Band Names

SiamSam

Peter Gabriel was one of the original members. They nearly called the band, "Gabriel's Angels" believe it or not. I think it was there promoter/manager that suggested Genesis because he thought it was cool thinking the name would suggest something new, reborn, fresh beginning, yada, yada.

i was going to say "Gabriel" or "Archangel" but changed my mind...one should always go with the gut instinct" 

I could kick myself as i been thinking about this  :mad0235:

By the way i love Genesis ..my Uncle used to work for the Record label in the 70s and gave me Foxtrot. 

One of the best bands ever in my reckoning.. i prefer before they became three

By the way i love Genesis ..m

Probably one of the worst bands ever , imo. I attended a Peter Gabriel concert once and was bored to tears. Sting is a comedian compared to Collins, Gabriel, Mike and the mechanics.

We forgot to mention  Saint Gabriel together with Bono, Sting and Bob Geldof. Self-serving hypocrites. 

• Upvote 2

Probably one of the worst bands ever , imo. I attended a Peter Gabriel concert once and was bored to tears. Sting is a comedian compared to Collins, Gabriel, Mike and the mechanics.

We forgot to mention  Saint Gabriel together with Bono, Sting and Bob Geldof. Self-serving hypocrites. 

Gabriel wasnt with them in there best years when Phil,Collins took the vocals, the prog years... " Wind and Wuthering "  must be one of the  best Prog records ever 

I dont think Gabriel is in the same self admiration league as Bono somehow..in the Documentary recently Gabriel came over as sort of  humble to be honest

I must admit some Rock Stars do have this trait of grand self importance...stick to the music you arseholes 

Who was Bath House Betty?

I think it  was Bett Midler , i remember seeing her on TV a long time back and maybe she was on the game or something like that in a previous life. Maybe it was a fillm role about a House of ill repute that she got the name from.

The Piano guy, maybe it was some black dude... that covers that one :biggrin:

Bette Midler is correct.

She would perform at the Continental Baths in the basement of the Ansonia, a grand old building on the Upper West Side.

After Continental closed, the space became Plato's Retreat, a swingers club.

Anybody been there?

Never been to the original location but went to Plato's after it relocated to 34th Street.  :behind:

The Continental Baths in the basement of the Ansonia Hotel were a gay bath house from what I read. 

And many artists performed there, some for the first time. Bette was one & she had a piano player backing her.

Who was he?

Since Billy Joel is from Long Island, I'll go with him.

About 12 - 15  years ago I took a taxi in NYC & started talking with the driver, turned out he had been the owner of Plato's Retreat & had obviously fallen on lean times, can't remember his name off the top of my head, Larry something..... He checked out when I googled him later. I wasn't around when Plato's was open.

The piano player for Bette is Barry Manilow.

Terrifically talented guy, tho not my cuppa... wrote "You deserve a break today" for McD's & "Like a good neighbor..." for insurance co. as well as other ads + all his (and other folks) hits. Another brush w fame: passed him in the theater district one day, skinny as a Biafran, lots of work done on the face & his hair was permed & frosted to a fault... he looks like your old Aunt Tillie on a night out. A definite gay vibe, which jibes with the early bath house gigs.

• Upvote 1

John, Paul, George & Ringo... we all know them. But who were the other 2 Beatles in the band?

Pete Best was one ..maybe Ringo replaced him (Ringos real name was Richard Starkey)

And as a wild guess i think George Martin may have played but was crap and made way for Harrison

Pete Best - yes!  

Ringo was a veteran drummer with the most popular band in Liverpool that toured extensively & considered the best drummer in town. Pete... not so much, & he didn't like the "Beatle haircut".

George Martin, a good guess: he was their producer & informal "5th Beatle", also played piano solo on "In My Life", but he wasn't an actual Beatle band member, neither was Billy Preston who played keyboards at the end for them.

Trivia Hint: This other band member was responsible for the "Beatle haircut"!

Pete Best - yes!  

Ringo was a veteran drummer with the most popular band in Liverpool that toured extensively & considered the best drummer in town. Pete... not so much, & he didn't like the "Beatle haircut".

George Martin, a good guess: he was their producer & informal "5th Beatle", also played piano solo on "In My Life", but he wasn't an actual Beatle band member, neither was Billy Preston who played keyboards at the end for them.

Trivia Hint: This other band member was responsible for the "Beatle haircut"!

stuart sutcliffe.......

btw...it was ringo starr who played frank  zappa in the zappa movie "200 motels".......his finest ever acting role....not.

...his finest ever acting role....not.

Yeah, musicians should stick to music.

Countless of Spinaltap-performances by selfimportant multi-artists. I wonder how they came up with the idea? Who told them they can act? "I'm so talented music  isn't enough for my talent , so i'll take up acting too".

Mick Jagger -Running out of luck. Oh dear what a crap movie.

Bob- Hearts of fire. Ditto. Pat Garret and Billy the kid  has an exception in Kris Kristofferson. Hes excellent  in very good movie Lone Star starring great Chris Cooper and late Elizabeth Pêna.

Phil Collins- Buster.

Bowie-Labyrinth.

List goes on, feel free to add yours.

stuart sutcliffe.......

That's it.  His girlfriend gave him the "beatle" haircut & the other 'lads" liked it & asked her to cut their hair the same way. He fell in love with her & stayed in Hamburg with her & then there were 4. A few months later he died, iirc it was an aneurysm or something like that. 

Yeah, musicians should stick to music.

List goes on, feel free to add yours.

Y'know... Sinatra was pretty good!  But Elvis?   Yikes!

Cher was another one who was excellent, who would've guessed? But Willie Nelson not so good.

There was a movie where Paul Simon played someone like himself, "Hearts & Bones" I believe is the name of the soundtrack, Lou Reed played a producer in it, not a great film either.

Art Garfunkel in "Carnal Knowledge" with Ann Margaret, Jack Nicholson, and Candice Bergen.  

Bob Dylan was also in "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" with Kris Kristofferson.

And then there was Bing Crosby; Dolly Parton; Dean Martin; Courtney Love; Jennifer Hudson; Justin Timberlake; Barbara Streisand; Mark Wahlberg; and Will Smith. 

Then there are actors who went in the opposite direction like Billy Bob Thornton; Russell Crowe; Jamie Foxx; Steve Martin; Jennifer Lopez; Jeff Bridges; Keanu Reeves; Scarlett Johansson; Kevin Bacon; Eddie Murphy and even Kevin Costner.