Band Names

SiamSam

Out of curiosity I Googled the lyrics ,(so I guess that counts me out) . I think I know it now but not conclusively.

Hmmmm, well I guess we'll have to put the 24 hour "cone of silence" on this one and we'll spill the beans tomorrow unless someone comes forth in the interim. 

Have a well tormented evening.

A deceased film director made them famous.

Did he direct Trainspotting? This question rings a very vague bell but like Hefe, I have the answer buried somewhere back in the deep recess of my mind.

I know I read once about a band taking their name from a Bowie song. But that's all I can recall. Damn it.

Pacman, if you have an affinity for the rock music of the 60-70s you must see Spinal Tap, it's hysterical, esp if you were ever in a band or friends of a band. One of those movies I never tire of watching over again. Plus there are a lot of bit parts who went on to bigger things in their career.

Thanks Hefe. It is a movie that is referred to & talked about so often that I feel I know it but somehow I missed it. 

I will make the effort whenever I next see it programmed. I should order it but I never seem to get around to watching DVDs.

Some movies rise above their place in time & become entrenched in the popular culture. Spinal Tap is such a film.

The David Bowie song "Jean Genie" inspired the name of what famous UK band?

good question Sam....no freakin idea....even your clues didnt help.........the jean genie was a loose reference to iggy pop tho wasn't it....anyway.....no idea about the band name....as for spinal tap cracking film.....

Legend has it, Oasis frontman Liam Gallagher thought Spinal Tap were a real band. Says his brother Noel: "He thought they were real people. We went to see them in Carnegie Hall. He'd seen the film and loved it and thought they were a real band." Harry Shearer claims this is a first: "I've met musicians who say they can't watch the film because it's too close to the real thing, but no one actually thought they were real."

Liam Gallagher IS that thick!

Did he direct Trainspotting? This question rings a very vague bell but like Hefe, I have the answer buried somewhere back in the deep recess of my mind.

I know I read once about a band taking their name from a Bowie song. But that's all I can recall. Damn it.

No, he did not direct Trainspotting. That's Danny Boyle.

its obviously Simple Minds but i dont recall them being in the lyrics

Yes it's Simple Minds. They said they took their name from the song line below. Beat's me if it's true but that's what they claimed. And the director who put them up on the public stage was John Hughes when he used their song "Don't You (forget about me)" as the title opening/closing for his movie "The Breakfast Club". 

"He's so simple minded he can't drive his module 

He bites on the neon and sleeps in the capsule 

Loves to be loved, loves to be loved..."

? ( though I would not have thought she was heavy metal?) 

When you been in Metalhammer Mag you have arrived.She is their poster Girl... Its Gothic Rock then ..some say that ADDC are not metal either but heavy Rock.. 

(Goth Rock,like Lacuna Coil who i see last week,, fucking awsesome my ears were ringng ... Rock Chicks rule )

No ..England  is wrong im afraid