Bangkok Nightlife Beyond Pay For Play

DownLoLarry

I would go splurge for a drink at the bar on the top of State Tower, then eat dinner at a street place in the area, or one of about 5 places I know in the area that are good where Thai people actually eat.  Then I would jump in a cab and take them to Tawan Daeng  Isaan in Pratanakarn Rd.  Or an alternative is the open air bar above Zen in Central World.

I would avoid anything anywhere near Sukhumvit after dark.

Good call on the State Tower. That spectacular view is the highlight of many a visit to Bangkok. The Sirocco Bar is not cheap but if they are on holiday, it's a one night extravagance. You can also dine there but my suggestion is the Somboon Seafood Restaurant. There are several of them in Bangkok but this one is about 10 to 15 minutes away by taxi depending on traffic.

It's off Silom Road & is on about 3 levels, is always busy, has wonderful food all served in a bright modern setting. If they like seafood, this is the best place I know. Dishes can be ordered Thai style or not depending on their preference. Some of the best fusion cuisine I have had anywhere I have had at the Somboon. 

I would go there first & then go to Sirocco. A couple of drinks there might be enough but Patpong is only 10 minutes or so up Silom Road. I am not a fan of Patpong but it is something tourists expect to see. Unless they are very conservative.

Bar. Top of Banyan Tree. Highest bar in Asia. Open Air. Plays with ones Vertigo. It also has a chilled Japanese restaurant a few floors down. Left my camera in the back of a cab when getting out.  :mad0235: . They did their very best to repatriate me with it through security. Sadly I had hailed a cab from the street going there. I tipped the driver too. Made no difference. Great view.

Have to agree with the State Tower visit - took my gf and her friends for dinner there. Spectacular and the food was excellent - although it was the most expensive restaurant bill I've had, I would say it was worth it. Couldn't do it on a regular basis though!

I would also suggest a night cruise along the Chao Phraya River - either a dinner cruise on one of the river cruisers, or on one of the rice barges.

Also would recommend Calypso Cabaret - now at the Riverfront. They have a unique show very different from the usual Tiffany/Alcazar cabaret show.

MBK - Accessories for any mobile device. Even non geeks are awed.

For female travelers, The Jim Thompson Outlet store (Sukhemvit 103)

Chatuchaak weekend market (JJ)

4pm River City http://www.rivercity.co.th/th/ 

Then drinks at Sheraton watching the sunset

afterwards dinner cruise (cheesy, chaotic, "eh" food but the views are still great)

Night time, Ratchada soi 6 , dinner on Huay Kwang and then wander around the night market

State Tower is a short walk to Patpong, right?

At 8PM, is the Skytrain a better option than taxi for getting from close to Ratchthewi BTS to Patpong?

Any cool bars or restaurants near Ratchthewi station?

Googled this about State Tower

Cocktail menu is very simple and you pay 510 baht just for Mojito plus service charge and government taxes

Is there a 49 baht draft beer option?   8P

It's too far to walk from State Tower to Patpong. When there's no traffic on Silom it doesn't take long for a taxi to drive there but then I remember they are driving fast. I take a motorbike & they usually hit 100kmh.

You could walk it but I reckon it would take about 45 minutes. It takes about 30 minutes to walk from the Narai Hotel to the State Tower & it's much further than that.

Drinks aren't cheap but if you don't go, you'll never have the experience. 

So then where's a place to eat and drink near Patpong?

The Somboon I mentioned is sorta half way between Patpong & State Tower. Head up Silom & it's a busy cross street to the left. A couple of blocks down, it's on a corner. That street is a major road running parallel to Silom. 

Does that make sense? Without traffic it's only 5 minutes or so from State Tower. And the taxi drivers should know it. You can pronounce Somboon the way the Thais say it so it shouldn't be a problem.

If you want to eat near State Tower, there is a street restaurant operating with a full printed menu just outside State Tower. After exiting State Tower, look straight ahead to the intersection in front of you. The tables are set up on the opposite side of the intersection from State Tower. When you get there, it will make perfect sense. It operates from about 7ish, I think.

Another good alternative is Lek Seafood, which is underneath the BTS stop Chong Nosi, Exit 4. Specifics are here: http://www.bangkok.com/restaurant-reviews/neptune-s-feast.htm

If you're going to Sky Bar State Tower, there is a dress code and it IS enforced. No shorts, no flip flops, no birkenstocks. And also, men must wear full covered shoes.

http://www.lebua.com/mezzaluna/pages/dress-code

If you're in Bangkok tonight, I'll be at Tawandang Brew House, Rama III around 11:00pm.