FIRST TIMER MOVING TO BANGKOK ALL ADVICE WELCOME :)

wileycat

Heyy everyone! So I just finished university and thought I'd look for work in Bangkok! Im mainly looking for English teaching jobs but will take anything I can get really. I've never been to Thailand before so I know some people will probably see this as a pretty hasty decision because most jobs are going to require atleast a one year commitment... Having said that, Im no stranger to travelling and foreign cultures etc And I know lots of people whove been and heard nothing but positive reports so I honestly think I'll absolutely love it there! Annnnd there is also the fact that I am a huuuge fan of ladyboys. I've had relationships with transgender girls here in the uk so its not like this is a fleeting sexual fantasy. But basically I want to know if theres anything I really need to be aware of before I go out there and try to start a relationship. I know there are a lot of ladyboys offering sex for money which isnt what im interested in to be honest. Im looking for a girlfriend! So Im just asking all the seasoned veterans out there if they have any general advice for me? One thing im curious about is how are ladyboy relationships received by the general population in Thailand? Is there any prejudice? Where are good places to meet ladyboys?

I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer so please feel free to chip in :)

• Upvote 2

I'm no "seasoned veteran" but I feel qualified to throw a couple of comments your way.

First off, welcome to LBR. Glad you found your way here.

Next, I hope you have enough savings to withstand your adventure becoming nothing more than a vacation, with a trip back home to the UK already saved for. I hope you have luck, but EVERYONE wants a teaching job in LOS, and the better positions are extremely hard to get. If I had a 1000 baht note for every guy I've seen on the forums hoping to get a teaching job in LOS, I'd be able to retire there tomorrow.

Second, and most importantly - if you insist on trying to make a go of a relationship with a LB do NOT even contemplate anyone involved - no matter how remotely - in the bar scene. There are plenty of LB's that work in drugstores, clothing stores, shopping malls, etc. The chances of getting taken for a ride, especially as a complete newbie to thailand and thai culture, is still exceedingly high. But you would increase your chances of being hurt, used, and generally fu**ed over by a factor of 100 if you try to pull a girl that has any involvement in the bars. Even "I not work bar - I just visit first time ever to see friend who work bar". 

Third, I'd say go over, have fun, and get to learn about thai culture, income opportunities, and whores. Use them as they are meant to be from the clubs - as teenage transexual hookers. But do not even consider trying to build a relationship until you've lived there a couple of years. By that time, you will have learned some of the things needed to be able to protect yourself and your heart. Plus, have you ever heard a guy say "I'm going to move to xxxxx (Germany, Italy, Japan, Zambizi, etc.) to find a girlfriend"???? No, you haven't. Because it reeks of insanity and desperation. The thai girls will immediately recognize the scent and take you for one heck of a ride. Sane, well-adjusted adults don't move to a different country in order to have a relationship. But if you insist - see my second comment above.

Hope you don't find my comments discouraging or overly harsh; they aren't meant to be anything other than the truth. 

Best of luck to you.

Well thanks for your input I really appreciate it and yeah im fully prepared for the fact that its more likely than not that I will end up coming home jobless after a month or two! I am trying to sort a job out before I go but that obviously has its own risks and for all the jobs I find there is always a forum somewhere where someone has posted about a bad experience with the company offering the job

I just want to clarify that I'm not going over there to specifically find a girlfriend haha... I just meant that im not going over there to just bang hookers! And yeah im definitely going to spend time finding my feet over there before I even contemplate starting a relationship.

You're in luck! I've lived in BKK for almost 10 years and am involved in the teaching scene. I don't know if this is against forum rules or not, but one forum to find excellent information on teaching in Thailand is http://www.thailandteaching.asia/forum/ It's a forum run by and for teachers. It's heavily moderated, so mentions of ladyboys and ladyboy forums will probably be removed LOL Any other questions, feel free to ask me. Just off the top of my head:

1. Keep an offshore account with at least USD$1,000 in it for emergencies.

2. Do not sell your return ticket

3. You will not make big money. This is, after all, the third world.

4. If it seems too good to be true, it is.

• Upvote 2

But basically I want to know if theres anything I really need to be aware of before I go out there and try to start a relationship. I know there are a lot of ladyboys offering sex for money which isnt what im interested in to be honest. Im looking for a girlfriend! So Im just asking all the seasoned veterans out there if they have any general advice for me? One thing im curious about is how are ladyboy relationships received by the general population in Thailand? Is there any prejudice? Where are good places to meet ladyboys?

Welcome aboard Wiley!   :biggrin:

It's much easier to get in a relationship with a ladyboy than out of a relationship!  As a young guy right out of uni it's easy.   Just smile and chat them up.  Thai guys are not exactly lined up around the block to be in relationships with ladyboys.

You may never notice prejeduce among the general population, though there is to some degree.

Cosmetic counters are a good place to meet ladyboys.

Y'all are welcome. I don't mean to rain on the OP's parade, but here are some recommendations for people considering a move to Thailand:

Thailand Teaching Asia (my forum) - for those who are looking to move to Thailand to live and work legally in Thailand. This is a site I started and administer. The moderating team are all professional teachers or teacher trainers. We also have great information on Thailand visas.

Teakdoor - an excellent site for those wishing to live in Thailand. Great sections on housing, travel, and visa information. It can get a little rough there.

Ajarn Forum - IMO, it used to be good but has now degenerated into a place where the dregs of the world congregate. Most of their information is rather outdated. It is, however, still the most popular of the ex-pat sites and their sister site (www.ajarn.com) has an excellent jobs board.

Thai Visa still has excellent legal information.

And for those who have questions, I will be more than happy to help.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the extra info Wangsuda.  Well done on starting up your own site.  I spoke to some teachers a while back, that I used to work with in Bkk, and they informed me that many people in the education scene had lost faith with Ajarn.  Seems your site is  a response to a need for something new, fresh and positive. :hi:   A bit like our forum here in a way. :biggrin: