New Years resolutions

JaiDee

Eat 1 egg per hour for every hour you awake.

16 to 17 eggs per day... :blink:

I am of the opinion that very notion of being on a diet dooms you to failure because of what happens once you stop. And I can't imagine how anyone can keep this diet up for long. I agree that it would get boring, i'm also quite sure that your cardiologist would have something to say about eating all those eggs.

And he would probably faint if he knew about all that coconut oil, virgin organic or otherwise. Our consumer health body here in Australia all but called for coconut oil to be banned, so rich it is in saturated fat. While they backed down from a complete ban, they did suggest only eating it once a week as maximum. It is very fattening.

16 to 17 eggs per day... :blink:

I am of the opinion that very notion of being on a diet dooms you to failure because of what happens once you stop. And I can't imagine how anyone can keep this diet up for long. I agree that it would get boring, i'm also quite sure that your cardiologist would have something to say about eating all those eggs.

And he would probably faint if he knew about all that coconut oil, virgin organic or otherwise. Our consumer health body here in Australia all but called for coconut oil to be banned, so rich it is in saturated fat. While they backed down from a complete ban, they did suggest only eating it once a week as maximum. It is very fattening.

Eggs are about 70 calories each. If you eat 16, that comes to 1120. one avocado is 240 calories. so maybe better to eat just one a day. One medium tomato has 22 calories. They are a negative calorie food in that it takes more calories to digest them than are in them. They contain the antioxidant lycopene, which is one of the most powerful known antioxidants.

This diet would be a low calorie diet for anyone of average size or greater. No carbs to speak of which forces your body to burn dietary fat and then stored body fat as fuel.

Coconut oil is made out to be the boogie man by some, but when you study it independently you will find a lot of crap that is spouted about coconut oil is nonsense.

In the USA, before WW2, people used coconut oil imported from Asia as a primary cooking oil. The war halted imports of it for a few years, forcing people to switch to corn or soybean oil. The corn industry wanted to maintain this foothold the got into the cooking oil industry after the war, so were behind the lies being spread about coconut oil If there is any one oil you want to avoid at all costs it is corn oil, Avoid it like it were the plague. The next ones to avoid are canola and soybean because of the use in their manufacture of GMO crops. Corn is just plain bad. Corn in any form is the most common food allergen on planet Earth.

As for eggs and cholesterol. That is rubbish IMO. I eat eggs whenever I want and as much as I feel like. I have never had high cholesterol. I know people who's doctor told them to completely stop eating eggs and eat oatmeal for breakfast. Even after months of doing this they still have high cholesterol. If you buy high quality eggs, they are rich in omega 3 oils, Vit E, Vit D, and other valuable nutrients. Eggs quality are totally determined by what the chickens eat. If they eat typical chicken feed and kept penned up their eggs won't be as nutrient dense. If the chickens roam around eating bugs and grass, etc, their eggs will much more nutrient dense.

The very best wishes for your successful tattooing and wooing and most especially with your health Tomas...

I gave up the nasty cigs earlier this year...now I'm just fighting the ever increasing waist line...But I don't think I am truly up for any resolutions this year...Think I'll just play them as they are dealt...Ante up Boys...

The wooing has been completed as of today and I found out today that I will be having my endoscopy done on the 28th, and I have an appointment with a personal trainer on Monday.

I love it when a plan comes together :biggrin:  

I think Paccers is on to something, and Hefe nailed it with the article. It's simple physics. Calories (energy) in must =/< Calories (energy) out or there will be no weight loss.

I'm pretty sensitive to carbs, in that they can be almost sort of addictive. When I start munching on high-carb items - like chips or potatoes or bread - I can easily eat way more calories than I intend to, or would through more healthful snacks. But if I cut out all carbs and still eat a shitload of fruit and lean meat - enough to increase my calorie intake above my caloric expenditure - I'm gonna gain weight.

I gained nearly 25 pounds since my last LOS trip. I'm at about 230, the heaviest I've ever been. I'm still going, but I'm already working on eating less and exercising more. Hopefully by this time next year I'll be back in good fucking shape.

