How did I get here??

bumblebee

"And you may ask yourself-Well...How did I get here?"

-Talking Heads

Who's The Daddy?

I was flicking through Youtube a few nights ago, and came across a video that brought back fond memories of my early days in Los. It was my third trip to Los, back in November/December '04 and I was hanging out on Hua Hin beach. I got chatting to a couple of Thai girls, and they told me that their German friend was looking for farangs for an add some company was making in HH airport, yes there is one lol.

Anyway they gave me his contact number, and as I was no doing anything I gave him a call, nothing to lose, and it would get me away from the beach for a few days. He told me he was meeting anyone who was interested, in the Hilton the following day, and to come along if I felt like it. So the next day I found myself with a group of local farangs having our photos taken in the foyer of the hotel. The shooting was taking place the next day, Tuesday, and we would get 2000 baht each for our troubles, easy if small money for sitting around I thought.

We were picked up in a mini van the next morning at 7 am, and spent the rest of the day chatting, hanging around, eating some fine catering and doing crowd scenes in the airport. This was how I first got to know some of the expats in HH, and why I feel a part of the place to this day. The ad was for M150 power drink, and there were some famous Thai singers in it, Lanna Cummins, Sek Loso, Big Ass and Silly Fools. Most of us had no idea who they were, and had to be told. We were not needed on Wednesday, and were told to come back on Thursday, the final day of filming.

It turned out the company had rented out the airport for 3 days, and had to finish filming by 10 pm Thursday. It was a big production we heard, with a lot of money involved to get these singers on board. One of the assistants told me I was not needed for the general crowd scenes, but to stay as I would be needed later. By 7 pm most of the shooting was finished, and the group I had traveled up with were no longer needed and were free to head back to HH, but I was told to hang around as i was required later. Hang on I though, I am getting paid the same as the rest, and they are finished. I had a word about this to the German guy, and he managed to get me an extra 1500 Baht for a few more hours work.

So where is all this going? Well the ad involved this little girl who gets separated from her parents in the airport and has an adventure with the Thai singers before being reunited with her parents. Who was chosen to be the father only yours truly. The mother was her actual mother. I sat there and though to myself, how did I get here? The film crew have to vacate the airport by 10 pm and suddenly from chilling on HH beach here I am, one of the pivotal characters in the final part of the ad along with all these famous Thais If I walk away the whole thing is ruined as I am needed in some scenes that will be inserted at different parts of the ad, and they would not be able to find another guy in time to re-shoot it all before the deadline. It's a funny old world I though to myself.

Have any of you guys every found yourselves in a situation, either in Los or elsewhere where you have thought "How did I get here?"

See do any of you recognise the ugly bloke at 1.21/1.22 seconds. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

great anecdote BB....I TOLD u you looked a little like Tom Cruise(only not as gay).......how did I get here?Ive woken up in the odd police cell ,still drunk wondering that a few times....plus 1 for the great thread

Haha somehow I don't think Tom has gobbled as many cocks in his time, well then again... :rolleyes:. As I mentioned, this ad was the key to me meeting some of the expats in HH, guys who I still meet up with when I am back in town. A wonderful chance encounter that keeps me coming back to HH time and again. This ad was quite big in Los back in early '05 apparently.

I am looking forward to some interesting tales from some of the FMs here. Have never woken up in a police cell mind. :ph34r:

post-106-007523300 1313010665.jpg

post-106-041405600 1313010669.jpg

How did I get here, well if I hadn't bumped into a certain Mr. Slim by total coincidence in Guess bar one night four years ago, I don't think I would be here now.

But I wont bore you with the details.

I happened to be there myself on that famous occasion and it was the first time I met your good self and the young lad. It was the first year birthday party if my memory serves me well. I think myself and Tom were perhaps the only guys there who had traveled to Suk road on one of those old green 3 Baht a ride army looking buses that night. :hi:

That's right BB, I remember your good self and young Tom being there also. It was the first birthday party at Guess and a bloody good night as I recall. Mr.Slim may not remember it just as clearly as he was as full as a gypsy's tit. :help: If it had not been for you guys being there that night, although my admiration and desire for our favourite ladies would still have remained, I may not have been as open and confident in pursuing this pastime. Isn't it strange how things work out.

• Upvote 1

That's right BB, I remember your good self and young Tom being there also. It was the first birthday party at Guess and a bloody good night as I recall. Mr.Slim may not remember it just as clearly as he was as full as a gypsy's tit. :help: If it had not been for you guys being there that night, although my admiration and desire for our favourite ladies would still have remained, I may not have been as open and confident in pursuing this pastime. Isn't it strange how things work out.

