The Rocky Horror Picture Show

SiamSam

On August 14th, 1975 "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" was released. It's 40 years old today. Quite a unique and bold movie for its time. It became a huge cult classic. Take a read of where the stars of the movie are today.

I'm just a Sweet Transvestite from Transexual, Transylvania!   

A cult classic for sure, with weekend midnight shows that included lots of audience participation.

Here's a video that includes both the original and the cast from the TV show, Glee.

At the time of the picture's very small and limited 1975 theatrical release I knew absolutely nothing about it. I stumbled on it totally by accident. 

During a very windy, cold, miserable winter night I found myself walking in front of an old run down theatre and noticed a poster advertising this movie called "The Rocky Horror Picture Show". It caught my eye and I found it interesting with this guy lounging in stockings and garter belt across the laps of some very weird characters. The next showing was in about 15 minutes. Since I was cold and wet I decided to go in. I bought a ticket, some popcorn and took my seat. The theatre was a rat hole and smelled terribly. There was probably 7 or 8 other lost souls in the theatre undoubtedly there for the reasons as me.

The movie started and within 2 minutes of the show I was hooked and knew I was in for a ride. What a thoroughly incredible, unforgettable experience. Great fucking movie. I must of seen it 20 times and watched its rise to cult status. One of the best all time movies IMO.
  • Upvote 1

I love The Rocky Horror Picture Show, I have seen it on Video and DVD too many times to remember. At one point in my life I could sing along to almost every song in the show....now its just a couple (Time Warp and Sweet Transvestite). As a 20 something old young man I got talked into going to see the show with a group of men and women from my work, we all went dressed up, the full works stockings suspenders, knickers, high heels make up etc, the theatre was full and the atmosphere was amazing.

There are unfortunately (Or thankfully as I view it, as I was not a pretty sight dressed :bad:) no photographs of the evening or though a few were taken I seem to remember. Its a fantastic show and if I ever get another chance to see it live I would go no questions asked, it is a true cult classic - not everybody's cup of tea - but a really good film.

• Upvote 1

I love The Rocky Horror Picture Show, I have seen it on Video and DVD too many times to remember. At one point in my life I could sing along to almost every song in the show....now its just a couple (Time Warp and Sweet Transvestite). As a 20 something old young man I got talked into going to see the show with a group of men and women from my work, we all went dressed up, the full works stockings suspenders, knickers, high heels make up etc, the theatre was full and the atmosphere was amazing.

There are unfortunately (Or thankfully as I view it, as I was not a pretty sight dressed :bad:) no photographs of the evening or though a few were taken I seem to remember. Its a fantastic show and if I ever get another chance to see it live I would go no questions asked, it is a true cult classic - not everybody's cup of tea - but a really good film.

Good recall anubis009. Did the audience throw rice during the wedding? 

To be honest Sam I cant remember if any rice was thrown at the wedding now it could have been but I don't remember. I do however remember spending ages trying to work out where I had seen the actor playing Frank N. furter I finally worked it out, it was an actor by the name of Rupert Giles who had been in a coffee advert on tv he also played the librarian in the series Buffy the vampire slayer...all be it without the stockings and high heels!.

Initially panned by most film critics "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" grew to become the all time longest running film in theatrical release world wide. It's still thriving. No other movie comes close. Go figure. 

It was released in 1975. Mel Brook's released "Young Frankenstein" in 1974. I wonder if it inspired "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" or was TRHPS already in the works. 

Both movies are cinema classics!!.

I never got it...saw it once, that's it, & I'm a hard-core movie fan. Perhaps it's the over-the top, campy style of humor that I just don't appreciate. Same with drag shows, found the idea wonderful & the reality not so much.  I can't be jaded since I didn't get it right from the beginning. 

BTW did you know that Tim Curry had a major stroke a few years ago? He is in a wheelchair, partially paralyzed & has difficulty speaking now, apparently rarely goes out. Pity, I saw him on Broadway in Spamalot several years ago, a real presence then...

• 2 months later...