I think Paccers is on to something, and Hefe nailed it with the article. It's simple physics. Calories (energy) in must =/< Calories (energy) out or there will be no weight loss.

I'm pretty sensitive to carbs, in that they can be almost sort of addictive. When I start munching on high-carb items - like chips or potatoes or bread - I can easily eat way more calories than I intend to, or would through more healthful snacks. But if I cut out all carbs and still eat a shitload of fruit and lean meat - enough to increase my calorie intake above my caloric expenditure - I'm gonna gain weight.

I gained nearly 25 pounds since my last LOS trip. I'm at about 230, the heaviest I've ever been. I'm still going, but I'm already working on eating less and exercising more. Hopefully by this time next year I'll be back in good fucking shape.

The problem with predominately carb foods is they digest faster, so we get the feeling of being hungry again sooner and eating again sooner. For example, for breakfast try eating 3 eggs and 3 pieces of bacon, and see how long before you are hungry again. If you eat it at 6am, you should be able to til at least 2pm before feeling very hungry. Then try eating a big bowl of oatmeal only at 6am. You will be hungry again by 10am.

I do not totally agree that it is necessarily as simple as an any calories in vs calories out thing. When it comes to losing weight, dietary fat is not the boogie man it is made out to be.

Another thing many people are lax on is drinking enough plain water. No matter how much of overage beverages we drink, we all need at least 64 ounces of plain water a day. I've read of people doing nothing else different than increasing their water intake to 64 ounces a day, eating same, exercise the same, and losing 30 lbs in a year.

No more soda, I hardly ever drink beer or alcohol, no more processed foods.....fruits and vegetables and lean meats in smaller portions....back to the gym, skipping all desserts and ice cream, etc...... giving myself a year, so by next December I will hopefully feel good enough to return to the Islands for a few months.

No more soda is the smartest move any of us could make. From my studies, I've come to the realization that the absolutely unhealthiest common food or beverage that one can ingest is carbonated liquid. The human body is not designed to digest them, so it is really a strain on the digestive system.

I am same on alcohol when I am here. When I was in LOS or PI, I'd drink at least 3-4 nights a week. Booze is especially cheap in PI. Beer by the case can be delivered to your door for the equivalent of 11 cents a bottle. Vodka is about $2 dollar for a 5th. Tequila slightly more. Rum is about a dollar for a pint.

Since I have been back in the US of A, I have drank exactly 2 bottles of beer, and that has been the extent of my alcohol consumption. Not making a conscious effort to avoid it. Just hasn't been any social occasions that led me to want to imbibe.

Brilliant! :happy0064:

Take a bow Mr Cox. After my suggestion, I had a crack at it myself & I found it very hard to tie it all into one neat limerick. Unless you've tried it, you have no idea how difficult these things can be. Dixon makes 'em look easy, trust me, the guy's clever. Well not that clever, I think he just called me a wanker... :sad0116:

Oh c'mon DC, you'll be over it soon. As the forum's Poet Laureate, I have another 5 for you to write... :party0049:

I'm sure that most of us know it

But Dixon's the resident poet

On all subjects he rhymes

Most any old time

With the masses he does like to share it.

As for eggs and cholesterol. That is rubbish IMO. I eat eggs whenever I want and as much as I feel like. 

I read your post most carefully. And I bought a dozen eggs, good ones, they are the best of the free range available here & cost nearly 4 times the price of the cheapest cage reared eggs. 

I haven't embraced one egg an hour but on the nights when I don't eat fish, I make myself an omelette. I am trying not to eat meat late in the day but I was casting around for something light & nutritious for my evening meal. And it seems to be working. I am down two kilos from last week without feeling hungry.

I am about to take a step backwards because I am off out soon for curry & rice & wine with an old friend. And we'll start with a beer at a nearby bar. I allow myself these nights off lest I feel like I am denying myself as if I was on a strict diet. I am not on a "diet" as such, I am just eating less than I used to.

Same as my last year resolution, get my weight down to 250 lbs. Under 280 now which is an improvement from the 290 at the beginning of summer.

when we met last fall I was up around 270 or so, and now even more; too much laying around in the tropics the past few years. 