Chance meetings indeed. Funnily enough I had met Tom only a few days previous in Hua Hin. Got chatting to him in a bar late one night, and left it at that. The next day I bumped into him on the beach, and between one thing and another the subject of LBs came up and he said "Look man, I have to tell you, I love ladyboys" well no shit I thought, and fessed up I did also.

He was just back from Britain, and on his way home to Chiang Mai to meet up with his mate Fridgemagnet. They thought they were the only LB lovers in all of Los. I told him about the forums, which he was totally unaware of, and mentioned I was on my way to Bkk to the party, he had no idea about Guess. So he might well have asked himself that night in Guess, "How did I get here?"

• 2 weeks later...

I had one of these particular moments in Bangkok a few years ago. I met a GG whose father is high up in the military. We met up one afternoon,and as paps was away in the US she said we could stay in his house on the military base in the Dusit area of the city. She had to be discreet bringing guys back and so as we approached the compound I had to lie down on the back seat, luckily it was dark at this stage also.

Anyway during the night there was a lot of truck activity outside. Many vehicles were milling around the area. She told me this was very unusual and perhaps they were preparing for a coup. A COUP I thought, and here is my good self trapped in a military enclosure. How did I get here indeed.

As as foot note it was a false alarm, Nevertheless the next day we still had to leave the compound without me being recognised. My friend has the bright idea of dressing me up as one of her female friends. A taxi is called, which pulls right up to the door and she ushers me into the back seat at great haste. I bundle myself in, keep my head down and we head towards the exit gate. I have seldom felt so relieved to be back in the civilian world and being able to remove this ridiculous costume and make up albeit in the back seat. A second how did I get here moment I guess.

• Upvote 2

Great thread BB!.. C'mon you really are Tom Cruise aren't you?

Nice story too Vee!.. I used to date a really 'BIG' policeman's daughter from Mea Sot a few years back until I went & got got caught carrying dope in BKK... Fuck, the silly daft bitch only went & tried to get me off with her influence!!!.. And I just thought, "Oh fuckin' no, no, no, no, I'm really dead now, when her dad hears about this he's probably going to have me 'take a trip up the jungle' for bringing this kind of shame to his doorstep!

Anyway, I just had to drop her like a ton of hot bricks right on the spot & pay my own way out of trouble... And I can tell you for nothing, just right then & there I thought, 'How the fuck did I get here'?? :ph34r:

I woke up in a tree once.

We met up one afternoon,and as paps was away in the US she said we could stay in his house on the military base in the Dusit area of the city. She had to be discreet bringing guys back and so as we approached the compound I had to lie down on the back seat, luckily it was dark at this stage also.

Anyway during the night there was a lot of truck activity outside. Many vehicles were milling around the area. She told me this was very unusual and perhaps they were preparing for a coup. A COUP I thought, and here is my good self trapped in a military enclosure. How did I get here indeed.

If it was coup time they might have thought you were a mysterious falang double agent! :D

• 1 year later...

Was sitting at home tonight having a few beverages and there was a program about Cambodia on TV. Watching Phnom Penh and seeing some familiar sights, it seemed so strange to be watching these places I know so well, from the comfort of my home, the living room I have spent my life in, easily the most familiar environment in my world

Under the mild influence I smiled to myself and wondered did it actually happen, was I living in that place not so long ago. I am sure we have all had those moments, when our regular life is interrupted with reminders of the other life we have in SE Asia and elsewhere. With a few beers on board it's quite an enjoyable feeling.

The flashbacks happen more frequently the older you get BB...Sometimes I wish I could back a U-haul truck up to my brain and load it up...Purge the past...But after all is said and done I suppose most of those flashbacks of times past are good memories...

But the goal should always be, to make new memories...

I am sure we have all had those moments, when our regular life is interrupted with reminders of the other life we have in SE Asia and elsewhere.

Funny, I just went through the exact opposite, perhaps not unlike the reverse peephole on Seinfeld... It was like 4PM and I was on the train on the way home from work when I realized, hell, it's 9/11. There had been none of what I am sure were the ubiquitous reminders back home, where I was on that fateful day, and here I was looking back on my old life and it was really trippy.

I thought about contributing to the resurrected 9/11 thread here about that day, but for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I am a world away now, and this year's anniversary almost came and went without me even noticing it. Pretty strange feeling...

BB, it did happen. And it's gettin' on about time to happen all over again, buddy! :drinks:

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

On a summer's evening in 1889 a well known clown at the time took to the stage in Tralee, Co. Kerry, Ireland.  He sang a song about Catholics and Protestants living together which some in the audience took offense to and he was hit on the head with an iron bar, subsequently dying of his injuries, all very tragic, but.....  his widow then married his business partner, who passed away within a year and the next man she went on to marry was my great grandfather and here I am today in Thailand.