Thai Van Drivers

That's some crazy driving !!! 

Add taxi drivers to that list also , and motorbike drivers ...in fact pretty much most people on the roads out there .

The only time I feel stressed in Thailand is crossing the road or riding in a taxi . 

Even a tussle with one of Big Tel's rather sassy "ladies" would be less dangerous .

To be fair, van drivers in good old Northern Ireland are no better. Try driving the M2 any evening at 5.30 p.m and you will see what I mean. I was held up by 3 accidents this week causing mayhem on my commute, and when I eventually made it to the scene of the accident, after sitting in traffic for over an hour, in each instance a van was involved.

I remember somebody once joked "what is the fastest vehicle on the road", the answer, "no, not a ferrari, a company van" as it seems as most of these vans are company vehicles, the driver seems to think that is hidden code for drive like a lunatic, as fast you can.

I took those van trips to the border too many times.........

Each trip more frightening than the last........

In Bangkok you can ride a big bus to the border for like money......

I did feel a lot safer lumbering along in a big bus while being passed left and right by the underpowered Toyota vans......

In this video that van driver is very very lucky...It truly ain't a fair contest between a 4,000 pound tin Toyota van and an 80,000 pound semi........

the best solution is to have a lb personal driver....( lately in Phuket renting a motorbike cost me 150 baht a day ) i let them ride me around and from my experience they are excellent drivers !

how nice is to sit behind them and embracing them softly relaxing on the way.....

• Upvote 1

That's some crazy driving !!! 

Add taxi drivers to that list also , and motorbike drivers ...in fact pretty much most people on the roads out there .

The only time I feel stressed in Thailand is crossing the road or riding in a taxi . 

Even a tussle with one of Big Tel's rather sassy "ladies" would be less dangerous .

Im not sure about that Jim   :biggrin:

Funny... 

I am chuckling away here as I type at your "rather sassy "ladies" ,   Jim  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

the best solution is to have a lb personal driver....( lately in Phuket renting a motorbike cost me 150 baht a day ) i let them ride me around and from my experience they are excellent drivers !
how nice is to sit behind them  and embracing them softly relaxing on the way.....

with a hard-on?  :biggrin:

• 4 months later...

Four people were killed and another was seriously injured when a passenger van slammed into a roadside power pole while engaging in a car race with another van on the in-bound Chon Buri-Rayong highway in Chon Buri’s Muang district on Tuesday.

The dead victims included the driver of the passenger van shuttling between Chon Buri and Rayong, identified as Kraisorn Worasarn, 31, and his assistant. Kraisorn was crushed to death behind the steering wheel while his assistant who sat on the front seat next to the driver was thrown out of the van and died upon impact with the road surface.

Two women passengers and a male passenger were seriously injured. They were rushed to Burapha hospital but the two women, identified as Ms Kanya Katechirakarn and Ms Sudjai Srikaew, later succumbed to their deaths.

Eyewitnesses said that Mr Kraisorn engaged in a high speed race with another passenger van. However, when the van arrived in front of Bang Phra power station, it slid out of road and crashed into a roadside power pole.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/four-killed-and-one-injured-in-a-car-race-accident