I gained nearly 25 pounds since my last LOS trip. I'm at about 230, the heaviest I've ever been. 

How's the resolution going fellas? I don't wish to be rude but you are all carrying more than is healthy. 

It's none of my business but in the spirit of cooperation, I am worried about the risk of stroke. I hope you are all on statins.

I can be so blunt because I know what it's like to be in the back of an ambulance being taken to hospital having suffered one myself. In my case it turned out to be a TIA (transient ischemic attack), it's a self correcting stroke, but it means I am on medication for the rest of my life. 

Given that the heaviest I have ever been in my life was 190, it isn't too much of a stretch to predict one out of the three of you (at least) is a possibility. And if you think I am trying to scare you unnecessarily, that's exactly what I am trying to do. You'll thank me one day.

• Upvote 1
How's the resolution going fellas? I don't wish to be rude but you are all carrying more than is healthy. 

It's none of my business but in the spirit of cooperation, I am worried about the risk of stroke. I hope you are all on statins.

I can be so blunt because I know what it's like to be in the back of an ambulance being taken to hospital having suffered one myself. In my case it turned out to be a TIA (transient ischemic attack), it's a self correcting stroke, but it means I am on medication for the rest of my life. 

Given that the heaviest I have ever been in my life was 190, it isn't too much of a stretch to predict one out of the three of you (at least) is a possibility. And if you think I am trying to scare you unnecessarily, that's exactly what I am trying to do. You'll thank me one day.

Quite true sir. I will say however that despite my weight, I have and have always had low b/p, low cholesterol, and obscenely low triglycerides. For some reason, and it isn't something that would be weight related anyway, my uric acid levels are low whenever I get my blood work done too.

I read your post most carefully. And I bought a dozen eggs, good ones, they are the best of the free range available here & cost nearly 4 times the price of the cheapest cage reared eggs. 

I haven't embraced one egg an hour but on the nights when I don't eat fish, I make myself an omelette. I am trying not to eat meat late in the day but I was casting around for something light & nutritious for my evening meal. And it seems to be working. I am down two kilos from last week without feeling hungry.

I am about to take a step backwards because I am off out soon for curry & rice & wine with an old friend. And we'll start with a beer at a nearby bar. I allow myself these nights off lest I feel like I am denying myself as if I was on a strict diet. I am not on a "diet" as such, I am just eating less than I used to.

Yes, the one egg every 60 minutes is not carved in stone. If you did even half that amount and averaged one every 2 hrs it would still be effective I think. As long as you are feeling full I think you are fine.

IMO, some rice, especially brown, sometimes isn't bad. If I were to say two common foods to avoid as much as possible if not completely, it would be corn and any form of wheat. There is even an expression I heard recently: wheat belly. Referring to someone having a pot belly being the result of primarily too much wheat in their diet.

Wheat and corn are so hard to avoid, but it can be done. Those eggs you found sound like the perfect ones to me. Such eggs are not that great a price difference here thankfully. The best eggs in our local store is a brand called Eggland's Best, for $3.39 a dozen for Grade A large. Our standard store brand is usually about $1.89 a dozen for same size. The high quality eggs like you bought, due to the diet the chickens are on, are likely pretty high in Vit B, D, and E, and also omega 3 oils. Still if I could take only one supplement, I would take Omega 3 from Calimari which are very high in DHA. 500 mg a capsule. Take 2 of them a day along with your diet, and you heart will be thanking you. If I could only take 2 supplements, the 2nd one would be CoQ10 in the largest dose I can afford. I found some here that are 600mg a capsule. Kind of large, but they still go down fine. CoQ10 dosage is largely dependent on body weight. Me being heavier than you, means I need more. If you could find one that is 300 mg at least, for your size that should be fine. I've read, that if you take only a small dose of it, that it's not very effective. The 3rd most needed supplement for we middle aged men is something to support your prostate. Beta Sitosterol is popular now. The old stand byes are saw palmetto, zinc and pumpkin seed oil.

Sometimes when I am hungry and in a hurry, if I have the Eggland's eggs on hand, I'll just break a couple into a glass and drink them raw. Not bad. Sort of like having a cold load of jizz sliding down your throat. ;)