Bangkok number one in the world?

JaiDee

I ain't never been much of a city type guy JD, but I have spent considerable time in Bangkok...

With the traffic jams, smog, crowds, dirt, grime, broken sidewalks, rude people and smelly shit everywhere I can't imagine that it was voted the #1 city in the World two years running...

If it hadn't been for the lovely half masculine half feminine creatures I likely never would have found my way there...

Truthfully I can think of 10 cities in the USA alone that I rank higher than Bangkok...Just too bad that they don't have ladyboys...

I enjoyed it at first; being from small-town new england originally, I found it exciting and loved the action. I also had a good job which kept me really involved with the LB community, and I enjoyed the nightlife and had a lot of friends, cheap rent, good food, etc....it was all quite intoxicating. But that wore off fast and after 4 high seasons there that was enough.

I wouldn't consider it number one, not by a long shot; personally I like Amsterdam, Prague and even Montreal nicer and better in so many ways, and in the states I would put NYC and probably even Boston ahead of it. Not sure what the criteria was for the people who made up the list, obviously they haven't sat in rush-hour traffic for what felt like an eternity or gotten sick from street food multiple times.

I wouldn't consider it number one, not by a long shot; personally I like Amsterdam, Prague and even Montreal nicer and better in so many ways, and in the states I would put NYC and probably even Boston ahead of it. Not sure what the criteria was for the people who made up the list

According to the article it was picked as "this year’s most dynamic, vacation-worthy place".

I'd agree with that assessment, especially if comparing it to the 3 choices offered above. I've not traveled that much, but I just happen to have vacationed in each within the past 5 years.

1. Amsterdam: dirty and smelly, just like Bangkok, but far more panhandlers and drug addicts around; prices far too expensive (the jews have NOTHING on the Dutch when it comes to being cheap/stingy) and aside from the pommes frites stands, there wasn't much to recommend it. One great record shop, dozens of overpriced fat western whores, and a couple great museums. I suppose if you're a fan of the herb it has it's attractions. I'm not, so I'd take a day in Bangkok over another week in Amsterdam anytime.

2. Prague: see my assessment of Amsterdam, add a 2nd decent vinyl store, and remove the pommes frites and great museums and you have Prague in a nutshell. Oh, it's cold and snowy as fuck in the winter; I'd almost prefer the monsoons.

3. Montreal: like Canada but they speak French. One great independent hooker (Shannie) but the rest of the city sorta blows.

I've got NYC high on my list of "must do" tourist activities, as well as Tokyo, Bejing, Hong Kong, Mumbai, and many others. I'm sure I'll probably find most of them rank higher than these three. And I'd immediately and without hesitation place London just below Bangkok as my favorite world city for tourist travel.

Remember, this list was based upon a criteria of "dynamic, vacation-worthy cities". It sounds like you're voting based upon livability which is a completely different set of criteria.

Remember, this list was based upon a criteria of "dynamic, vacation-worthy cities". It sounds like you're voting based upon livability which is a completely different set of criteria.[/size]

Yups, this list was based more on vacationing than on living, and I can understand how BKK would be a cool place to visit for the uninitiated; the sights, smells, sounds and the basic assault on the senses can be very exciting indeed.

For myself, I am looking more at livability; I am tired of doing the 6 months in the west and 6 months in the east deal; the plane rides are killer and I need to find one place to settle down post-50. Many cities on the list are attractive to me, and if you expand from the top 10 they list 30 more, including Venice, which would be an amazing place to live. Amsterdam and Prague made the extended list, but with the CZ becoming part of the EU soon I know I can't afford it there and as you say the winters would be rough.

BKK is on my short list, but most likely I will settle someplace further south which has nice beaches and no traffic.

DT,

If you made a petite effort to learn and speak a little French while spending less time in cheap motels and dark alleyways perhaps Montreal would not "blow" so much. You might even discover something other than hookers.

Montreal by far is one of the more interesting cities on the continent. But like all cities you need to get to know it.

I gotta get to Tacoma or Spokane or wherever you're from so I can trash it. :friends:

DT,

If you made a petite effort to learn and speak a little French while spending less time in cheap motels and dark alleyways perhaps Montreal would not "blow" so much. You might even discover something other than hookers.

