Puzzles and Conundrums

Lefty

1 hour ago, Pdoggg said:

Yes, well done Sydney John!  This was really stumping me.

Since the blue and red triangles have different slopes then neither A or B are actually triangles but rather they are quadrilatetals. So A and B have different areas with neither being exactly 32.5 which would be the area of a 13 x 5 triangle. 

It's almost imperceptible but the diagonal in fig A is just below a straight line and in fig B it is just above a straight line with the total of the differences making 1 square. It is most noticeable when looking at the points where the blue and red triangles meet each other in each diagram by looking at the same point in the other diagram.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple of short-time quickies - Family riddles ..

1.  I am your mother's brother's only brother in-law. 
-  Who am I?

2.  Looking at a picture a man says "Brothers and sisters I have none, but this man's father is my father's son".
- Who is the man in the picture in relation to the man looking at it?

• Like 2

this one is very well known among those that like these novelties...i see it in a copy of Scientific American ... the best of its kind and a real fooler in every sense of the word. This is E.H.Adelsons gift to the world.

The answer to this poses a sort of conundrum of its own....can you see what is remarkable about the two squares A and B ?

shadow-illusion.jpg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, sydneyjohn57 said:

At a wild guess I'd say they are each a different size to all the other 'squares' if in fact they are squares. Would have to be some sort of optical illusion to do with the green cylinder and its shadow?

Now I'll have to google it to see how far wrong I am.

Ok, completely on the wrong track for that one.

well you were partly on track Syd... if you think about it , without giving anything away we will give you a Bronze . its all to do with Psychophysics or so it seems. The word squares is just a description and one could just call them tiles or checkers. ...the answer is a bit of a  hammer blow to the head when one finds out whats going on here

1 hour ago, seven said:

A and B are same colors? Please explain before I book an appointment for new specs.

If you get a small piece of white card and cut two small holes in it and then place it over A and B you will see they are the same colour.

Otherwise your brain fools you into seeing two colours , light and dark

Incredible ... or unbelievable..

https://www.businessballs.com/amusement-stress-relief/shadow-optical-illusion/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_shadow_illusion

2 hours ago, Tomcat said:

Is Quinn giving us a clue here Dixon or have you driven a Tractor over his new carpet

I think he just doesn't like these types of images :biggrin:

2 hours ago, seven said:

A and B are same colors? Please explain before I book an appointment for new specs.

Here, just for you :Monkey:

shadowAB.png.dedb6fb6f55f31736d39627849469a3d.png

• Like 1
8 hours ago, sydneyjohn57 said:

My old eyes see 2 numbers. Top line 2488 and underneath 421

You are painfully close, Syd, and are clearly doing it right. However, two numbers are wrong.

11 hours ago, Tomcat said:

why dont you tip your mit then Syd... ?   i cant see anything other than a carpet with some marks too erratic to be a code ..i tried the eye squinting and all that stuff

TC, there is a way to see what these images hold and once it happens it can become quite satisfying. It is also a nice exercise for your eyes. There are many to be found on the internet if you google 'magic eye'. Most people give up too easily. 

Here are a few tips:  Do NOT focus on the image itself, look through it. If you can see your reflection in your screen then that gives an idea of how it works. You do need two eyes. Relax them. Don't give up. I position myself about arms length from the screen to see them.