SIM CARDS

tel77

hi there could anybody please give me an update on getting a sim card,for an unlocked phone?do i need to register with a passport?or id?or neither.

Currently it's pretty easy.  You just go to a 7/11 or Family Mart or other places and you can get a SIM card for 50 baht. No registration.

But I hear that's changing in Thailand and soon a Thai will need to present their ID and a non-Thai their passport.

In Cambodia I've always had to show my passport.

Anyone know about the Philippines?

• Upvote 1

Currently it's pretty easy.  You just go to a 7/11 or Family Mart or other places and you can get a SIM card for 50 baht. No registration.

But I hear that's changing in Thailand and soon a Thai will need to present their ID and a non-Thai their passport.

In Cambodia I've always had to show my passport.

Anyone know about the Philippines?

I've never had to show ID in the Philippines but haven't been in a few years.

Wasn't this Thai stuff suppose to start Feb 1? I've heard nothing since the orginal announcement. If 7/11 has to get paper work from you wouldn't be hard to imagine the price might go up a bit? I though 7/11 was 100B but again it's been a long time.

7/11s and Family Marts charge whatever the price really is.

Phone shops often try one on with a markup as 100 baht just sounds so reasonable.

What I do find confusing are Sims that are marketed as internet Sims but can fit in both phones.  i-2-Call has various types and I don't know whether call or text charges are the same for all Sims or not.

I would prefer to get one that only works in a dumbphone.  But now that Somchai from Nakhon Nowhere has a smrtphone, I'm the last man standing with my Cheap Charlie Nokia.

I have always had the best luck going to the source (AIS-12Call or True) at one of their offices (every shopping mall).  It is easier to come up with the correct sim and correct package for your calling and data needs.  Some packages have time and data limitations that require more than just a top-up.

Also, both companies have good English speaking customer service lines.

All of the companies have desks on the arrival level at Suvarnabhumi.  My experience there was that they were rushed and more likely to push "Travel Plans".  Travel plans have some limitations.

• Upvote 2

I have always had the best luck going to the source (AIS-12Call or True) at one of their offices (every shopping mall).  It is easier to come up with the correct sim and correct package for your calling and data needs.  Some packages have time and data limitations that require more than just a top-up.

AIS has a desk at the BKK airport almost right outside the customs exits. Closer to the high numbered baggage carousels if I remember correctly. But if you have a late night arriving flight it is usually closed then.

• 5 months later...

The hard deadline for Thai sim card registration comes this Friday, July 31/15 as reported in the Bangkok Post:

Cut-off arrives Friday for prepaid mobile stragglers

Nearly 20 million prepaid mobile phone numbers can expect to be cut off after Friday's deadline imposed by the national telecom regulator.

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) expects 65 million prepaid mobile users to register their personal information under the regulator's circular, effective Saturday.

The 20 million unregistered numbers are believed to be inactive users, said NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tantasith.

The regulation governing the registration of prepaid SIM cards is to prevent criminals that use unregistered SIM cards from easily exploiting the numbers for illicit activity. It also seeks to redress the rampant growth of prepaid subscribers, many of whom are virtual, causing a waste of phone number resources and misuse of prepaid SIM cards.

The cabinet approved the regulation earlier this year as part of the national security agenda. From Friday, those failing to register subscriber information will no longer be able to use outbound mobile calling and data services. They can receive incoming calls and SMS messages for one more month.

"We believe an additional 5 million prepaid users will register their numbers during August after they experience the cut-off," said Mr Takorn.

He acknowledged that the NBTC could not bring all existing prepaid numbers into its registration system, as 20 million numbers are believed to be inactive.

Thailand has 105 million mobile subscribers, with 90 million being prepaid.

The NBTC recently spent 40 million baht to promote its prepaid registration campaign, offering 50,000 service points to assist users.

From Feb 1 next year, mobile operators will be fined 80,000 baht a day if they activate new prepaid SIM cards without registering them.

It is a simple matter to register your SIM card if you haven't already done so, just go to a 7/11, Family Mart, etc. and ask to get it done. You have to show your passport. The clerk takes a photo of it and then registers your sim with the passport information - free of charge. The phone providers (AIS, True, DTAC, etc) shops will also do this for you. As mentioned at Suvarnabhumii Airport in the arrivals hall, most of the providers have kiosks set up to buy SIM cards, top up, or register.

• Upvote 1

Ah no ! 

Looks like I'll lose my number then .

Is it possible to register online ? 

I'm not sure it is possible, but go to your provider's home page. Most have English language options now, so you can do a number of transactions or find information about your plan.

You've got until Sept. to register your SIM as it can still receive incoming calls/sms/data, but no outgoing calls/sms, so if you will be back to LOS by then it should be ok.

• Upvote 2

I read somewhere of a guy who asked a thai friend to register his number on her name. All she had to do was walk in a 7/11 and present her id. Sounds a bit strange that you can claim (register) a number without having the phone present but TIT so it could be true

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...