days before every football, soccer, basketball, baseball, hockey, etc game became available on TV. As I recall ABC's Wide World of Sports (anyone remember that) used to cover it. I had no idea who had the cup and I follow sports fairly seriously (which means I watch a lot of ESPN). It doesn't seem like a big deal these days or maybe we are just sore losers. B) 

13 hours ago, xyzzy said:

Just poking a little fun at you. The America's Cup used to be sort of a medium big deal in the days before every football, soccer, basketball, baseball, hockey, etc game became available on TV. As I recall ABC's Wide World of Sports (anyone remember that) used to cover it. I had no idea who had the cup and I follow sports fairly seriously (which means I watch a lot of ESPN). It doesn't seem like a big deal these days or maybe we are just sore losers. B) 

Yes, but as John Cleese said once,"countries apart from the USA play sport against other countries when staging a Championship!!!.

And you say you watch ESPN to look at sport????????. You mean 1 hour of ads and promos interspersed with 15 minutes of actual game time!!!!.

And yes maybe you are sore losers like Denis Conners!. Haha.

• Like 1
On 3/26/2021 at 6:45 AM, Woodie said:

And yes maybe you are sore losers like Denis Conners!. Haha

Case in point. I had to Google Denis Conners.

John Cleese, back in the days of the Clinton/Lewinsky matters, also said they do things a little different in in England. When we salute our leaders we only get down on one knee. :biggrin: 

• Like 1