Napa Valley California 6.0 Earthquake

pdogg

California Governor Declares State of Emergency in Napa Earthquake

Gov. Jerry Brown of Caifornia declared a state of emergency for southern Napa on Sunday after a strong earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.0 hit the region, causing scores of injuries and extensive damage and knocking out power to thousands of people across the region. The temblor struck about 10 miles northwest of American Canyon — six miles south of Napa — around 3:20 a.m., according to the United States Geological Survey. It was the most powerful earthquake to hit the Bay Area since the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989, which collapsed the Bay Bridge. At least four aftershocks were reported Sunday.

The 6.0 magnitude earthquake that rocked Napa County early this morning was the strongest the San Francisco Bay Area has felt since the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989. And despite some reported injuries and property damage, it looks as if a disproportionate number of victims were the premium wines for which the region is famous.

post-45-0-30276900-1408901889_thumb.jpg

An ex-girlfriend of mine lived on the 64th floor of Tokyo Towers in Tokyo when the an earth quake hit a few years ago. She was in her living room looking out at the Tokyo skyline and her building swayed to the left and right back and forth several degrees. She was so freaked she sold the condo within 3 months and moved to Shanghai. She still goes white when asked about the experience. Her Shanghai condo is on the 3rd floor. She's reluctant to go higher.

I actually felt one in Brooklyn!  

The fall of 2001:   9/11 -  a passenger jet crash in Queens - my office building emptied by NYPD &  swarming with FBI because of a envelope containing white powder with an anthrax threat & an earthquake all within a couple of months... no wonder I thought the world was ending!

Apparently the faultline goes through the UES - East River - Brooklyn where i felt it just a block from the river. 125 St is actually a faultline that was mistaken for a valley, subways run right through it. Great disaster movie potential. 

Recognized it because I used to live out west for a while & experienced a few minor ones.

I grew up in the SF Bay Area and lived in NorCal and the Bay for most of my life...Felt lots of little ones but not one like this...When the 1989 quake hit I was in Sacramento...100 miles north...didn't feel much.......

My Grandma and Grandpa were both San Francisco natives and both experienced the 1906 earthquake...She had burn scars on her arms...neither ever talked about it though...I only knew cause my mom told me...