Jump to content
pdogg

The Phillippines Natural Disaster Topic

Recommended Posts

 

MANILA--Millions are in the potential path of a powerful storm that could batter the central Philippines, an area that has yet to fully recover from past disasters.

 

Already with gusts clocked at 210 kilometers per hour, typhoon Hagupit—Filipino for lash—is expected to intensify before it makes landfall in the central Philippines on Saturday, according to the weather bureau, the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical Astronomical Services Administration, or Pagasa.

 

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said that if Hagupit continues on its projected track, an estimated 4.5 million people will be within a 65-kilometer radius of damaging winds.

 

Hagupit, locally known as Ruby, is expected to broadly follow the path of Haiyan, the supertyphoon that last year claimed more than 6,300 lives and cost the economy around $12 billion in damages. Hagupit isn’t expected to be as strong as Haiyan, which whipped over 300-kilometer-per-hour winds that stoked 6-meter high storm surges, but will still be capable of uprooting trees, blowing roofs off houses and whipping up storm surges.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/millions-at-risk-from-typhoon-hagupit-in-the-philippines-1417661964

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Belfast Telegraph and the Red Horse Battalion report on Typhoon Koppu

 

 

Slow-moving Typhoon Koppu has weakened after blowing ashore with fierce winds in the north-eastern Philippines, leaving at least two people dead, displacing 16,000 villagers and knocking out power in entire provinces.

 

Army troops and police were deployed to rescue residents trapped in flooded villages in the hard-hit provinces of Aurora, where the typhoon made landfall early on Sunday, and Nueva Ecija, a nearby rice-growing province where floodwaters swamped rice farmlands at harvest time.

 

After slamming into Aurora's Casiguran town after midnight on Saturday, the typhoon weakened and slowed down, hemmed in by the Sierra Madre mountain range and a high pressure area in the country's north and another typhoon far out in the Pacific in the east, government forecaster Gladys Saludes said.

 

Howling winds knocked down trees and electric posts, leaving nine entire provinces without power, while floods and small landslides made 25 roads and bridges impassable. Authorities suspended dozens of flights and sea voyages due to the stormy weather, and many cities cancelled classes on Monday.

 

Late Sunday night, the typhoon was blowing over the northern mountainous province of Ifugao and was continuing to weaken. It had sustained winds of 130 kilometres (80 miles) per hour and gusts of up to 160 kph (100 mph) and was blowing northwards at just 5 kph (3 mph), according to the government's weather agency. It is expected to weaken to a tropical storm by late Monday and exit the main northern island of Luzon on Wednesday.

 

While weather conditions had begun to improve in some towns, and villagers had started to clear roads of fallen trees and debris, Koppu still packed a ferocity that could set off landslides and flash floods, officials said.

 

"We're asking our countrymen not to become complacent," said Alexander Pama, who heads the government's disaster-response agency, citing how rainwater could cascade down mountainsides after Koppu passed and flood villages.

 

That happened in low-lying villages in six towns in Nueva Ecija, near Aurora, where some residents were trapped on rooftops by floodwaters, said Nigel Lontoc, from the Office of Civil Defence.

 

A teenager was pinned to death on Sunday by a fallen tree, which also injured four people and damaged three houses in suburban Quezon city in the Manila metropolis. In Subic town, north-west of Manila, a concrete wall collapsed and killed a 62-year-old woman and injured her husband, Mr Lontoc said.

 

Three fishermen who had gone missing at sea were rescued off northern Bataan province, and three other missing people were found in an evacuation camp in Aurora's Baler town, he said.

 

President Benigno Aquino III and disaster-response agencies had warned that Koppu's rain and winds may potentially bring more damage with its slow speed. But Saludes, the government forecaster, said that there was less heavy rain than expected initially in some areas, including in Manila, but that fierce winds lashed many regions.

 

Koppu, Japanese for "cup", is the 12th storm to hit the Philippines this year. An average of 20 storms and typhoons each year batter the archipelago, one of the world's most disaster-prone countries.

 

In 2013, Typhoon Haiyan, one of the most ferocious storms on record to hit land, barrelled through the central Philippines, levelling entire towns and leaving more than 7,300 people dead or missing.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/typhoon-koppu-hits-philippines-leaving-two-dead-and-16000-displaced-34118809.html

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7.3-magnitude quake hits Sarangani; residents warned of tsunami

Three people were injured and several structures were reported damaged following the magnitude-7.2 earthquake that struck Davao Occidental early Saturday.

Adrian Morales of the Official Civil Defense Region 12's Rehabilitation and Management Section said the three injuries were recorded in Glan town in Sarangani province.

The Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council of Glan town said that cracks were discovered at the building of the Glan Medicare Community Hospital, at the town's sea port and the police station following the quake.

