Areas Of Chiang Mai

I was toying with the idea of staying in Chiang Mai for a few months next year or maybe then year after next.

I've been there twice but a long time ago and stayed in the Loi Krok area. But I have no real need to be around hostess bars.

I'd like to be in an area that has late night red bus service and have no desire to rent a motobike. I like them idea of being able to walk to where I want to go.

Googling around I see some seem to like Nimman. I was also thinking about them Old City. 

Is it easy to find a nice enough place with an affordable rent in these areas?

Or would I not want to be in these areas?

If living in the Old City is it better to be near certain gates?

It's been years since I've been to Chang Mai. Was there on my very first trip to the kingdom, way back on 08. I stayed in the old part of town. There were plenty of cheap and very decent accomidatiins available. Lots of places to eat and stuff to do within walking distance. 

Got a bit chilly in the evenings. This was most welcome after the oppressive heat of BKK and environs. 

During my visits to Chiang Mai, I only stayed near the Chiang Mai and Tha Phae gates. I preferred the Chiang Mai gate. It was a little less touristy than the Tha Phae Gate. I stayed at the Smith Residence. They have cheap rooms on the lower floors, decent wi-fi and a small rooftop pool. It was LB friendly when I stayed there. Lots of cheap eats and coffee shops nearby, and a short walk to Chiang Mai Gate Food Market where you will have a wide selection of good cheap food. I found a little place way in the back of the market with decent soups for about 40 baht.  There's also a Tesco Express right next door to the entrance to the food market.

Never took a baht bus or used a tuk tuk when there because I rented a scooter. Baht buses are best value and all over the place but I have no idea about the routes. Heard nothing but bad things about the tuk tuks. I believe the short trips start at 100 baht.

Nimman is a nice neighborhood with a mostly younger crowd of university students, digital nomads, and a sprinkling of backpackers. Most of the backpackers stay around the Old City. Pretty sure there are some reasonably priced accommodations in the Nimman area, too. 

• Upvote 1

Hi  I've just had a month in Chainag Mai and stayed at apartments called The Opium serviced apartments.

Excellent prices, gym and pool and really helpful staff.

location is half a km north of the moat and I found many cheap, organic, vegetarian restaurants 

worth a look to see if it fits your needs, but a nice non tourist, non backpacker, non dickhead beer boy area

good luck

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • 1 year later...
On 1/12/2017 at 7:18 AM, Sylvester said:

During my visits to Chiang Mai, I only stayed near the Chiang Mai and Tha Phae gates. I preferred the Chiang Mai gate. It was a little less touristy than the Tha Phae Gate. I stayed at the Smith Residence. They have cheap rooms on the lower floors, decent wi-fi and a small rooftop pool. It was LB friendly when I stayed there. Lots of cheap eats and coffee shops nearby, and a short walk to Chiang Mai Gate Food Market where you will have a wide selection of good cheap food. I found a little place way in the back of the market with decent soups for about 40 baht.  There's also a Tesco Express right next door to the entrance to the food market.

Never took a baht bus or used a tuk tuk when there because I rented a scooter. Baht buses are best value and all over the place but I have no idea about the routes. Heard nothing but bad things about the tuk tuks. I believe the short trips start at 100 baht.

Nimman is a nice neighborhood with a mostly younger crowd of university students, digital nomads, and a sprinkling of backpackers. Most of the backpackers stay around the Old City. Pretty sure there are some reasonably priced accommodations in the Nimman area, too. 

Is this service apartments or hotel ?