Calling all aging UK Soulboys & Funcksters

Luung

• 1 month later...

Nice darts Brother Jim!!! As ever, a brilliant choice mate. :good:

Sorry I've neglected this thread lately (& the forum generally too), but I've been completely sturated with work... At any rate, this is what I've been listening to lately & as a nice counter to the mowtown type sound here's a couple of tracks.

First up, admittedly blues, but it still falling within our remit... Here he is, the great Freddie King with 'Going Down'.... Man, this is good!!

And for a funky walk down memory lane here's Archie Bell & the Drells, 'Tighten up' YOAAAAAAAAAAAAAW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIdug40ZM-M

I had a load more but I can't soddin' well find them on youtube... Is there any other way to share tracks?

:hi:

Nice to hear Moses Smith, his style reminds me a lot of Raphael Saadiq's stuff. But to make it a bit perverse I found this "unplugged" performance that forgoes the band for busking...

.... & Freddie King, probably Clapton's biggest influence? Amazing what that must of sounded like when it was first released, stunning really.

Another old school great ahead of his time was Albert Collins, "The Iceman". To stay close to the topic he funks it up here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHuZ9L8KqpI

Got a copy of this a while back , been filling the dance floors since

Sheer class !!

Been filling dance floors since the mid 70's Jim...'When the Fuel Runs Out' by 'Executive Suite' was a really big hit on the dance floors around my way from when I was a kid up until my early twenties & I probably haven't heard it for all of thirty or so years now, a great walk down memory lane... Another brilliant choice mate!

@Hefe, I pretty certain that Eric Clapton did actually quote Feddie King has his greatest influence.

Nice to see you posting again Katana & thanks to KoyKaeng for joining us too! BTW, I'm pretty sure that 'Tainted Love' was posted before, but it's well worth listening to again, superb track mate!

Right, on with the show, a little commercial maybe? but I've always liked this & it always puts a smile on my face, here's 'The Spinners' with 'Games People Play'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTXo6KGTJc

Here's another commercial one, 'Tavares' & 'It only takes a Minute Girl'... Shame this YouTubed version has had the funk knocked out of it, but I think that can be said of practically any funky tracks anyone's posted, I suppose you need to have a music system or at least be able to pump the bass up to do these sort of tracks any justice. Anyway, it's better than a kick in the spuds, I suppose?

Just one more, I love this bloke, commercial as fuck again, I know, but this is such a cool version... Here he is... The late, great, Ottis Redding with Try a Little Tenderness... I still can't forgive that fat Irish prick in the Commitments for totally destroying this track, but anyway he's not famous anymore, but Ottis still is!

This is the last one now, back into obscurity with a track for Jim 'Seven Days is too Long', Chuck Woods... This was the original 'Move over Rover' track.

Fuck it, I ain't finished yet! This is for Pad Thai Boy who should stop lurking & post, here's 'Bell' by 'Al Green'... He'll probably use a load of bad language on me for posting this.

Keep em' coming lads! :)

• Upvote 1

I've been after this for years and finally got a fix from my dealer !!!

Lets just say it cost as much as a couple of days with a Pattaya ladyboy but the pleasure will last a lot longer 8)

Nice Chuck Woods Lung always a classic floorfiller !!

• Upvote 2

''Fuck it, I ain't finished yet! This is for Pad Thai Boy who should stop lurking & post, here's 'Bell' by 'Al Green'... He'll probably use a load of bad language on me for posting this.''

Lurking.....some of us have been doing research into which bar will be the first casulty of this low season in Patts....(Several were empty on many nights.)

You cheeky git Lung .......... How dare you take the piss out of me & my missus.... (LOL)

We had a wonderful honeymoon in Pattaya.....just a shame you didnt turn up to be to be best man as promised.....I had to grab Bells LB friend to do the honours of best man !!!!

Seriously though.......great to see this thread taking off again....well over due.

I'll get my thinking cap on.

• 4 weeks later...

I managed to get a copy of this recently , something I've sought after for a long long time ....

As close to perfection as 70's soul can get , smooth vocal , great lyrics and an infectious tune .

It felt like Xmas morning when the post man dropped it through the letter box I had to play it ten times in a row .

This will be getting a turn on the turntable next soul night in a few weeks for sure 8)

• Upvote 1