Pilot Was Locked Out Of The Cockpit Before Crash In France

Pdoggg

If you want to open up your own thread about gun control be my guest.  I cannot believe you cannot grasp to what I am referring.  I am SPECIFICALLY talking about this situation.  You are off on a tangent.  You think an armed pilot is going to leave their weapon lying around the cockpit??  You think a 2 year old has access to the cockpit??

I'm not sure if you seriously suggest that Im saying an armed 2 year old could access cockpit?

Is that how you interpreted  my post with a link ( be it off topic regarding the plane crash in the french alps) about guns in the US.

You are joking, right? 

Of course Archie is right.

Anyway, it didn't take long for changes to occur, the Australian Government announced this morning that legislation is being introduced to ensure there are two people in the cockpit at all times. And other countries made similar announcements over the weekend.

Without denying your experience Arch, that's a big call. And I am not just referring to different airlines having different hiring policies, the problem for any airline is that individuals can change personality. The man they hired a few years back can develop mental illness due to any number of reasons. And smart people can keep it hidden for a very long time.

I think airlines have to be given special dispensation to be able to sack any pilot whenever they show symptoms of 'ab-normalcy'. Even if it just a report from fellow pilots who express alarm at someone's behaviour.

Just been reported that this murderer was treated for suicidal thoughts and tendencies before he was hired and before he got his pilots license.  Who knows what the hell he put on his application and how he filled out any kind of paperwork or even if Lufthansa knew about this.  I can only hope they didnt know.  But its damning either way.  Again, knowing what I know and talking to pilots in the USA I remain steadfast in my opinion that he would NOT have been hired in America......

And if the loonball who becomes suicidal happens to be the person carrying the gun...?!?

Well the object is to keep ANY loonball out of the cockpit-END OF.  We have just seen what a loonball can do if he so desires and this German loonball did NOT have a gun.

The FFDO program is totally voluntary and the pilots must pay all expenses for their training.  They go thru enhanced screening and can be dropped from the program at any time.  There are strict SOPs in handling the weapon while in the cockpit and while on duty.  From everything I have seen the SOPs are followed.  

Call it what you want. More guns isn't the answer.

Heres  something from your fav news station:  http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/31/woman-accidentally-shot-and-killed-by-2-year-old-in-walmart/

An Idaho nuclear research scientist who had taken her young relatives to Walmart to spend their holiday gift cards was killed Tuesday when her 2-year-old son pulled a loaded pistol from her purse and shot her. 

See, we just don't get shit like this in europe because  of gun control.

Yes, i'm sure european airlines got everything to learn from the US.

Look this is what you posted.  We are SPECIFICALLY talking about armed pilots.  You post about some 2 year old getting a hold of a weapon and killing someone.  What the hell did this have to do with the debate??  You went off on a tangent and was comparing apples to oranges.

You add a snide comment about European carriers learning from the US.  Maybe this is your beef.  You think, in this case, maybe they could??  I will say it again, if the 2 person rule is so bad why have some carriers adopted it immediately after this atrocity.

• 1 month later...

Andreas Lubitz, the co-pilot suspected of deliberately flying a German airliner into the French Alps, appears to have tried to rehearse the plane’s fatal dive during an earlier flight on the day of the crash, the French authorities said in a preliminary report on the crash published on Wednesday.
The initial findings by the Bureau of Investigations and Analyses, known by its French abbreviation B.E.A., show that the co-pilot repeatedly set the plane’s altitude to 100 feet during its outbound flight to Barcelona, Spain, from Düsseldorf, Germany, on March 24. The maneuvers, which were captured by the plane’s flight data recorder, took place while the flight’s captain had left the cockpit temporarily. The new information contained in the 29-page report provides further evidence suggesting that the 27-year-old co-pilot crashed the Airbus A320 intentionally after locking the captain out of the cockpit, killing himself and 149 others, on its return leg to Düsseldorf. An initial analysis of a cockpit audio recording retrieved from one of the plane’s so-called black boxes just days after the crash led a French prosecutor to declare that Mr. Lubitz had acted deliberately. Investigations by the German police later revealed that Mr. Lubitz had a history of severe depression dating to at least 2009 and that he had scoured the Internet for methods of committing suicide in the days before his final flight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/07/world/europe/germanwings-flight-9525-crash-andreas-lubitz.html