Montreal by far is one of the more interesting cities on the continent. But like all cities you need to get to know it.

I gotta get to Tacoma or Spokane or wherever you're from so I can trash it. :friends:

Hey, remember - we're talking VACATION destinations in this thread. Unless you're on a some sort of John Deere tractor pilgrimage, there's not much to see 'round these parts. Although we do have some very picturesque grain silos just out of town!

Chez parlay vouz non pluss derriere les miserables toot suite. Fuck you too, I can speak Francoise you francophone nob!

aggressive.gif

According to the article it was picked as "this year’s most dynamic, vacation-worthy place

Gotta admit you're correct DT...I was looking at it the wrong way..

My first few visits I did find it dynamic and vacation worthy...I fell in love with Bangkok...But not for the reasons they list...I suppose I've just visited too many times and stayed for too long...and perhaps I was looking for love in all the wrong places...

Then I discovered Pattaya and places north and the love affair with Thailand began all over again...Last trip, early this year, my six month stay turned into a two month stay and I was forced to return to the States...I wasn't too upset...

Now I'm headed back next week and I'm not excited at all...I think maybe the love affair is over...

Those lists are always a little strange....SIAM REAP gets in at number 7 FFS-its no more than a small town,and take away the nearby angkor wat and its a shit hole...very few LBs to be had also,I only saw a couple of young femboys when i was there .....and no mention on that list of Berlin,imo the best city in europe by a country mile.....Bangkok number 1?....surely not-the more one visits there,the quicker its allure seems to fade....

• 3 weeks later...

Since we are not talking about livability but vacationing I have to agree with DT, except for Berlin there I would prefer Munich. Amsterdam - same same, however when it comes to Montreal I would prefer Vancouver BC. Rio de Janeiro used to be my number 1 until i got to know Thailand a bit better. Now I give BKK the number 1 spot but only if I can include the rest of Thailand.

Here are a few Photos, first the BKK Riverboat Dinner Cruise, at US $30 not to be missed. Than Pattaya off the beaten ladyboy path and last the foating Market outside BKK.

In my next post I have a few photos of the area around Chiang Rai

post-686-078135800 1317939938.jpg

post-686-003529700 1317939961.jpg

post-686-031903200 1317939978.jpg

post-686-020141700 1317940000.jpg

post-686-002851900 1317940016.jpg

post-686-031332700 1317940067.jpg

post-686-069368800 1317940101.jpg

post-686-005374200 1317940118.jpg

post-686-033261000 1317940138.jpg

post-686-000498600 1317940159.jpg

• Upvote 3

Thailand is my favorite spot (surprise), I've been to a lot of places in Asia, and while I've had great times and enjoyed them, none have been as good as Thailand. And certainly none of them would be a place I would want to live (except maybe Hong Kong, if I had a big salary and could travel a lot).

Bangkok and Thailand has so many advantages, cheap food, cheap hotels, great shopping, movies, etc...

Travel wise there are 100's of places to go inside Thailand, lots of islands (Phuket being the worse of them :) ) , national forests, ancient ruins in the North, etc...

I have a long list of places inside Thailand I still want to visit.

Plus Thailand is centrally located, making it easy to visit Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Nepal, China, etc...

And Thais are friendly people (most of them), that is not the feeling I get traveling around Vietnam and China. Balinese and Laos are also very friendly and two of my favorite spots to go.

Hi Snick, cant agree more, Thats just the way I feel about Thailand and the people. But to get there one has to relate to the Thais a bit more than just ST with a LB. Thais are proud of and love Thailand and are happy to show it to you if you give them a chance.

Below a couple of photos of northern Thailand and a school graduation.

Hi farangbah, nice to hear from you. You are right, they are "send home to ma pictures" but after all this blog runs under the title Thailand Travel not Soi 6. I am sorry that i cant post my LB pictures since one of the LB's got married and others got sponsors, in addition I failed to get permission from the LB's in question to post on the net. However, on my next trip in February I will do my best to get postable LB photos and and post them in the proper forum location.

Hope to meet you in February at the GOTC