Air Asia Moving To Don Muang On October 1st

pdogg

This might be old news to some of you but this is the first I've seen it laid out as definite.

Bad for guys who live in Pattaya since taking the Bell Bus to Swampy is so easy.

Guess it'll bring back happy memories of deplaning at Don Muang on my holiday trips. What a rush it was!

AirAsia moves to Don Mueang Airport (1 October 2012)

Since our announcement to move to Don Mueang International Airport (DMK) many questions have been asked and we've created this page just to help you!

WHY?

1. Expansion

We are growing and in DMK, there is more than enough space for our expansion plans of 48 Airbus A320s.

2. Air traffic

With less air traffic, taking off and landing would be a breeze in DMK.

3. Comfort

DMK has world-class facilities as it is one of Thailand’s main hubs for air travel.

4. Convenience

Faster bag claim and immigration checks.

WHERE?

Located on the northern edge of Bangkok, it is easily accessible by any mode of transportation and it takes about 30 minutes into the city centre, Chatuchak Market and many other nearby attractions.

I'm very pissed off about this, my usual plan is land at Swampy, grab my luggage then head upstairs to the Air Asia desks and get the fuck out of Bangkok to Phuket, Isaan or even Chiang Mai with Air Asia.

next trip is after the switchover, I don't fancy trying to make a taxi connection to Don Mueng so I'm going to force myself onto the Pattaya bound Bell Bus for a couple of days R&R in the sewer before I make my connection to Isaan.

I'm very pissed off about this, my usual plan is land at Swampy, grab my luggage then head upstairs to the Air Asia desks and get the fuck out of Bangkok to Phuket, Isaan or even Chiang Mai with Air Asia.

I was in two minds whether to Fly Air Asia from BKK to Phuket, thankfully I stuck to my original plan and booked with Bangkok Air (U-Tapao - HKT return) seeing as Im based in Pattaya.

Sure I could have saved myself 2500 baht doing it the Air Asia way, but considering the time I would have have wasted is it really worth it?

You're left with either Thai Airlines/Thai Smile

http://www.thaismileair.com/

Or Bangkok Airways.

http://www.bangkokair.com/eng

Both of which will set you back around 5,000baht roundtrip to Phuket/Isaan/Chiang Mai.

If you're having a day or 2 in BKK on the way out,you could go one way to Phuket with Thai or Bangkok airways,then go with one of the budget carriers from Phuket to Don Muang.

Well, initially I was REEEEEALLY pissed off about this, especially has I live up here in Chiang Mai & therefore no longer have direct access to Pattaya through any discount airlines... What a fuckin' bumer!!!

But then I thought, hmmm, Pattaya's really been losing its shine for me over the past few years now, my last two trips were fuckin' disasters, I've either banned myself or out lived my welcome in so many of the LB bars, the beach is shit, the attitude's shit... And I've sunk a small fortune into yo-yoing backwards & forwards to hang out with my chums & spend like a tourist!.. I just really don't love the place enough anymore to want to have to fight my way through the Bangkok hordes (with luggage) & then sit on a bus next to some farting Pakkie, for God knows how many hours, just for some, face down, lust in the dust, down by the sea. :character0007:

So, I thought to myself, fuck it, I know what I'm going to do, I'm going to go out & upgrade my motorbike (all for roughly the same cost of two Pattaya trips)... And then that way, if I do want to go down to that stinking, fuckin' shithole, I can amble down at my leisure, on my own motorbike, taking in the sites & delights & whenever I like, too!

And what’s more, I'll have my own transport when I get there!... No screaming matches with tossy fuckin' cab drivers, no fuckin' Bell bus, no fuckin' bike rental fiascos... BINGO!

Now all I've got to do is just hope that I don't get taken out by an articulated lorry driver on drugs, whist I'm on the way down there.

:roadrage:

Wish me luck

And then that way, if I do want to go down to that stinking, fuckin' shithole, I can amble down at my leisure, on my own motorbike, taking in the sites & delights & whenever I like, too!

... No screaming matches with tossy fuckin' cab drivers, no fuckin' Bell bus, no fuckin' bike rental fiascos... BINGO!

Don't forget the numb ass and flies in your teeth :happy0148:

I don't fancy getting to Don Muang for my flights to/from Phnom Penh. But it'd be interesting to see what the place looks like now, got so used to Suvarnabhumi I've forgotten.