Do You Like Ice In Your Beer?

DownLoLarry

Many Thais drink their beer with ice. This probably came about years ago when refrigeration was less common in Thailand. I like ice in my beer since I'm looking to be less drunk when I drink (WTF is wrong with me :pardon: ).

Seems as if New York's Mayor Bloomberg who also owns Bloomberg Business Channel also is an iceman. See below from the NY Times:

Updated, 4:55 p.m. February 15, 2011, 3:30 pm

Like Bloomberg, People in Thailand Like Icy Beer, Too

When the mayor said Monday that he likes to drink his beer with ice, beer connoisseurs criticized him as a wimp, a philistine and worse. On Twitter, some wondered if suds on the rocks were grounds for impeachment.

But perhaps the scolds were just hanging out in the wrong circles. Nod Kulchirarak, 32, a Thai immigrant, said her Thai friends in Elmhurst, Queens, always drank beer with ice at their parties, a common custom back home. The parties, she added, can get pretty raucous.

“Some people say it makes the beer a little lighter,” she said. And lighter beer means, of course, that people can drink more of it — hence the Elmhurst ruckus.

Ms. Kulchirarak, the manager at a Thai restaurant in Manhattan, said she thought the mayor would fit right in. “I would love to invite him if he would love to come and join us,” she said.

Beer is served with ice in bars across Thailand, Laos and other countries in Southeast Asia in an often-futile attempt to keep the brew cold if the refrigerator is not up to the formidable task.

“It’s inevitable in an area where there are only three seasons – hot, hotter and hottest,” said Jan Apanich, who helps run Paleewong Trading Company, an importer of Thai beer.

If you grow up drinking beer with ice, Thai restaurateurs said, you can grow to like it. Mr. Bloomberg could have been offered as proof: He said Monday during a tour of the Brooklyn Brewery that he has “always done it.”

His offhand statement quickly became the second alcohol-related news that he made in less than a week. Last Wednesday, he told a group of Irish-Americans that he remembered seeing them “totally inebriated” on the Fifth Avenue balcony of a historical association, remarks that some saw as culturally insensitive. Mr. Bloomberg’s office declined to say where, how or from whom he had picked up his beer-icing habit.

In Elmhurst at least, news of Mr. Bloomberg’s preference for beer on the rocks was met with delight. “It’s strange here, but it’s normal in Thailand,” said Duangjai Thammasat, the owner of Ayada, a Thai restaurant in Elmhurst renowned for its authenticity.

Ayada has a B.Y.O.B. policy, but Ms. Thammasat said many of her Thai customers asked for ice when they opened their bottles. “There’s nothing wrong with that,” she said. “They get used to it.”

Ms. Thammasat couldn’t comment on whether ice made beer more refreshing; she doesn’t drink beer. “I drink whiskey,” she said. “With ice.”

I've been know to splash out on a 5 Baht bag of ice in a mini mart to stretch the 30 baht Archa on occasion. :rolleyes:

The good ole days of Minimart 24 just outside Sunee on Soi VC! :drinks:

A few weeks ago I was at X-Zone, a favorite haunt of fisting aficionados, held out my mig of 49 baht draft, and gizamm, a gg shot an ice cube out of her lovehall right into me beer. :startle:

Now that's added flavor without the added calories!!! Butt-Lite

Just for clarity, the ice cube came from a gg's pussy. I'm sure if it cane from her backdoor, the Pattaya Board of Health would shutter the place in a New York minute?

Tastes great? Less filling? Strangely for a few days afterward I could hardly talk, laryngytis of sorts. I don't think it was the flying cube though. Rather lots of talking above the loud music.

I'm from England, I like warm dark beer that you can stand a dildo up in & which also gets you obnoxiously drunk... And I'm proud of it!

This is probably just about the only one respect in which I don't consider myself to be a 'world' citizen.

Bah!!.. Ice in beer, whatever next, you'll be drinking skimmed milk in bars soon, maybe it’s OK for colonials, but for most of us Brits, nah!!

Seriously, I've been known to bomb the odd cube in a chang, just to slow me down a bit, but I do often feel incredible guilt afterwards... Just like when I first started stuffin' ice cubes up LB's?!

Just for clarity, the ice cube came from a gg's pussy. I'm sure if it cane from her backdoor, the Pattaya Board of Health would shutter the place in a New York minute?

Tastes great? Less filling? Strangely for a few days afterward I could hardly talk, laryngytis of sorts. I don't think it was the flying cube though. Rather lots of talking above the loud music.

Com'on PDogg... Fess up, tell the truth... We've all been in trouble for a day or two after being in one of these sort of bars