The magnitude-7.2 quake was felt at Intensity 5 in Glan and two other towns in Sarangani province.

Three houses collapsed at the Pacman Subdivision while electricity was cut off in Malungon town, also in Sarangani Province.

Residents in coastal areas around the province have been allowed to return to their homes after the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology canceled the tsunami warning issued after the strong quake.

Malacañang on Saturday vowed to provide assistance to the victims of the quake as disaster officials continued to conduct rapid damage assessment in the affected areas.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/regions/608914/3-hurt-structures-damaged-after-7-2-quake-in-davao-occidental/story?top_picks&order=3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Residents evacuated amid Mount Mayon eruption warning !!!

The cone of Mount Mayon is almost completely obscured by ash and steam. Picture by RonLopezPH via Twitter.

People living near Mount Mayon has been ordered to evacuate their homes amid increasing volcanic activity.

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) has raised its alert level status from 1 to level 2 as the volcano began to spew ash and steam.

Mayon, known as the Fuji of the Philippines due to its near-perfect cone shape, had “phreatic or steam-driven eruption” yesterday (Saturday, January 13) and there was a further eruption today.

Yesterday’s eruption unleashed ash, rocks and a strong smell of sulphur. It was followed by rumbling sounds and a faint glow in the crater, Phivolcs said

Alert level 2 means that current activity is “probably of magmatic origin, which could lead to more phreatic eruptions or eventually to hazardous magmatic eruptions”.

 

A second ash eruption was recorded this morning, but Phivolcs has not yet raised the alert level any further.

Mayon’s biggest eruption was in 1841, when lava flows buried a town, killing 1,200 people. It last erupted in 2014.

“The public is strongly advised to be vigilant and desist from entering the six kilometre (3.7 mile) radius Permanent Danger Zone to minimise risks from sudden explosions, rockfall and landslides,” Phivolcs said in a statement today.

It advised people experiencing ashfall to cover their noses and mouths with a damp, clean cloth or dust mask. It also ordered aircraft to give the volcano a wide berth.

People living close to the volcano, but outside the official danger zone, were told to take precautionary measures against roof collapses due to accumulated ash and rainwater.

Phivolcs chief Renato Solidum said the volcano may be due for an eruption as it had been displaying abnormal behaviour for several month.

Despite this, Cedric Daep, head of the Albay Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office, said people in evacuation centres may be allowed to return home later today, unless Phivolcs raised the volcano alert level further.

“We have not reached the critical level,” he said in a radio interview. “Alert level 3 is what we considered critical, 4 is when eruption is imminent, and 5 is eruption in progress.”

http://philippineslifestyle.com/mayon-volcanoeruption-warning/

Greetz , Stealth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plans where in the making for me to go and visit that one by next yr , the travel agent was selling some cool package with ATV quad tour and all , tja , it need to cool off first before i give it another try , been to pinatubo and taal already.....

Greetz , Stealth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like what we saw was just a show , now come the real , " BANG "

" Health alert as Mount Mayon spews huge plume of ash "

Mount Mayon has sent a huge plume of ash and steam 10 kilometres into the sky, prompting respiratory health warnings.

The alert level has been raised to four, on a scale of five, meaning that an explosive eruption is possible within hours or days.

The noontime explosion today (Monday, January 22) sent superheated lava, molten rocks and steam cascading down Mount Mayon’s slopes and shrouded nearby villages in darkness, said Renato Solidum, chief of the Philippine Institute of Seismology and Volcanology (Phivolcs).

The danger zone around the volcano has now been was extended to eight kilometres (five miles) from the crater.

“If the eruption is vertical, it’s possible pyroclastic flows or pyroclastic density currents may cascade down in all directions,” Mr Solidum said.

More than 27,000 villagers have fled since Mayon started looking restless on January 14.

Philippine Red Cross Chairman Richard Gordon has urged people near the volcano to wear face masks and remain alert for other health hazards.

He said: “We urge the affected individuals to wear dust masks or anything to cover their nose and mouth to protect themselves from catching harmful emissions from the volcanic ash.

“We also advise the residents to report immediately to their local health centres and nearest Red Cross chapter in case of health concerns from volcanic ash.”

Exposure to falling ash can cause a variety of respiratory problems such as nose and throat irritation, coughing, bronchitis-like illness, and discomfort while breathing. Eye irritation and minor skin problems are also among the possible effects of exposure.

According to the Department of Health in Bicol, 516 evacuees have already been diagnosed with respiratory tract infection. They are all said to be stable condition.

Classes were suspended in all levels in Albay today and Legazpi Airport has been closed.

Mount Mayon has erupted about 50 times in the last 500 years, sometimes violently.

