You English guys may find this amusing

JaiDee

Amusing? Yeah, a little I guess. It makes great use of irony, something the English do best in the world.

What is really funny about the two fellas is that they are articulating their words in a way they would never do at home. Had they spoken as per usual, no one would understand a word they said. Unless you're English.

Interesting side note - I was pleasantly surprised at how 'English' is the style of humour employed by many of the girls we talk to. Not all of them of course but enough of them to make me realise it wasn't a fluke. And those girls instinctively incorporated irony in their repartee whenever they could. I am trying to think of some examples I have heard, they honestly blew me away with how clever they were.

What is really funny about the two fellas is that they are articulating their words in a way they would never do at home. Had they spoken as per usual, no one would understand a word they said. Unless you're English.

I think what was funny also is that it can be applied to almost anyone who follows their favorite team in whatever city they come from, for whatever sport. For us Yanks, especially with it being shown being during the football season [OUR football season], we can relate; it would be like a Ravens fan from Baltimore saying "man, my life would be shit had I been born in Washington, good thing I don't have to root for the Redskins!", even though they are only an hour apart and life would be marginally different as portrayed in the ad.

Very clever commercial, I'll be interested to see if it wins any awards.

I was a bit surprised to see the commerical on ESPN. And have only seen it once. FOX and ESPN seem to be trying to gain some traction for EU football in the states. Not unusual to see a Champions League fixture live in the early afternoon on Tuesday and Wednesday. Sadly I enjoy that more than the US pro league. And the local Colorado team won the championship three season ago.

It's a nice ad but nothing at all out of the ordinary for an Englishman, such as myself. The guys in the ad are not exaggerating anything at all, either in the way they speak or in the language, colloquialisms or slang they're using.

All everyday normal in certain parts of the UK and understood by almost everyone in Britain, certainly British born.

For us it's no biggie at all, but knowing how much the Americans love an English accent I can fully understand it's entertainment value. I love regional accents myself too, even those from within the UK. Scouse, brummie and geordie are my favourites.

I can mimic many regional accents but not geordie, it is very difficult for those not born in and/or bread near Newcastle.

I don't suppose that there is any chance of subtitles so that those of us from the Home Counties can understand what these chaps are saying.

at the end of the clip there is a link to an "explanation" of what they are talking about.

I learned a bit about British slang myself!

"I wouldn't have such a fit bird, now would I?

My name is Becka!"

• 4 weeks later...

Here is another good one being played during the NFL season.....more relevant than ever this week, as the guy sitting down [Tom Brady] will play against that huge guy [ Ray Lewis] on Sunday for the right to go to the super bowl.

This was made 5 or 6 months ago,  on Sunday they won't be quite as friendly to one another.

I do not understand 90% of what they or their girls said.  Which teams are they supposed to be fans of anyway?

"Blue" and "Red" are the teams.....so you could swap them out with your favorite teams, so basically ANY sports fan can relate to what these guys are saying,

If you can't understand what they are saying just fast forward to the end to see the "translation" version.  you haven't seen this ad on ESPN yet Lefty?

• Upvote 1
  "Blue" and "Red" are the teams.....so you could swap them out with your favorite teams, so basically ANY sports fan can relate to what these guys are saying,

If you can't understand what they are saying just fast forward to the end to see the "translation" version.  you haven't seen this ad on ESPN yet Lefty?

I've seen it but not a translated into normal American English version yet. 

I watched the link you supplied and got the words they translated.

When it is aired on ESPN though they do not show the translations that I have seen. 

Could the Blue and Red teams be Manchester City and Manchester United? Aren't those their colors?