Daylight Savings Time

SiamSam

It is Daylight Savings Time (DST) in Canada. It started today. I personally hate it since I prefer more light in the morning than in the evening. One out of ten provinces in Canada (Saskatchewan) does not observe it. I believe two states in the US (Arizona & Hawaii) do not observe it. The rest of the world seems to tag along for no good reason other than to stay in step with US business hours. 

DST was put forth by Benjamin Franklin to the French as a joke. In an article he wrote he calculated how much candle wax would be saved if they push forward by an hour in the spring. This idea did not have any legs until the early 1900's when savvy businessmen in the US realized they could sell more if they had an extra hour of light at the end of the day. For example the US candy lobby pushed hard to have DST extended to the end of October so little trick and treaters had an extra hour of daylight to do their Halloween harvest of candy.

Just want to know your thoughts on this DST practise. Is it still necessary to disrupt people's lives twice a year for an idea that may not serve any useful purpose whatsoever? 

Your thoughts?

• Upvote 1

I am with BB on this one, love the clear nights, where here in Belfast come June it can be light to round about 11p.m.

Story at home about DST is that the farmers campaigned many years ago to have an extra hours daylight in the winter mornings, to allow them to get work done???