North Korea's Gulag

JaiDee

http://www.businessinsider.com/life-in-north-korea-prison-camp-horror-kim-jong-un-2013-3#

''Shin Dong-hyuk was born inside one camp, and lived there 23 years before he was able to escape.''

If you want to read more about the camp this young man was born and raised in for 23 years, I would HIGHLY recommend the book ''Escape from Camp 14''. Absolutely brutal living conditions, very similar to the way the Jewish were treated in German-run concentration camps in  WW2.

Also recommended;  "Nothing to Envy" by LA Times reporter Barbara Demick. 

I can't get my hands on this kind of stuff fast enough; ANY news we get coming from that weird little Hermit Kingdom needs to be devoured and shared by anyone who cares for basic human rights.

http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-Envy-Ordinary-Lives-North/dp/0385523912

great article, Strocube!  read it yesterday.....do you go to Reddit.com?

Besides The American gulag is the inordinate amount of small-time criminals we have in our prisons; drug-possession guys mostly, and a higher percentage of them being black. US prisons are for-profit operations, so it behooves judges and prosecutors to fill the prisons and fill the pockets of their sponsors,  IE the private companies who built those prisons and pay for them to stay up; they WANT full prisons, of course, and the system is more than happy to give them just that.

But the Korean gulag; holy shit.......it's bad enough living in that country as a regular citizen, could you imagine how bad their prisons are?

• 2 weeks later...

The Odd Couple    =@  :sign0181:

North Korea's increasing hostility toward the rest of the world doesn't seem to faze dictator Kim Jong Un's newest best friend Dennis Rodman, who reiterated his plans to return to the communist nation in August.

The former U.S. basketball star said at a charity event in Miami Beach over the weekend that he's keeping plans to visit North Korea again in late summer to have "fun" with the country's dictator, the website "Gossip Extra" reported.

"I’m going back August 1," he told the website. "We have no plans really, as far as what we’re going to do over there, but we’ll just hang and have some fun!"

Rodman raised eyebrows when he became the first American to meet the reclusive young leader in a visit to Pyongyang in February. 
Weeks after the controversial visit, Rodman, 51, described Kim as a friend.

"I don't condone what he does, but he's my friend," Rodman said in a March interview with North Dakota's KXJB. Rodman continued to say he will be "vacationing" with Kim in August.