Fall of Saigon - 40 years on

KenW

Tomorrow, 30 April, marks the fortieth anniversary of the Fall of Saigon. How fast time is flying by for me and many others.

post-244-0-34134500-1430278598_thumb.jpg

Of course, as with most things Vietnam (war in VN, I mean) it's the American viewpoint. This is an image that will be more prolific here during the upcoming holiday long weekend.

post-244-0-23111800-1430278700_thumb.jpg

You history buffs correct me if I'm wrong, but my blurred old memory suggests this photo of the tank broaching the gates of the Presidential Palace on 30 April 1975 was taken by one of the famous western photojournalists present (Neil Davis, perhaps?).

Millions killed, and all for what? We could debate that of course, as many historians & politicians have done for decades.

Much has changed for Vietnam in the interim. As you are all aware. An interesting 40 years, about which much has been written. 

Independence Palace, as it's mostly called today, is a long standing tourist must-see in downtown Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). 

And for ladyboys, much has changed as well. Who can ever forget the evocative but condescending descriptions of them in Graham Greene's The Quiet American? And they howled about the streets through the 1990s and even early 2000s. Nowadays, contact with them is much more subtle, more to do with new social media & the internet. No surprises there, I suppose.

Here it's a 4 day long weekend, beginning tomorrow. Then Friday is May Day. So flags & marches & bands playing. I'm retreating to the countryside for a few days.

• Upvote 4

And for ladyboys, much has changed as well. Who can ever forget the evocative but condescending descriptions of them in Graham Greene's The Quiet American? And they howled about the streets through the 1990s and even early 2000s. Nowadays, contact with them is much more subtle, more to do with new social media & the internet. No surprises there, I suppose.

I forget.  Ladyboys weren't on my radar when I read it back in high school.

So ladyboys are less accepted in Vietnam now than they were 20 years ago?  That seems to buck a worldwide trend. I am assuming this is due to a government crackdown on street prostitution?

As for the war, from an American perspective, too many young people killed for what?  Communist Vietnam turned out just fine or so it seems.

"As for the war, from an American perspective, too many young people killed for what?"

--Pdogg

They were killed under false pretenses (Gulf of Tonkin, domino theory) for billions in profits for US corporations.

War is a racket; always has been.

• Upvote 1