Khmer Words And Phrases

DownLoLarry

• 3 weeks later...

It was a slip of the key punching fingers Sam.

Bumblebee & I have been gossiping so much about various nicks and real names that that one just got typed in there sans thought. I doubt willie will be offended, and if you're cross, I'll sorry and boo hoo.

It was a slip of the key punching fingers Sam.

Bumblebee & I have been gossiping so much about various nicks and real names that that one just got typed in there sans thought. I doubt willie will be offended, and if you're cross, I'll sorry and boo hoo.

Not offended at all ken,nice to see siamsam is keeping an eye out for faux pas....

• 5 months later...

tik tik = little bit khmer

Thank you pd. I now know tik tik and yam yam - that's a pretty encouraging start.

Little bit Khmer and a cock suck.

Being as I can ask for Angkor draft & spaghetti bolognese in English, what more do I need?

Thank you pd. I now know tik tik and yam yam - that's a pretty encouraging start.

Little bit Khmer and a cock suck.

Being as I can ask for Angkor draft & spaghetti bolognese in English, what more do I need?

Boom boom? B)

For clarificarion "tik tik" means "a little bit" in khmer.

• 3 weeks later...

Now, here's one for the Cambodia knowledgeable:

We have a Khmer name, let's say it's Bong Sumuvit.

Now, which is family name, which is given?

Which one is used in polite and formal address?

For example in English we have a name like Ken Watanabe.

Ken given.

Formally we address him as Mr Watanabe.

Informally as Ken.

In some Asian cultures such as Vietnamese and Japanese

that name would be written as Watanabe Ken,

family name first.

Formally though we would say Mr Ken (not Mr Watanabe as we do in English).

In other Asian cultures such as Indonesian, though highly variable, they mostly do same same as English.

So the Foreign Minister is Mr Marti Natalagawa, same same as us regards order and formality.

What's the go for Khmer names?

Help me please.

• Upvote 1

Feeling lazy Ken so got Wikipedia on the case. :biggrin:

"Cambodian names almost always consist of two elements: a surname, given first, and then a given name. In the Western press, however, some Cambodians indicate their names with their given name before their surname. There are no middle names. Generally, women are given names of things of beauty, while men are given names of virtues. Surnames are usually taken from the surname or the given name of the father and are generally monosyllabic. Cambodian surnames are sometimes identical to Chinese or Vietnamese surnames. Women keep their maiden names after marriage.

Cambodian people are called by their given names without a title (informal) or by their given names with a title (formal); surnames are not a usual form of address (Surnames are used as a form of address, however, in the case of names that originated as revolutionary aliases.)[clarification needed]

Different naming traditions exist among ethnic groups other than the Khmer majority. Among the Muslim minority, Arabic names are often used as family names."

• Upvote 1