Puzzles and Conundrums

Lefty

15 hours ago, Tomcat said:

NEW puzzle

Many Scientists use this as a password ..... O,T,T,F,F ... as its the beginning of an infinite sequence with a simple rule ...and you wont ever forget it no matter how drunk you are

what are the next two letters of the sequence

S,S

I won't spoil it in case others still want to figure out how or why.

• Like 2
On 8/25/2020 at 6:31 PM, Tomcat said:

NEW puzzle

Many Scientists use this as a password ..... O,T,T,F,F ... as its the beginning of an infinite sequence with a simple rule ...and you wont ever forget it no matter how drunk you are

what are the next two letters of the sequence

Sydneyjohn and then DixonC got it correct

S S  are the next numbers standing for six and seven........ One , Two , Three , Four , Five.. and so on

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ozzie said:

JJASON - June July August September October November

The correct answer is now clear to others despite you answering incorrectly.

The correct answer was simply  JJ

You may feel that is splitting hairs, but it reminds me of the exam paper which instructs the takers to read all of the questions first before answering any. The last item states to then only respond to one which was to write your name in the top corner of the page  :Monkey:  :laugh:

1 hour ago, Tomcat said:

New Puzzle ..... from " The Brain  users guide" .. lateral thinking quiz

What five letter word becomes shorter when you add two letter to it ?

short

• Like 1
12 hours ago, dixon cox said:

The correct answer is now clear to others despite you answering incorrectly.

The correct answer was simply  JJ

You may feel that is splitting hairs, but it reminds me of the exam paper which instructs the takers to read all of the questions first before answering any. The last item states to then only respond to one which was to write your name in the top corner of the page  :Monkey:  :laugh:

short

In most exams that I have ever taken supplying extra information does not usually make your answer incorrect. But hey its your question and you can judge it as you see fit.

On 9/10/2016 at 1:25 AM, Pdoggg said:

You and four ladyboys find a 1000 baht note on the floor of Lita Bar. None of you have change, so you agree to play a game of chance to divide the money probabilistically. The five of you sit around a table. The game is played in turns. Each turn, one of three things can happen, each with an equal probability: The 1000 baht note can move one position to the left, one position to the right, or the game ends and the person with the 1000 baht in front of him or her wins the game. You have the biggest dick, so the1000 baht starts in front of you. What are the chances you win the money?

11 hours ago, Tomcat said:

... Also maybe you can figure out the Lita Bar 1000 baht note question as i cant understand it

After thinking a third plus a third plus a third I decided I didn't have the patience or ability to continue, so I translated pdogg's 4-year old ladyboy version back to normal and googled it :biggrin:

Spoiler alert:  If you click the link below you will see only the translation, not the answer. You need to subsequently click 'Show Solution' to reveal the answer.

https://laurentlessard.com/bookproofs/splitting-a-hundred-dollar-bill/

I'm a words person, this is too mathematical for me :Monkey:

• Like 1
12 hours ago, dixon cox said:

so I translated pdogg's 4-year old ladyboy version back to normal and googled it :biggrin:

This gave me a headache so I rather picture a circle jerk with them ladymen. Who cums first gets the baht.

Oh wait , we did that in Stringfellows many many years ago. Lek  won.

• Like 1

this one never got answered from years ago ...how does the white square get there  

It fooled me first time and i had to read up the answer.. i have enlarged the image this time around so PDogg may have another shot

This puzzle was made by  a New Yorker , Paul Curry in 1958 , but the principle used here of the dissection paradox goes back to the 16th Century

missing-square-puzzle-3.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sydneyjohn57 said:

Something to do with the angle difference between the blue and red triangle and how it slots into the grid.

Yes, well done Sydney John!  This was really stumping me.

Since the blue and red triangles have different slopes then neither A or B are actually triangles but rather they are quadrilatetals. So A and B have different areas with neither being exactly 32.5 which would be the area of a 13 x 5 triangle. 

• Like 1