Not really. I learned what I call "survival Thai" -- how to order my favorite dishes in a restaurant -- making sure I get it spicy and not the falang-friendly version, giving directions to a cab driver, things like that. But not enough to carry on a meaningful conversation purely in Thai. And I think you are absolutely right; after six months I needed to get back to the big city, as I didn't have much in common with the five -- count 'em, five -- other falang that lived in town.

That's why I'm making more of a concerted effort these days to learn Vietnamese and Thai; unfortunately I'm not a polyglot and it comes slowly to my middle-aged brain. But until I can carry on a conversation with a native speaker beyond the "how-are-you-what's-your-name" type of conversations, I'll stick to the big cities for day-to-day living.

The language thing is probably the main reason i prefer the PI or Dom Rep or Costa Rica, especially for future long term, if there be any such again.. In PI of course lots of English, and in CR or even the DR, Spanish is 100 times easier to pick up than Thai is.

I am no polyglot either, I admire people whom as adults, can speak several languages well. I can make my wishes known in Spanish, understand about half of what they say to me if they speak slowly, and other than a handful of Thai words, that is the limit of my foreign language skill.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumblee, you and i used to cross paths on cam frog, i found cam frog fun but hard to get them interested, so moved on. I tried thaifriendly which is more pro active, and on my recent trip i called a few who id met there, one in particular from pattaya called cat was a fantastic girl from na glua

It can be hit and miss, a couple of the ones i met looked a million dollars on line but in reality they were old has beens.

Photos can tell a different story on line to the reality of meeting a girl face to face

My point being, its basically a waist of time, better to get of the jet and just walk around.you will soon find what turns you on, the chemistry.

Bangkok was dripping with Lbs as was Patts.

I really enjoyed cruising Pattaya on my moped and grabbing girls of the supermarklet shelfs there.

Next time i doubt id use Thaifriendly cheers

the flash

• Upvote 1