Band Names

SiamSam

I think it was Hendrix. wasnt that when he smashed his Guitar up during Star Spangled Banner..or maybe that was another gig

I think you're right TC. I read somewhere that Hendrix always liked to be the last act so perhaps he was at Woodstock also.

I also read that the promoters try to book ROY ROGERS to be the last act at Woodstock to sing "Happy Trails" but he said no. That would have been a hoot after the likes of Hendrix. I wonder how the crowd would have reacted to Roy coming on stage singing his signature song. Most of the people there grew up watching Roy, Dale, Trigger, and I forget the dogs name. Was it Bullet? There was also his side kick Jingles. Great memories. 

John Lennon was a big fan of Buddy Holly & the Crickets. Hence for his band he came up with the name "Beatles" (beetles). 

The Beatles, as I recall, started off as The Quarrymen. They had some other names in between, but were The Silver Beatles before just shortening the name to The Beatles. 

Can you name the original drummer? Also they had another guitar player, who died of a brain tumor or some such before they became famous too. 

Death Cab for cutie was the other band in Magical Mystery Tour willie.

Bogarting was sucking as much smoke as one possibly could for as long as possible on your smoke of choice, the way Bogie smoked his cigs.

(BTW that song wasn't by the Holy Modal Rounders but the Fraternity of Man, but I didn't catch that until I went to post the video willie! :blush:  I don't think I could remember the FOM at this point either)

The Holy Modal Rounders used a word on one of their first albums that:

1- was the first time the word was ever mentioned or sung on a recording

2 - that word later came to describe a genre of rock; ( this is pretty obscure I know so... ) hint:  this genre has resurfaced in recent years with some rock bands

If that is too obscure who was a drummer for the Holy Modal Rounders who has had a successful career as a playwright & film actor?

That may have contributed to his dying of lung cancer at a relatively young age.  Fucking cancer sticks anyway. 

Yes. Both Neil Young and Joni (Anderson) Mitchell had polio.

My dad had infantile paralysis aka childhood polio. His hip joints had a dull ache for years after that, yet in high school, he and his brother could both outrun the milers on the track team. Being farm kids they did not have time to go out for sports though. When he was in the Philippines during WW2, walking for miles in that extreme heat and humidity, he noticed the dull ache was just gone one day. Never to return. 

• Upvote 1

None of ya'll cocksuckers in 40 pages named the group I consider the best ever. Easily my favorite anyway. 

Born and raised in the SF Bay area, but whose sound was considered Southern Rock.  Their original name was The Blue Velvets. 2 of them were born a day apart, and a 3rd one born just over a month later, and those 3 met in Junior High school. Another member was 3.5 yrs older than those 3. 

None of ya'll cocksuckers in 40 pages named the group I consider the best ever. Easily my favorite anyway. 

Born and raised in the SF Bay area, but whose sound was considered Southern Rock.  Their original name was The Blue Velvets. 2 of them were born a day apart, and a 3rd one born just over a month later, and those 3 met in Junior High school. Another member was 3.5 yrs older than those 3. 

Would this be Creedence? 

• Upvote 1

What prolific songwriter penned "A Natural Woman" for Aretha Franklin; "I'm into Something Good" (Herman's Hermits); "Take Good Care of My Baby" for Bobby Vee; "Up on the Roof for the Drifters"; "Pleasant Valley Sunday" for the Monkees and many many others?

This would be Carol King (aka Carol Klein) and her then husband, Gerry Goffin. 

I noticed that the documentary about the Eagles is on Netflix now. It's pretty good for anyone who is interested in them, what makes it interesting is that they don't gloss over all the fighting & allow the former members to speak their side. You also get a more of glimpse of the business end of things, I guess their manager is famous for being a real asshole & good businessman. Plus you get to see what a huge asshole Glenn Frey is. All in all pretty entertaining for that genre.