Australian scientists have found a magnetar in our cosmic backyard

I found the information yesterday and looked for web pages in English. It's a light subject to forget a little bit political and covid related topics. 

An Australian studient detected a strange object only 4,000 light-years away from the earth. It's original. Senior astronomers seconded him (and he got his PhD). More explainations in these pages. 

There's a Magnetar In Our Cosmic Backyard - ExtremeTech

Scientists in Australia discover 'first of its kind' object in the Milky Way that flashes on and off | Euronews

Mysterious energy source unlike anything astronomers have seen before (phys.org)

The team leader Astrophysicist Dr. Natasha Hurley-Walker's twitter page Dr Natasha Hurley-Walker (@ColourfulCosmos) / Twitter

• Like 4

yes i watched it on a special i think as the abc australia. it shows to keep all the old data for referencing, the new south africa/australia array and the new james web telescope is going to bring so much more inpho in the coming years , its really quite exciting .my neighbour s son  is an astrophysicist and has worked on the south pole telescope that helped get the pictures of the 1st  black hole. these people are truly inspirational. 

• Like 2
On 1/29/2022 at 9:14 PM, Pulci Gorgon said:

I found the information yesterday and looked for web pages in English. It's a light subject to forget a little bit political and covid related topics. 

Fully agree and to me the wonders of the cosmos put into perspective all the little trivial things we make such a fuss about on our tiny little rock in the vastness of space.  Besides the celestial bodies in TJs and Emmy bar :) this is the type of stuff that gets my attention these days.  To think that the light photons they are seeing today have been traveling across space since the Bronze Age.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, bumblebee said:

Fully agree and to me the wonders of the cosmos put into perspective all the little trivial things we make such a fuss about on our tiny little rock in the vastness of space.  Besides the celestial bodies in TJs and Emmy bar :) this is the type of stuff that gets my attention these days.  To think that the light photons they are seeing today have been traveling across space since the Bronze Age.

actually some photons from the original big bang have travelled since then to go bang into your retina. the amazing thing for them is they would have experienced no time at all until then .  

• Like 2
On 1/31/2022 at 11:30 PM, bumblebee said:

So these photons are a similar age to you?.