In 2013, an ash eruption killed five climbers who had ventured near the summit despite warnings. Mayon’s first recorded eruption was in 1616 and the most destructive, in 1814, killed 1,200 people and buried the town of Cagsawa in volcanic mud.

The Philippines lies in the so-called “Ring of Fire,” a line of seismic faults surrounding the Pacific Ocean where earthquakes and volcanic activity are common.

In 1991, Mount Pinatubo, near Angeles City, exploded in one of the biggest volcanic eruptions of the 20th century, killing about 800 people.

 

Mayon.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Earthquake in Central Luzon 6.1 Richter- Clark Airport Closed-Power Outage in Angeles City 90 kilometers from the epicenter

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – At least 7 people were injured at the Clark International Airport, which sustained damage following the magnitude 6.1 earthquake on Monday, April 22.

In a statement on Monday evening, Clark International Airport Corporation President Jim Melo said 7 people suffered minor injuries when part of the ceiling at the check-in lobby collapsed.

The 7 injured were immediately brought to a nearby hospital, Melo said.

Flights were also suspended starting 7:40 pm on Monday, as authorities began to assess the damage.

"Clark control tower has sustained a broken glass panel. Accordingly, the tower is not being utilized at the moment while awaiting full damage assessment," said Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines Director General Jim Sydiongco.

While the runway was not damaged, parts of the terminal were destroyed, as captured in photos by those who were inside:

LOOK: Clark Airport was severely damaged after a magnitude 6.1 #earthquake hit Luzon on Monday afternoon, April 22. #EarthquakePH Lance Lauren/@lancelauren_ pic.twitter.com/wl9kifcCCz

Canceled flights of Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines, along with options for affected passengers, can be viewed here.

At the Ninoy Aquino International Airport, the earthquake did not affect takeoffs and landings, according to Manila International Airport Authority General Manager Ed Monreal. A runway inspection was also conducted to ensure safety.

Monday's earthquake rocked parts of Luzon at 5:11 pm, with some areas in Pampanga experiencing intensities V and IV. At least 5 people were reported dead in the province.

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said the epicenter of the earthquake was located in Castillejos, Zambales. – Rappler.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The eathquake Tuesday in Samar (6.4-6.5) was quite a big stronger than the earthquake near Angeles.  Note the Richter scale is logarithmic which means a 6.4 earthquake is triple the strength of a 6.1

There was also an aftershock near Angeles of 4.5 which is really nothing unless you are extremely close to the epicenter.

ML = log10A - log10A0(δ)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was inside my room on the 9th floor @ Central Park towers in April 2019 when the quake hit 

Not a pleasant experience i can tell you folks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2019 at 7:14 PM, azza33 said:

Was inside my room on the 9th floor @ Central Park towers in April 2019 when the quake hit 

Not a pleasant experience i can tell you folks

It woke me up from my afternoon nap.   There was an aftershock a couple days later.  Thought it might have been a dream.  The aftershock was much weaker and not as scary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was watching netflix at the time... addicted to The Blacklist B)

Felt the quake... wasn't too worried at first... then my chandelier starts swinging back and forth into the roof...  glass began flying everywhere.... wall tiles are peeling off... then the whole building got the wobbles....

Wish it was a dream...

On a positive - great cardio going up and down 9 stories via the stairs .... one lift was non operational and the other was grinding metal as it went up and down.. didn't inspire much confidence

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet another disaster to hit the Philippines. The Taal volcano has spewed ash and is now at alert level 4 which means that it can erupt at any time. ( Level 5 is when magma spews from the volcano)

Last Updated: an hour ago

an hour ago

Taal Volcano updates

Taal Volcano updates, as of Monday morning:

 

• Lava has reached the surface of the volcano

• Volcanic quakes will persist around less than magnitude 4

• We reiterate the evacuation of the Taal Volcano Island and high-risk areas within the 14km radius of the crater

https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2020/1/13/Philippines-Taal-Volcano-eruption-live-updates.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usual shit going on here!

theyve declared a holiday and started reaching out for foreign aid within minutes.....

 

thousands of 5 years old typhoon aid containers are still sitting on the wharves until the Red Cross pays $20M in import duties. 

38C3819E-4434-4A11-9F92-2DD4695520D5.jpeg

78CC479D-1E52-4DB3-A08B-F1529E223D50.jpeg

95940429-E748-4371-B381-E3518CC9E2B9.jpeg

42A6462A-2616-4A71-AA4B-A4B01009B117.jpeg

1C24463C-35C8-4302-B317-0D847F1CBC16.png

38851437-CDA6-46F1-8097-20E3B8A2BD40.png

C1A9AA87-9CBE-4F6F-8AA6-88012E4DD261.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...