SUKHUMWIT SOI 4 TO BE CLOSED!!

Trenton42

A well heeled American bar owner is spearheading the effort to turn Soi 4 into Bangkok’s own Walking Street. The plan calls for closing Soi 4 from 7PM until sunrise.

I understand a selling point they’re using is NEP safety concerns in light of the recent terror warnings in Bangkok.

Soi 4 bar owners may be in favor of the proposal, but hotels (such as Nana Hotel and Dynasty Inn) are balking at the idea.

It’s thought to take up to two years for the approval process (prolly meaning it’ll take the Thais that long to come up with the invitation list to the tea party), so if this pans out, Soi 4 should start closing before 2015.

IMO, it’s not a bad idea. But if they put a night market in the middle of Soi 4, I’ll be pissed!

The footpath (sidewalk) is very narrow in many parts. There is only room for 2 people in these places. OK if people use common sense but some idiots want to take over the entire footpath with their "companion". They expect others to take to the road to pass. Very dangerous especially with your back to oncoming traffic.

Silly idea, there are lots of hotels at the end of the soi that would be screwed if that happens. Plus it would bring more visibility to Soi 4, which the Thais want to keep a dirty little secret.

Bu then again, this is the Land Of Silly , so maybe it will happen.

It’s not *that* silly. Soi Bangla, Walking Street, Soi Cowboy, and Patpong are already closed; Soi 4 is the last holdout.

It could be that Soi 4 will be closed only to Soi 6. And access to anything beyond could be via Soi 6 or the Tobacco Monopoly.

The Nana Hotel and Dynasty Inn might bitch, but they know who their customers are, and it wouldn’t take much to convince them of the trouble they would be in should NEP disappear.

I think it is a good idea. They could close Soi 4 from Sukhumvit to Soi 6 and turn Soi 6 one way flowing in the opposite direction it currently does. This would service the hotels farther down on Soi 4. The exit would be via the Tobacco Monopoly.

By the time all of this happens Trenton will be pushing me along the Soi in a wheelchair as I droll out the side of my mouth muttering something about the good old days when the traffic was backed up for miles.. :)

It’s not *that* silly. Soi Bangla, Walking Street, Soi Cowboy, and Patpong are already closed; Soi 4 is the last holdout.

It could be that Soi 4 will be closed only to Soi 6. And access to anything beyond could be via Soi 6 or the Tobacco Monopoly.

The Nana Hotel and Dynasty Inn might bitch, but they know who their customers are, and it wouldn’t take much to convince them of the trouble they would be in should NEP disappear.

Note that Soi Bangla, Soi Cowboy and Soi Patpong 1 & 2 are all privately owned and not public throughfares. Walking Street is dominated by bars and bargoer establishments (rest. etc), so little resistance, I suspect. Most don't know, but Soi 4 has a very large residential community further down as well has some Thai high rollers who would not be amused! Glass

• 9 months later...

This had been planned to start about 2 months ago, but then got cancelled at the last minute for whatever reason. Seemingly its all back on and this time they have laid out all the chairs in the Nana Hotel car park ready for the VIP's to do whatever they do tonight at 8pm. No idea of anything else such as when it will start, what times it will be in effect, what happens to cars wanting to go down Soi 4 at night or anything else of such detail. I guess its a 'suck it & see deal' !!!!

More details to follow once someone explains what it all means.

There was a huge turn out of cops around the Nana Hotel car park this evening around 7.30 or so. There was also a line of promotional guys and girls at the entrance to Nana Plaza wearing white T-shirts with "I (heart) Police" emblazoned on the front.

They all work for the various Hillary Group bars in Soi 4 such as Hillary 1,2,3,4 & Morning Night bar. They were assembling outside Guess last night and it was an impressive sight - this is not even half of the staff they employ in just one soi.

post-495-0-01423900-1356066383_thumb.jpg

post-495-0-69040600-1356066387_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

All the Noodle bars and stalls have gone as well ouside NEP

, pretty dead last night in Nana all round. Not busy at all....Maybe it will start to pick up over the weekend. Obsessions will be a private Japanese club soon,im sure of it

Nana was very quiet but also the bars were devoid of many many girls - I suspect it had something to do with the police launch of a safer Soi 4 and presumably many were worried the drug testing police would be raiding bars to set an example. ironically nothing happened aside from the big wigs doing some general walk around. What was very clear though is that any showing was deffo off the menu last night.

You are probably right Khun Xyzzy...Course you can get to Soi 4 from it's other end through that complex and also from Soi 2 through the Rajah Car Park...So I suppose it wouldn't be impossible for folks who lived down Soi 4 to get in and out in the evening...Just a bit troublesome...But then going anyplace in BKK at any time of the day or night is troublesome...

I don't think this is going to happen the way it was initially planned. For a start, it seems that traffic will not be stopped. Which kinda makes the whole thing somewhat shallow but that is how things often pan out in Thailand. Presumably they could not resolve the access which is easily solved by using the private access through the Tobacco monopoly land which is what soi 4 runs into at the far end. That would be easiest way to handle it.